Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Handle Negative Cards

How Do You Handle Negative Cards

When I get negative cards (whatever if I do a reading for myself or other people) I accept and deal with it because I want an honest reading. I know that some tarot reader dislike negative cards because they prefer positive cards. How do you handle with negative cards in your tarot reading?
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

I burn them ritually.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

Quote Originally Posted by Xentor View Post
    I burn them ritually.
    Really? That's a bit extreme isn't it?
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

There are no good or bad cards, that's a value judgement stemming from whether they are beneficial or not within your current perception and use of them. Inherently it is just the archetype and/or symbolism, good or bad is based on your paradigm. Is the devil evil or a guide to the carnality of the soul and repressed needs? Value judgements aren't inherently bad but make them valuable. It is just a different way. Discover how to work with the cards given, making them beneficial in some way. If for example you keep getting the death card, take so time to explore your own views of mortality and how they affect how you live. If the Tower card blew you up, how do you want to put the pieces back together. If the wheel is inversed or in an unfavorable position could it be that your misfortune is because you sowed or reaped in the wrong season?.
    Last edited by Humming Bird; January 5th, 2017 at 12:29 AM.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

I echo what Draco is saying... thought not what Xentor is saying (naughty)

I welcome reversals, I think they offer so much more insight. recently, I took a full course on the Ryder Waite with a mentor, and I picked up The Tarot of the New Vision. Another classmate was doing readings with he traditional Ryder Waite and the New Vision simultaneously. It was powerful to be seeing the scene from different, multiple angles.

So, I tend to see reversals that way, as just an alternate angle, which it is.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

What about your emotions if all cards were negative? How can you handle that?
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

But you're missing the point man, you're making the decision if it's positive or negetive. The cards are there to provide insight, to shine a torch on areas your ego might be hiding from you. If they're all coming up in reverse, it's a sign to you that those are areas your Higher Self / The Divine / Megaman whoever is wanting you to look at. Like, think of your life as a telephone switchboard... the reversed cards are incoming callers you need to speak to.

मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥

Quote Originally Posted by BenSt View Post
    But you're missing the point man, you're making the decision if it's positive or negetive. The cards are there to provide insight, to shine a torch on areas your ego might be hiding from you. If they're all coming up in reverse, it's a sign to you that those are areas your Higher Self / The Divine / Megaman whoever is wanting you to look at. Like, think of your life as a telephone switchboard... the reversed cards are incoming callers you need to speak to.
    I understand perfectly. I get it.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

So you asked about emotion. I'd say, the more I look at and deal in my own discomfort, the more I push that boundary and the better I am with dealing with it. But, I suspect, the more you push your own in dividual boundary of discomfort .. the more the cards will right themselves.

मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥

Quote Originally Posted by BenSt View Post
    I echo what Draco is saying... thought not what Xentor is saying (naughty)

I welcome reversals, I think they offer so much more insight. recently, I took a full course on the Ryder Waite with a mentor, and I picked up The Tarot of the New Vision. Another classmate was doing readings with he traditional Ryder Waite and the New Vision simultaneously. It was powerful to be seeing the scene from different, multiple angles.

So, I tend to see reversals that way, as just an alternate angle, which it is.
    Oh Captain My Captain!
    It is like standing on the desk to get a different viewpoint.

One way of looking at it is that every reversal is also the hanged man.
    Things get turned upside down and among that circus you learn somthing about the underlying nature of things in the background, about the other side.
    In fact if you get the hanged man try reading your cards reversed. Odin gained his wisdom upside down hanging from a tree andd has liminal associations.
    If the hanged man is reversed he is right side up! try reading your reversed cards right side up when that happens. It is all about reflection and if you work with your fetch or anima/animus consider the reversed cards as their point of view.

I see planetary retrogrades the same as reversed cards, consider this with the cards associated to the planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What about your emotions if all cards were negative? How can you handle that?
    detachment, the middle way.... etc but really Tarot is the observation of your pathworking, you are observing yourself experiecing the path.
    So, learn to take it as an experience which you cant fully observe if you are too busy reacting.
    This is where meditation is beneficial. Observe yourself doing and then observe yourself oserving what you are doing... see the storm from above instead to thinking how you are being battered from it. This is metacognition, a crucial key to higher knowledge of self and- it protects you from traumatizing yourself. Cultivate it in your life was continual waking meditation. Cooking, reading, watching tv.... always observe yourself to the best of your ability and discipline will follow.
    Last edited by Humming Bird; January 5th, 2017 at 02:06 AM.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast