Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Doing Tarot Reading Under 18 Years Of Age

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,600

    Doing Tarot Reading Under 18 Years Of Age

    What's your opinion of doing tarot reading for kids and teens?
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,442
    I'd have ask, where are you doing them first.

    On-line you really have no way of knowing a persons age to begin with. So your trusting to their honesty. Honesty regarding age, questions, answers, the whole nine-yards. How you respond though you can be held accountable for thus that is putting it all on your shoulders. What you say, what you advise, to a degree even how they understand what you've said is all upon you. So then it becomes an issue of more so not who you read for but what you reveal and how you reveal it. Figure you can not relieve yourself of any culpability for your actions or potentially things they might do based upon recommendations.

    In person is a whole different ball of wax. Are you doing it one on one or in a group? Where are you doing it also becomes an issue. Reading in a public setting like a library, a park, a shop or at home, a bedroom, etc. Location is everything in that regard as are the legal ramifications that go with it. You also have to potentially consider legal issues regarding parental involvement if they are in fact under age. Your over 18 and depending upon what you say and how they take it there's that contributing to the delinquency of a minor (or "CDM") thing. Tarot sounds like it would be innocent enough but if they are under 18, and parents want to be hard arse's about it your screwed and your over 18.

    Actual readings themselves is still an issue potentially. Biggest hurdle is honesty and truthfulness. Yet that is not a direct up statement for it presumes your questions and their inquiries can be direct and honest to the extent they can answer and you can ask without being intrusive. After all they are minors and the idea of consent and permissions is legally different at the age of 16 - 18 depending upon state and legal status. Even the most innocent of questions can be taken wrongly.

    One reason most of the tarot readers I knew wouldn't touch a child's reading without a parent being present. Had to have that parental permission and even then very restrictive on which questions they'd even read for. By child they usually defined a child as anyone under the legal age of consent.

    Well outside of immediate friends and family those were a different issue.

    You also have to consider will you be charging for this service? That crosses into payment for a service and many places do not take kindly to children entering into any sort of pay to play contracts for occult practices. Off the top of my head can't even think of any pagan public gatherings that have tarot readers that read for children or teens under 18 without parental permission or presence.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    I'd have ask, where are you doing them first.

    On-line you really have no way of knowing a persons age to begin with. So your trusting to their honesty. Honesty regarding age, questions, answers, the whole nine-yards. How you respond though you can be held accountable for thus that is putting it all on your shoulders. What you say, what you advise, to a degree even how they understand what you've said is all upon you. So then it becomes an issue of more so not who you read for but what you reveal and how you reveal it. Figure you can not relieve yourself of any culpability for your actions or potentially things they might do based upon recommendations.

    In person is a whole different ball of wax. Are you doing it one on one or in a group? Where are you doing it also becomes an issue. Reading in a public setting like a library, a park, a shop or at home, a bedroom, etc. Location is everything in that regard as are the legal ramifications that go with it. You also have to potentially consider legal issues regarding parental involvement if they are in fact under age. Your over 18 and depending upon what you say and how they take it there's that contributing to the delinquency of a minor (or "CDM") thing. Tarot sounds like it would be innocent enough but if they are under 18, and parents want to be hard arse's about it your screwed and your over 18.

    Actual readings themselves is still an issue potentially. Biggest hurdle is honesty and truthfulness. Yet that is not a direct up statement for it presumes your questions and their inquiries can be direct and honest to the extent they can answer and you can ask without being intrusive. After all they are minors and the idea of consent and permissions is legally different at the age of 16 - 18 depending upon state and legal status. Even the most innocent of questions can be taken wrongly.

    One reason most of the tarot readers I knew wouldn't touch a child's reading without a parent being present. Had to have that parental permission and even then very restrictive on which questions they'd even read for. By child they usually defined a child as anyone under the legal age of consent.

    Well outside of immediate friends and family those were a different issue.

    You also have to consider will you be charging for this service? That crosses into payment for a service and many places do not take kindly to children entering into any sort of pay to play contracts for occult practices. Off the top of my head can't even think of any pagan public gatherings that have tarot readers that read for children or teens under 18 without parental permission or presence.
    Yeah. I've been doing tarot readings for a long time and I never did a tarot reading for kids and teens bet re, online and offline. Also I would like to haven their parents permission and have them presence. I would never charge a reading to kids and teens or anybody who's over 18 years of age because I don't charge my readings. Plus if I do a tarot reading for a kid and a teen, I have to use a age appropriate tarot deck. Also if the reading turn out to be very negative I've to be honest and truthful to the kids and teens. So yeah There's so many factors to be considered doing tarot readings for kids and teens.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yeah. I've been doing tarot readings for a long time and I never did a tarot reading for kids and teens bet re, online and offline. Also I would like to haven their parents permission and have them presence. I would never charge a reading to kids and teens or anybody who's over 18 years of age because I don't charge my readings. Plus if I do a tarot reading for a kid and a teen, I have to use a age appropriate tarot deck. Also if the reading turn out to be very negative I've to be honest and truthful to the kids and teens. So yeah There's so many factors to be considered doing tarot readings for kids and teens.
    Not sure what an age appropriate deck would be. Figure a deck is a deck about the only difference I can think of is it's either a tarot deck or an oracle deck. Picture wise personally you should get the same info from a plain drab Ryder Waite deck as any of the designer decks built to separate a person from their money. Though I guess some decks of the designer motif do go more for shock value than others, or inversely unicorns and rainbows.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    Not sure what an age appropriate deck would be. Figure a deck is a deck about the only difference I can think of is it's either a tarot deck or an oracle deck. Picture wise personally you should get the same info from a plain drab Ryder Waite deck as any of the designer decks built to separate a person from their money. Though I guess some decks of the designer motif do go more for shock value than others, or inversely unicorns and rainbows.
    Just remember some decks contain nudity and Violence that wouldn't be appropriate for kids and teens. I know two age appropriate tarot deck is called the Whimsical Tarot Deck and the Halloween Tarot Deck.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Just remember some decks contain nudity and Violence that wouldn't be appropriate for kids and teens. I know two age appropriate tarot deck is called the Whimsical Tarot Deck and the Halloween Tarot Deck.
    Well the Lovers is pretty much always some degree of nudity and the tower is pretty much always violence and destruction. But like I said the designer cards purposely push an agenda or perspective the artist selects. That aspect is more important than the fact they are tarot or oracle cards and is used to separate the money from the buyer. The P. T. Barnum effect as it were.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    Well the Lovers is pretty much always some degree of nudity and the tower is pretty much always violence and destruction. But like I said the designer cards purposely push an agenda or perspective the artist selects. That aspect is more important than the fact they are tarot or oracle cards and is used to separate the money from the buyer. The P. T. Barnum effect as it were.
    That's true. I just wish there were more kid-friendly tarot decks out to there.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That's true. I just wish there were more kid-friendly tarot decks out to there.
    Truthfully I'm gad there not. The more kid friendly things get the more it makes it look like its for kids. Sort of like the Tarot for idiots stuff you occasionally find. All the trying to make it kid friendly and less threatening is what in my opinion makes paganism in general look all fluffy and happy happy when its not and makes it look like a teenagers fad vice a legitimate belief system and practice.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    Truthfully I'm gad there not. The more kid friendly things get the more it makes it look like its for kids. Sort of like the Tarot for idiots stuff you occasionally find. All the trying to make it kid friendly and less threatening is what in my opinion makes paganism in general look all fluffy and happy happy when its not and makes it look like a teenagers fad vice a legitimate belief system and practice.
    I agree it's does makes paganism looks very bad when it try to make it kid friendly and harmless.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •