Thread: Pagan history

Pagan history

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows which group of pagan deities was the most recent,Going through the years I know that there has been cave paintings as old as 70000 years honouring the horned nature god and years on the Egyptian and Greek etc so which group is the youngest? is it the norse, celtic,?

Art history buff here, there are no cave paintings that old. We have possibly 40,000 year old ones, and purpose is debatable. Also, oldest written text is from Sumer, so the oldest recorded religion would be that of Ur, in the Epic of Gilgamesh (12,000 y.o., no horned gods here). And most early deity icons were female, not male. As to newest on the block, that's impossible to say. However, we have some interesting name mash ups from the Roman expansion into western Europe, as well as the Greek expansion into Egypt. So I would say Roman-Gaul. And this is only looking at it from a euro-centric perspective, as I am not familiar enough with non-Indo-European religions.
    Beer is proof the Gods love us and want us to be happy.

Apologies I got my dates mixed up it was 40,000 years that the earliest evidence of pagan deities being honoured.
    There has been cave etchings 70,000 old but the translation of the pictures is unclear and up for debate.. Surely scientology has to be one of the most recent creations.. although people are always creating new things to follow.. I sometimes wonder what was wrong with how things were before the crusades and why go to the limits of forcing people to change their beliefs and percecuting those who refuse? But then when you think about what groups like I.S are doing you realise that it's always been part of this world.. Can't loose faith that at some point that will change tho..