Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: I'm Disabled And I'm Proud Of It

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    I am not proud to be disabled. Neither am I ashamed. It simply is. .. Don't brag about disability. Don't brag about collecting government checks, whether you get SSI and never "earned" any of it, or SSDI that you paid into for your whole life until that point. If you're bragging about getting special treatment, you're part of the problem, and making it that much harder for the rest of us to be taken seriously and treated with respect.

Please don't be so flippant about something that is literally life and death for others.
    I find most people with disabilities whether born with them or due to some other reason tend not to speak of them except for or by necessity. They prefer to be judged or seen for who they are not their disability.

Yet those who push their disability for the most part in my experience tend to feel they are entitled to something. If not the disabled person themselves then the parent of said person, based upon the 10 years I spent in the school system dealing with students with disabilities.

Again not all and don't want to paint a picture of all disabled people or the parents for the minors who are disabled, just those who go for the money primarily. Many times disabled from birth though their disability is not a catastrophic disability and one they can compensate for unlike those who have severe and profound disabilities which severely limit or restrict. I separate the teenager & adults students from the minors regarding parents as many times the parents for teenager & adult students were less involved in the processes. Not to say all but many seemed to simply sign the paperwork and speaking to aides and such said they had less interaction with the students academic lives. Of course those who were more sever and profound had more parental involvement while those who where hire functioning typically aged out or required less parental involvement.

I want to reiterate and clarify that pushing for services for disabled students or people is not the same as pushing or flaunting getting a check. I see many families that have to fight daily to get services for their children that should be proved. Services that are out and out denied or unintentionally and / or incorrectly applied to fit the child's needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    First off I work at a part time job. I get a decent amount of money. I'm not abusing the system. At least I got job for a living despite what you may think. So don't give me lip of how I run my life.
    You know BMH sometimes you remind me of pickles so much, right down to how she and at time you justify things or make excuses about not abusing the system or it owing you something. For the benefit of others pickles is an older former member of this site who used the name PrincessKLS.

You don't want people giving you lip don't give them cause to. The very premise of this thread and how it is worded does nothing but elicit such a response from people, especially anyone who really doesn't know you. I have the benefit of knowing you for sometime now so know it wasn't meant to be baneful or explicitly hurtful in intent. You want people to respond and interact with your threads you really have to be thoughtful in what you write and how you write it.

Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    You know BMH sometimes you remind me of pickles so much, right down to how she and at time you justify things or make excuses about not abusing the system or it owing you something. For the benefit of others pickles is an older former member of this site who used the name PrincessKLS.

You don't want people giving you lip don't give them cause to. The very premise of this thread and how it is worded does nothing but elicit such a response from people, especially anyone who really doesn't know you. I have the benefit of knowing you for sometime now so know it wasn't meant to be baneful or explicitly hurtful in intent. You want people to respond and interact with your threads you really have to be thoughtful in what you write and how you write it.
    I didn't mean to offend anybody. That wasn't my intend for this thread.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

Then what was your intention? Are you grateful for what you receive? Do you understand that not everyone thinks it is a great thing to be disabled? It has seemed to me, and I think a few others, that you're bragging.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Quote Originally Posted by MammaStar View Post
    Then what was your intention? Are you grateful for what you receive? Do you understand that not everyone thinks it is a great thing to be disabled? It has seemed to me, and I think a few others, that you're bragging.
    I just want a positive response from everybody.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just want a positive response from everybody.
    You know BMH a thread that elicits only a positive response all the time many times doesn't last long and many times doesn't generate many responses. A thread that elicits multiple opinions, whether positive or negative to yours, are the ones that tend to generate many responses.

Sad part, my opinion only so take that for what it's worth, is that when you seek only positive response the person is many times seeking a pat upon the back. Under such conditions the merit of the thread doesn't matter, the person just want's people to say he / she did good and acknowledge they did good. Making it more a matter of self gratification than actually people saying a person did something good and it deserves to be recognized.

But I also admit people tell me I can be an arse at times in how I come across. So if all you want is people to be positive then go for it BMH.

Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    But I also admit people tell me I can be an arse at times in how I come across. So if all you want is people to be positive then go for it BMH.
    Thank you.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

My positive response: I am positive that you live in a world of sunshine and rainbows and only listen to what you want to hear.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

My positive statement for you: you have always been very genuine to yourself, BMH.
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4