Thread: Spring Garden Cleaning

Spring Garden Cleaning

So last year we started our first ever garden. It was a huge success, but it did get quite a bit uhm..overgrown and neglected towards the end of the summer.

Any practical tips for getting it under control again and ready for this year's planting? I have some ideas and I've looked into it but would love to hear what you guys have tried.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Some pruning, cutting of some bits to get fresh growth.Do this before birds start their nests. Depends how neat you want the garden. For garden furniture the soft soap and a brush and sponge tends to remove any green on it. Before you mow grass look out for any tree saplings you might want to save.Small tree saplings/seedlings can be kept in a garden pot and grow there into small trees. Later on you can always replant in garden. Some like willow you can stick part of a branch in moist soil and it will grow into a tree with time.
    If you have mugwort the old woody branches are incensy in a garden fire basket same goes for lavender and rosemary, any dead old bits are useful in the firebasket. I tend to let the leaves down to re-absorb in the soil. If you have raised beds add some fresh top soil and/or mulch. Give potted plants some extra feed as they leave dormancy. Houseplant bulbs I give a second life in garden. There are a lot of gardening books I like the ones on herbs by Lesley Bremness she also writes there about garden ideas. Garden is always work. Split up the things to do over days of good weather.
    Have a great time in the garden.

Thanks for the tips!

Most of the gardening is stuff like vegetables, etc. It got super overgrown towards the end of the summer and therefore I need to ....what? Burn out the weeds? Just take a weed wacker? Could I get away with pulling a ton of stuff out and then laying down some cardboard, then some more dirt?
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Depends what weeds you have. Like dandelion you have to pull the roots completely one by one. There is something with 7 leaves which is practical undestructible one of my past gardens had it was a very old cottage from 1868 years ago. There is the black anti-weed gardensoil covering cloth , it has porous bits so even that some weeds come through but you could try lay down double layer then your soil. Cardboard will be gone break down in no time and you must be sure is clean no chemicals in it. Weeding regularly helps a bit. Mulch bark tree chips around the plants to keep weeds down. Raised beds I tried but after some time they also get weeds.
    I have done some veggies in very big pots but that was years ago.
    I tried for nice vintage brandywine tomatoes but had blight disease twice so stopped. I have some herbs that return each year like mugwort, marjoram. Some like the lavender and rosemary need replacing due to frost damage. I have grown a plum tree from a pit and it gives fruit after years waiting but birds eat them.Depends on your gardening zone what grows best easiest. The site //davesgarden.com is nice to read has lots of information. Site www.richters.com is in Canada they have many herb seeds.I think their seeds catalog is still free to the USA.See www.Thompson-Morgan.com is in UK they also sell very nice seeds and sometimes have sales. The USA has Burpee.
    Have a nice sunday.