Thread: Lucid Dreaming

Lucid Dreaming

This subforum is pretty quiet so I figured I'd jump in and ask questions about something I've just started.

I've wanted to try lucid dreaming/visionquesting/etc etc for a while, but have been too chicken to try. So today I bought a book online and took the plunge.

Now, I realise that it was my first try and while I like to be a prodigy of everything I try the first time, I didn't actually expect anything significant to happen. And it didn't.

I got my body to relax and I drifted into those weird shallow dreams you get when you're just nodding off. But every time I pulled my mind back awake, I felt like everything woke up with it. I don't think I ever got to full sleep paralysis.

I've been meditating since I was a kid, so I'm not a complete novice, but I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get farther. I couldn't even do the 'visualise the circles' bit of the exercise, let alone actually put myself in my little Dream Island thingy, which was quite weird for me.

So I'm wondering what- if anything- I'm doing wrong, and if you guys have had any similar experiences or have any pointers. Do any of you have trouble with lucid dreaming, and how long did it take before you did it properly?
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Vision Questing and Lucid dreaming are nothing alike.

A typical Vision Quest last anywhere from 7 to 10 days and is usually conducted in the wilderness. Typically involves both a purification ceremony (usually some sort of sweat which can be a couple days itself) then the person along with a guardian retreat into the wilderness or some secluded spot. The quester also has a very specific reason in mind for the quest they are undertaking. Then in most instances the quester will leave around dawn or near it and go to some spot that they are guided to and sit and meditate at. In most instances they will remain there until nightfall or near dusk at the earliest. The guides may show up right away or they may not show up for a day or even several days. Nor does it mean that the initial spot chosen is the correct spot. Many times the only thing the quester takes with them is water as no food is consumed while they await the vision. (I will add that also depends upon the person and how they set it up)

Meditation can include dream journey, it can include remote walking, out of body work. Very often it will involve illusions and / or delusions, will involve deprivation of some sort. May involve hallucinogen's such as mushrooms.

While the quester is away the guardian will prepare food, any ritual components needed. If smudging ceremonies, sweet ceremonies, drumming ceremonies or such are to be performed they will aide in them or have the material prepared and at the ready for the quester. They will ensure the safety of the quester and keep the home site. They also take on the responsibility to go in search for the quester and have a general idea of where the quester would be going for each day should he / she not return.

A Vision Quest is a serious undertaking and nothing like what most of the 101 books try to pass it off as. What they tend to call a vision quest is not a vision quest. It can be brutal and very demanding upon the physical, mental and spiritual character of the person undergoing it. In many ways it is a test of ones dedication and commitment to Spirit, Deity, belief and self and tests all of that.

I'm sorry, I used the wrong term. This particular practice is very VERY new to me, so I don't have all the terminology down yet. I think what I meant to say was astral travel (but I could have that wrong too). Thank you for the clarification. I meant no offense.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    I'm sorry, I used the wrong term. This particular practice is very VERY new to me, so I don't have all the terminology down yet. I think what I meant to say was astral travel (but I could have that wrong too). Thank you for the clarification. I meant no offense.
    No offense taken so don't worry about that.

Even Astral Travel can be iffy. Astral travel and lucid dreaming are very different. Astral travel is the idea of projecting your energy form into the universe basically. What some might say is separating your physical self from your energy self. Others will say it's the process of separating the mental body from the physical body while retaining a connection to the physical body. Basically your mind is set free of the restrictions of the body. Yet even that is sort of suspect for the Astral plain resides both within and without. In that capacity a lot of people, myself included, say most who claim to reach the astral plain simply reach the inner astral plain of the mindscape. Yet because the mind in that capacity is not really restricted the astral is not restricted except to the limitations of the persons imagination.

Lucid dreaming though is the process where the person realizes they are both asleep and in a dream. Then they take control over the dream and manipulate how the dream unfolds. Fears are faced and overcome for instance. They can pause the dream, make the dream change direction, interact with the dream proactively vice re-actively. The biggest thing is they are aware they are asleep and in a dream. They do not need to fear, be excited, etc for they know it is a dream there for it is harmless and they are in control of it. The degree of lucidness depends upon each person and each dream to be honest.

Yet lucid dreaming is also the idea of deep dreaming. The point where a dream may pass from the dream state and to a degree influence the physical reality. Since you are aware of it and may in fact interact with the dream with the physical body then you can injure or leave indicators on the physical body. Unfortunately that is something that doesn't get covered in the 101 books nor in the many forums that often. The mind is aware you are in the dream and acts accordingly but the mind also controls the body so can move the dreamers body as it moves the dream body. Inversely what the dreamers body experiences and registers upon the mind can be "Felt" upon the physical mind from the lucid dream state. After all you have taken control of the dream as you are aware of it being a dream and the mind is aware the body is reacting.

Combat Vets have lucid dreams of being back in combat and take control of the dream. Yet they also have their bodies respond in the real world. Traumatic event suffers also have lucid dreams and often take control of the event, sometimes resisting in the dream for instance where they could not in real life and fighting. Yet the fight shows up in real life as thrashing, twisting, etc. Even nightmares to a degree pass into lucidness as the horror has a clarity to the dreamer they can not escape that causes them to respond in the real world. One might even say sleep walkers are experiencing lucid dreaming in that they are fully engaging in their dream and controlling it and participating within the dream but actually up and moving about. But again the 101 books and forums tend not to talk about all of this.

But figure Lucidness is clarity and the clarity is to know you are dreaming and see clearly.
    Last edited by monsnoleedra; June 13th, 2017 at 04:26 PM.