Thread: The MW Crock Pot Recipe Book

The MW Crock Pot Recipe Book

For those of us who are "Cooking-Challenged" the rise of the Crock Pot in recent years (at least for me) has been amazing. With 5 growing kids (who eat SO FREAKING MUCH), being a nursing student, having lots of errands on a weekly basis, and overall house-maintenance - Its hard to find quick, easy dinner ideas for a family of 7. Seeing as I am a terrible, TERRIBLE cook (I literally have cooking ADD - I cannot follow a recipe at all...) - the crock pot and its easy peasy, very few ingredients, magic - is a life saver!

Post your favorite crock pot meals!

My absolute favorite is a 3 ingredient Apple Spice Pie!
    All you need is a stick of butter (8oz), a box of Spice Cake, and 2 cans of Apple Pie Filling,
    Dump the Apple Pie Filling in first, layer it with the Spice Cake mix, and top off with the butter stick.
    Set on high for 2.5-3 hours.

My children LOVE this. Its a Holiday favorite in my house! Top it off with ice cream or whipped cream for an extra special yummy treat!

So basically you can do anything with a crockpot, including cooking a turkey breast. Here's what I did on Thanksgiving:

You'll need:
    1 can or bottle of the beer of your choice (I used a lovely amber ale)
    The juice of 1 lemon
    A couple...glugs...of maple syrup (maybe a variable level of tablespoons? I don't know, I was also drinking a beer while doing this part...I just dumped some in)
    Chicken bouillon paste (I used like 3 spoonfuls, just enough to add that savory content. It depends on how much liquid is in your stock.)
    1 onion
    rosemary, thyme, oregano, whatever is in the kitchen that's good on birds. Black pepper, sea salt. Whatever. It was 8AM.
    Mushrooms. Whatever you can find. The legal variety, mind you. *makes vague hand waving motion*
    Celery. Maybe 2 handfuls of it, chopped. Include the greens, the greens give some awesome flavor.
    Carrots if you want them. Chop them into sticks as well.

Rub the herbs onto your turkey breast. Or if you're cooking a whole chicken, pet the whole bird. Mix your stock together--most of that beer (you gotta save a swig for quality control, right? Right), the lemon juice, the glugs of maple syrup, the chicken bouillon paste. If you taste the stock at this point, it'll probably taste awful, all bitter from the beer, and the maple syrup and chicken bouillon kinda circling like "what are you even doing". Don't worry. I only had the one beer while coming up with this concoction.

Anyway, shove the onion in your bird, throw the mushrooms into the stock, pour the stock around the bird. If you've got the crockpot that has the different time settings on it, like for 4 hours or 6 or whatever, do the 6-hour one. Add the carrots and celery at the 3-hour mark or so. I promise you, that bird will taste amazing.
    The possibilities are endless.

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    I do chili, I never use a recipe, but I cheat, mostly using canned stuff and sometimes even premixed spices such as "cajun seasoning", but I find flavors that go together, I have no specific recipes but I will find a theme. For example one of my award winning chili's was southwestern. I used chorizo as the meat, some black beans and kidney beans, a jar of fancy salsa with corn in it, some various peppers and some different spicy seasonings. Another one I found apple pie moonshine brats, so I ran with the apple pie thing, included some hard cider, beans, a little syrup, and some bacon if I remember correctly, as well as cinnamon, and other such spices, sort of a sweet, breakfasty flavor in a chili.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    I do chili, I never use a recipe, but I cheat, mostly using canned stuff and sometimes even premixed spices such as "cajun seasoning", but I find flavors that go together, I have no specific recipes but I will find a theme. For example one of my award winning chili's was southwestern. I used chorizo as the meat, some black beans and kidney beans, a jar of fancy salsa with corn in it, some various peppers and some different spicy seasonings. Another one I found apple pie moonshine brats, so I ran with the apple pie thing, included some hard cider, beans, a little syrup, and some bacon if I remember correctly, as well as cinnamon, and other such spices, sort of a sweet, breakfasty flavor in a chili.
    I did not know until this moment that I wanted a sweet-savory chili in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    I did not know until this moment that I wanted a sweet-savory chili in my life.
    Neither did I until I found the brats and started putting ideas together...sadly that wasn't the best chili ever, but I was working with flavors in chili I hadn't before...I think if I tweeked it a bit I could hit on the right combination.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Which actually brings up a fairly useful bit of advice. I rarely go into the store knowing what I want in my chili, I look around, see what sounds good, and build off of it.

I think developing cooking intuition is the best advice you can give anyone who's trying to learn how to cook. Learn what individual flavors taste like, and get a sense of how they'll taste together. All my fellow Thanksgiving orphans who were present for that dinner were kinda side-eyeing the turkey as I was preparing it, because the initial combination of the beer and maple syrup and lemon in particular sounded and smelled...odd, especially because the beer in question had a pretty strong hops presence for an amber ale. But I knew that a lot of that hops profile would go away, and the beery notes would settle into the maple and lemon really nicely. Get to know your ingredients, commit the taste of them to memory, so that when you're doing flavor-math later, the numbers come out right.

We make lots of things in the crock pot. Some of my favorites are:

***Pulled Pork Tacos - Put one good sized pork roast in the crockpot. Add one whole jar of your favorite kind of salsa, and fill the jar up with water and dump that in there too. Put in one or two diced onions and 3-5 crushed cloves of garlic. You can also add a small can of chipotle peppers if you like your tacos really spicy. Put lid on and cook on medium all day. When you come back break the pork up in the liquid (if there is too much liquid you can always transfer the meat and liquid to a pan and boil to condense and loose some of the water). Serve on tortillas with sour cream, more salsa and avocado slices. This recipe works with chicken, beef and also venison so use whatever you have or can find on sale!

***BBQ Pulled Pork - Simplicity itself- just put a pork roast in the crockpot, put about 3 inches of water in the bottom of the pot, pour in a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce, add some chopped onion and garlic and cook all day. When you come back use two forks to tear apart the pork (hence the term pulled pork lol) and serve on buns with more of your favorite bbq sauce.

***Chicken and Dumplings - This one is good but a bit more complicated. Put chicken leg quarters, thighs, drumpstics or half chicken (whatever is on sale) in the crock pot and cover with water. Add salt, pepper, chopped garlic and onions and carrots and cook until the meat starts to peal away from the bone. When the meat is done remove it from the stock and pull as much meat off the bones as possible when it is cool enough to handle. Put the meat back in the stock and put it in a pot on the stove. Taste the broth and season it to your liking, add more salt, garlic powder, herbs and pepper until you like the way it tastes. Remember to go slow with the salt though! You can always add more but you can't take away. Make up a batch of dumplings (this is a good recipe I have used http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6900/du...ipe&servings=6) Bring the chicken and stock to a boil and drop large spoonfuls of the dough into the pot. Cover the pot and cook for about 15min or so, checking and adjusting the heat so the pot doesn't boil over or stop boiling. If you add chopped herbs to the dumplings omgs are they tasty.
    Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin