Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you personally define paganism?

The OP of this post asked for BOOKS.

I don't know how this turned into this long discussion.

And if you notice the OP hasn't replied to anything. If I was a newbie looking for basic book suggestions and basic information, I'd run off too.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Quote Originally Posted by MammaStar View Post
    I don't know how this turned into this long discussion.
    It started by me asking DracoJesi for elaboration on what was meant by "personally define". Here's a link: http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...28#post4698828

And if you notice the OP hasn't replied to anything. If I was a newbie looking for basic book suggestions and basic information, I'd run off too.
    You're assuming that the absence of reply means the OP has run off. How do you know s/he didn't already note the books listed, obtain a few, and is too busy reading one of them to post?

I read how it got started. I don't know if it's me and the way I'm reading it, but you seem to want to argue every little thing someone posts.

I've been around these boards long enough to "guess" at what others do. Do I hope said person went and bought the book suggestions, yes, absolutely I do.

I wanted to point out that the conversation after turned into something completely OFF TOPIC of this thread. The debate you seem to keep wanting to push with every one that answers here, could be best split from this topic and started somewhere else.

My opinion on the whole thing.

I don't know if it's me and the way I'm reading it, but you seem to want to argue every little thing someone posts.
    Not at all. Just asking questions, sharing my opinions, and participating in discussions.

Posts on this forum have been few and far between since I joined. I would think members here would be encouraging posting rather than criticizing it.

I encourage on topic discussions. Again, I think you and Draco could start your own thread instead of hijacking another. That's what I'm trying to point out to you. I'm not invalidating your discussion. I just think you need to get off this topic and continue your discussion with Draco in it's own thread.

I encourage on topic discussions. Again, I think you and Draco could start your own thread instead of hijacking another. That's what I'm trying to point out to you. I'm not invalidating your discussion. I just think you need to get off this topic and continue your discussion with Draco in it's own thread.
    Oh don't worry, I've been done with that discussion. It wasn't very fruitful. The point of establishing a foundation for discourse was entirely missed.
    I've got other things I need to work on and I'm getting read to head out. I wont be home and thus without a keyboard for responding as I have been.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

is offline Now the Official Queen of ALL Blankets!
    Hey, Salixi, discussions are awesome and we absolutely encourage them. But a discussion like this will be absolutely off putting to a newbie. It doesn't help them, because they probably have no clue what you are talking about. So I am going to split your discussion into it's own thread. That way, that discussion can continue without being off topic.
    Site Adminstrator, (Yes, really!)
    Official Site Vixen, 100% Grade A Evil,
    Cerebral Goddess and Jelly Donut!
    subscribe to mw

Disciple #42 of Jodarius, the Random God of Thwaking.

"Even people who think they are dragons think you are crazy. How does that make you feel?"

I know for me I go with the base concept that if it is capitalized then it's a religion ie Paganism and defined broadly as the person decides. If it is lower case, ie paganism, then it is a umbrella term for a wide range of mostly Mediterranean inspired practices. Many times including Kemetic, Hellenic, Roman, Celtic pantheons or more recently near eastern influences. I would also place the Christo-Witchcraft or Christo-paganism into this category as well.

African inspired practices fall into the African Disapora practices and typically are not lumped beneath the Pagan umbrella. The Teutonic, Nordic, Icelandic, and many of the Slavic tend to be placed beneath the Heathen umbrella though many neo-pagans in my opinion try to place them beneath the pagan umbrella but both communities in my opinion fight hard to avoid that connection. The same can be said of the ceremonial / high magical and Occultist community in general who also tend to fight against any sort of association to being placed in the pagan umbrella in my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2