Thread: Return of deities on earth

Return of deities on earth

Regardless of which deities you believe in do you think there will come a time when any of them will return to this world and if they do would they make themselves known or stay hidden for fear of what people would do to them?

I've heard stories of deities returning to the earth "Walking ankle-deep in the stone". By the old legends they gain density with time. If thats true, it's likely that they would use a temp body. Or connect with people spiritually through visions. I doubt there's any thing humans could do to instill fear in one (aside from empathy). Chances are, many are watching.

I think some might walk the earth in human form at various times. Whether it be to re-experience being human or semi-human or simply to walk among humanity I wouldn't even bother to guess about. I say some for I do not believe all would be so inclined to do so. Those who are closer to humanity probably more inclined to do so, those who are further removed probably less inclined to do so. While in human guise I think they'd be less likely to reveal their divine nature. Figure even within paganism very few have the same perception of the gods / goddesses and how we believe they will act. That doesn't even truly touch upon the perception of how most of us perceive their physical appearance will be. So it seems, to me anyway, they'd try to pass unnoticed to ascertain just how humanity in general, and their devotee's specifically see and relate to them.

That is not to say some might not simply "Ride" or "Possess" a devotee for some amount of time to experience humanity. Such a situation could potentially be for a short duration, similar to say how an oracle was "Possessed" or "Ridden" by a god or goddess. During such time surrendering their awareness to the divinity. Perhaps something less obtrusive in nature where the god / goddesses simply enters the devotee and shares the devotee's body and emotions but never takes control or dominates the devotee. They could experience humanity and human emotions yet never really take on human form and shape or limitations.

Very wise opinion, thank you.. I would agree with almost all of your answer although I personally think the term god is very egotistical and prefer to use the term celestial...

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Very wise opinion, thank you.. I would agree with almost all of your answer although I personally think the term god is very egotistical and prefer to use the term celestial...
    Ah but you asked about deities not celestial's in general. The term celestial could also be applied to Angels, Daemons, Demons, non-terrestrial beings, all sorts of entities that would not typically be classified as divinities. It's like consider many Native American peoples have their divinities but also tales of the Star Peoples who also came to earth and taught them. The Star People are celestial's but not divinities in many of the Native lore's. Even Nordic lore would have many celestial's who would not be divinities if one looks to the nine worlds that potentially touch earth.

Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    Ah but you asked about deities not celestial's in general. The term celestial could also be applied to Angels, Daemons, Demons, non-terrestrial beings, all sorts of entities that would not typically be classified as divinities. It's like consider many Native American peoples have their divinities but also tales of the Star Peoples who also came to earth and taught them. The Star People are celestial's but not divinities in many of the Native lore's. Even Nordic lore would have many celestial's who would not be divinities if one looks to the nine worlds that potentially touch earth.
    Point towards how people regard deities in the term gods goddesses taken, it's just the meaning of the word implies a superior being which I don't think is always the case, Whereas celestial simply means from the stars so whether above or below it's universal although I am aware that many people have no issues regarding them as gods.. It's mearly a personal preference as we are free to believe what we wish.. I also think it's a bit of a misconception that all bad things emanate from the lower realms and all good things come from the higher ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Point towards how people regard deities in the term gods goddesses taken, it's just the meaning of the word implies a superior being which I don't think is always the case, Whereas celestial simply means from the stars so whether above or below it's universal although I am aware that many people have no issues regarding them as gods.. It's mearly a personal preference as we are free to believe what we wish.. I also think it's a bit of a misconception that all bad things emanate from the lower realms and all good things come from the higher ones...
    Personally I think the bad from below and good from above is more of a Christian or Abrahamic influence than an archaic influence. Sort of the same notion of things being bright equals good and things being dark equating to bad. Figure many archaic belief systems held that growth was from under the earth so many fertility gods & goddesses resided beneath the earth's surface. Yet the land of the dead also resided there though the process of rebirth also figured from the land of the dead so birth and rebirth came from the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    Personally I think the bad from below and good from above is more of a Christian or Abrahamic influence than an archaic influence. Sort of the same notion of things being bright equals good and things being dark equating to bad. Figure many archaic belief systems held that growth was from under the earth so many fertility gods & goddesses resided beneath the earth's surface. Yet the land of the dead also resided there though the process of rebirth also figured from the land of the dead so birth and rebirth came from the darkness.
    Seems so when you think none of the lower world's were ever considered in any way bad until Christianity and I think that was more of a tactic to play on people's fear of death more than anything else...