Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: I'm Disabled And I'm Proud Of It

  1. #21
     is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,519
    With my bag of anxiety and mental health problems I could probably land myself on permanent disability in the country I am currently residing and going for citizenship in. I don't want to, though, and between trying to bring money in through freelancing and working on projects that may lead somewhere in the future and staying fit I don't have any significant symptoms anymore. Keeping busy and working as best as one can is much better for ones mental health than just being on benefits. Humans want to be productive and contribute to their community.

    My mother and my sisters are also diagnosed with ADHD, mental health issues and the like. They all work and/or study. I have one sister with ADHD, Bipolar II and a chronic nerve damage pain in her knee that still isn't good after years of physical therapy, several surgeries and various treatments. Only reason she's not still working as a nurse (yes, a nurse. Stressing around, lifting people, hurrying back and forth on a knee that gives her constant pain) is that she's now in school to become a systems analyst because the knee pain was getting too much for her and even opiates weren't cutting it, she didn't want to get addicted so she's re-schooling herself.

    Doing nothing to improve ones situation isn't pride. It's settling for a less fulfilling life.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma


    "A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,490
    Dang! I'm sorry to hear that.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deep Into My Writing
    Posts
    14,904
    I think that anyone who brags up their disabilities is either faking or trying to get attention... And in some cases, use that to their advantage - like uses their disability as an excuse to not pay attention to the rules. Saw that last one more than a few times.

    It comes from my childhood. I have an older brother, younger sister. Both are lazy, and would feign being sick or hurting to get out of doing things like chores or even going to school. Meanwhile the one who suffers from a constant migraine would be told to "Get off your lazy @$$ bitch, and MOVE!" while seeing the other two get coddled for sneezing ONCE. I'd still be forced to do my chores *plus* both of theirs, even if I worked elsewhere all freaking day, was up all night vomiting due to a stomach bug, or had one of my ultra frequent ON flare ups.

    Both of my siblings are *STILL* lazy, hateful and self centered people. Neither work. Neither want to work. My brother is trying to pull welfare by pretending he has more disabilities than the entire family combined. He "owns" a small computer game design business that hasn't put out a single thing in about 20 or more years. They had *one* game, and it wasn't a success. Nor was it any good. His wife works, but only during tax season. I have no clue how they can afford a mortgage, or anything else, unless her parents are paying for it. They don't have kids, both are too self centered to even think about someone else other than themselves.

    Meanwhile my sister is whining that she almost died with my oldest niece (in reality I was the one that almost died during my pregnancy) and yet had two more... Then went on to brag that she got lucky to survive both pregnancies when someone challenged her on that. She has grade 7 for an education, and refuses to get her GED or anything else. She has held one legit job in her time, and quit it after a couple of months because she didn't want to work new year's eve. She hasn't worked since, and is doing her best to assure she gets on welfare once her current man toy has had enough of her garbage and kicks her out. My mother takes care of her youngest two kids. Her oldest child hates her guts, and he's living with a friend. He's 20 years old and would rather gouge his eyes out than talk to his mother. Her oldest daughter is out west with her father, and she's actually more like me, thank heavens. Far from lazy, and would rather keep her distance from her mother. Her mother kept forcing her two youngest sisters on her, that girl had no life when she was out here thanks to my sister. It's nice to see the narcissistic genes didn't land in her or my nephew. One can only hope the youngest two don't turn out like their lazy mother or maternal uncle.

    So unless you even know half of the crap someone else has gone through, don't make assumptions, and for heaven's sake, don't brag to me about your disabilities, cause more than likely I'll call you out on it. I abhor laziness, but I despise braggarts even more.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

    Cloaky

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deep Into My Writing
    Posts
    14,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon Flux View Post
    With my bag of anxiety and mental health problems I could probably land myself on permanent disability in the country I am currently residing and going for citizenship in. I don't want to, though, and between trying to bring money in through freelancing and working on projects that may lead somewhere in the future and staying fit I don't have any significant symptoms anymore. Keeping busy and working as best as one can is much better for ones mental health than just being on benefits. Humans want to be productive and contribute to their community.

    My mother and my sisters are also diagnosed with ADHD, mental health issues and the like. They all work and/or study. I have one sister with ADHD, Bipolar II and a chronic nerve damage pain in her knee that still isn't good after years of physical therapy, several surgeries and various treatments. Only reason she's not still working as a nurse (yes, a nurse. Stressing around, lifting people, hurrying back and forth on a knee that gives her constant pain) is that she's now in school to become a systems analyst because the knee pain was getting too much for her and even opiates weren't cutting it, she didn't want to get addicted so she's re-schooling herself.

    Doing nothing to improve ones situation isn't pride. It's settling for a less fulfilling life.
    I agree. Unless you're doing something to improve yourself, it's not pride.

    I hope you can make a go of the writing too. I think contributing something like a story is an amazing thing... It improves others' lives too, you know?

    Your family sounds amazing. I wish mine was more like yours.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

    Cloaky

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloaked Raven View Post
    I think that anyone who brags up their disabilities is either faking or trying to get attention... And in some cases, use that to their advantage - like uses their disability as an excuse to not pay attention to the rules. Saw that last one more than a few times.

    It comes from my childhood. I have an older brother, younger sister. Both are lazy, and would feign being sick or hurting to get out of doing things like chores or even going to school. Meanwhile the one who suffers from a constant migraine would be told to "Get off your lazy @$$ bitch, and MOVE!" while seeing the other two get coddled for sneezing ONCE. I'd still be forced to do my chores *plus* both of theirs, even if I worked elsewhere all freaking day, was up all night vomiting due to a stomach bug, or had one of my ultra frequent ON flare ups.

    Both of my siblings are *STILL* lazy, hateful and self centered people. Neither work. Neither want to work. My brother is trying to pull welfare by pretending he has more disabilities than the entire family combined. He "owns" a small computer game design business that hasn't put out a single thing in about 20 or more years. They had *one* game, and it wasn't a success. Nor was it any good. His wife works, but only during tax season. I have no clue how they can afford a mortgage, or anything else, unless her parents are paying for it. They don't have kids, both are too self centered to even think about someone else other than themselves.

    Meanwhile my sister is whining that she almost died with my oldest niece (in reality I was the one that almost died during my pregnancy) and yet had two more... Then went on to brag that she got lucky to survive both pregnancies when someone challenged her on that. She has grade 7 for an education, and refuses to get her GED or anything else. She has held one legit job in her time, and quit it after a couple of months because she didn't want to work new year's eve. She hasn't worked since, and is doing her best to assure she gets on welfare once her current man toy has had enough of her garbage and kicks her out. My mother takes care of her youngest two kids. Her oldest child hates her guts, and he's living with a friend. He's 20 years old and would rather gouge his eyes out than talk to his mother. Her oldest daughter is out west with her father, and she's actually more like me, thank heavens. Far from lazy, and would rather keep her distance from her mother. Her mother kept forcing her two youngest sisters on her, that girl had no life when she was out here thanks to my sister. It's nice to see the narcissistic genes didn't land in her or my nephew. One can only hope the youngest two don't turn out like their lazy mother or maternal uncle.

    So unless you even know half of the crap someone else has gone through, don't make assumptions, and for heaven's sake, don't brag to me about your disabilities, cause more than likely I'll call you out on it. I abhor laziness, but I despise braggarts even more.
    I don't mean to be harsh and don't take this the wrong way but I'm happy of being me. I not going to let disability ruin me life. So what if I do have disability, I can still do amazing things such as doing tarot readings, going to the movies, talking my friends online and offline, working at a good job, going to church, playing Dungeons and Dragons. Writing stories. Enjoying life. I can do so many get things. I'm a happy person and I don't use my disability to gain any pity. And further more I get a check every month. So at least I'm doing something right on my life.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deep Into My Writing
    Posts
    14,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I don't mean to be harsh and don't take this the wrong way but I'm happy of being me. I not going to let disability ruin me life. So what if I do have disability, I can still do amazing things such as doing tarot readings, going to the movies, talking my friends online and offline, working at a good job, going to church, playing Dungeons and Dragons. Writing stories. Enjoying life. I can do so many get things. I'm a happy person and I don't use my disability to gain any pity. And further more I get a check every month. So at least I'm doing something right on my life.
    Wow, must be nice to sit on one's rear end and get a fat check for nothing. Meanwhile my husband is working full time at a low paying job he HATES to support people like you... Yet someone like me who is a hell of a lot more disabled than you are is working their asses off to prove that not everyone with a disability is lazy.

    You can work. You're a lot more able to than a lot of people I know that *are* working and contributing to society. So why aren't you even looking or trying? You only proved my point. You are *NOT* a contributing member of society despite what you think.

    If you mention "disability" around a lot of people in my area, they automatically think of people who abuse the system. Gods know there's a lot around here, including my two siblings, and several former friends.

    I am determined to improve my life and be a contributing member of society. Not in its dregs and being a burden on the system when they are perfectly able to do something, like even a computer programmer. There are others out there who need things more than you do, yet get nothing.

    I am so disgusted right now, I can't even find the words to describe it, and I'm a bloody author.

    *walks out*
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

    Cloaky

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloaked Raven View Post
    Wow, must be nice to sit on one's rear end and get a fat check for nothing. Meanwhile my husband is working full time at a low paying job he HATES to support people like you... Yet someone like me who is a hell of a lot more disabled than you are is working their asses off to prove that not everyone with a disability is lazy.

    You can work. You're a lot more able to than a lot of people I know that *are* working and contributing to society. So why aren't you even looking or trying? You only proved my point. You are *NOT* a contributing member of society despite what you think.

    If you mention "disability" around a lot of people in my area, they automatically think of people who abuse the system. Gods know there's a lot around here, including my two siblings, and several former friends.

    I am determined to improve my life and be a contributing member of society. Not in its dregs and being a burden on the system when they are perfectly able to do something, like even a computer programmer. There are others out there who need things more than you do, yet get nothing.

    I am so disgusted right now, I can't even find the words to describe it, and I'm a bloody author.

    *walks out*
    First off I work at a part time job. I get a decent amount of money. I'm not abusing the system. At least I got job for a living despite what you may think. So don't give me lip of how I run my life.
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •