Thread: Persian love cakes and other bits of kitchen witchery.

Persian love cakes and other bits of kitchen witchery.

So I've been wanting to get more into baking recently, because my baking skills are not nearly on the same level as my cooking skills and I'd like to be better at it. In researching recipes that I'd like to try, I've come to realize that baking taps into the same part of my brain that does magic--I really like and enjoy the concentration and focus you need to properly execute a lot of good baking recipes. I also firmly believe that spices can absolutely work some magic if used correctly.

And, well, I know from experience that the way to a person's heart is frequently through their stomach.

So, riddle me this, MW: what would YOU make if...

a) you were trying to make new friends feel welcome and comfortable?
    b) make people feel settled and at ease after a squabble?
    c) impress a potential lover?

I don't have answers for the first two...yet...but I'm eyeing this for the third: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ve-cake-232273

Let's talk about magic and baking!
    The possibilities are endless.

I think vanilla is very much a soothing and comfort spice and nothing says comfort to me like warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream! I think it would also depend on your friends personal tastes, maybe do a bit of prying before hand to find out what flavors they like. I love to make pies with designs on the top. Maybe you can use extra pie crust dough to make symbols of harmony and peace on the top of the pie to encourage peace between squabblers?

On a somewhat related note- Garden Spells by Sara Addison Allen might be a book you would enjoy. It's a novel where the protagonist uses flowers and spices in her cooking to alter the moods of her clients. Another series along those lines is the Magical Bakery Mysteries series by Bailey Cates.
    Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

I live in New Jersey? Oh, that explains it...
    I'm going to have to go with Pizza. For all three situations. It's hard to pick something that everyone likes.
    I'm one of those people that can't stick to the recipe. Baking is more like chemistry to me. (Thank you Alton Brown!) I use the recipes more as a framework for my creative magic.
    Love to make different kinds of bread also.

Pizza can definitely be very loving. I worked for dining services when I was in college and I used to work a lot of shifts making pizzas. When I was in a good mood and feeling particularly affectionate toward the student body, I would go to the peanut butter and jelly bar and the ice cream station and take toppings that I'd use to make dessert pizzas. Peanut butter "sauce" with caramel drizzle, chocolate chips and marshmallows sprinkled on top, chocolate-stuffed crust...

...on the flip side, if someone pissed me off, I'd put together gross toppings combos. You're gonna be rude to me, football players? I'M ONLY PUTTING OUT PINEAPPLE AND OLIVE PIZZA FOR THE NEXT 15 MINUTES.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    My go to for a welcoming and comforting treat, be it for new or old friends, are traditional, Swedish cinnamon buns. So far I have not met a single person who doesn't love the sugary, cinnamon flavor with a small hint of cardamom in the dough.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Now I want cinnamon buns, Aeon.

On the savory side of things, I made a batch of potato soup for a friend back in the fall when they were having a bad week. Potato soup to me = "I want you to feel better."