Thread: Empathic or latent physical ability? At this point, I can

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)

Empathic or latent physical ability? At this point, I can

A few years ago, I had mentioned here that I could hear/sense/detect/feel the emotions of my bird Phoebe, and sometimes of other animals. At the time, I wasn’t sure if Phoebe was emitting a vibration that my physical ears were detecting. Years later, I’m still not sure what this is. I had thought maybe I was imagining it, but I have felt it so often, it’s a real thing. But I’m hesitant to label it Empathy. It’s a vibrating in my ears, more in the left than the right. And it doesn’t matter if I wear ear plugs or if I’m in physical contact. (Though, proximity, and usually eye contact, help.) People here (and elsewhere) describe Empathy as feeling someone else’s emotions with your own emotions. I’m pleased when I sense happiness and contentment, and I’m troubled when I sense unhappiness or anger or fear, but I don’t feel those emotions as my own. (How do you FEEL an exclamation point? Because that’s what “shocked”/“surprised” feels like to me. “Delight” makes me giggle. “Happy”/“Content” makes me smile, and usually feel love.)

When I first noticed this thing, it was in reference to Phoebe. (And also once to my Mom.) But since then, I’ve experienced it with many other animals, and even with my own nephew, when he contentedly fell asleep in my arms.

So. What the heck IS this? And what am I supposed to do with it? Is it Empathy or is it something with my physical ears? (I do have excellent hearing, by the way. Like, dog-ear hearing.) Is it something I can develop, or will it keep developing regardless of whether I do anything?

Again, it’s a sensation I detect with my actual ears. And then, it’s like a pressure change, or a soundless vibration. At this point, I can recognize happiness, contentment, shock, anger and terror. (Terror is what happens when a frog doesn’t see me, but I suddenly touch it. It’s the non-audible vibration of a shriek.) Bugs do it, too, sometimes. And sometimes, it’s just my own horror/fear of touching a potentially dangerous insect or arachnid. And it doesn’t happen all the time. I hear Phoebe when she is totally happy that I’m spending time with her. I hear Riley (my family’s Jack Russell Terrier) when he’s happy that I’ve come home (he considers me the alpha female of his pack), or when I give him a new toy or massage his neck or stand guard while he eats. (He’s an omega dog. Lowest dog even among dogs.) I very rarely hear Raja (my cat), unless he’s extremely upset because of the dog. (Upset to the point where it’s like a constant stream of exclamation points and I yell at him to stop shouting at me.)

I would like answers, guidance or direction. To me, it’s not true Empathy, in the way it’s described here. But I have no idea WHAT it is, so I don’t know how to research it. I have half a dozen Empathy books in my Amazon cart, saved for later, but if they’re like the last three, they’re going to tell me to meditate (which means nothing to me. Do you have to meditate to hear other people talking? No. And I don’t have to meditate to hear the non-verbal, either. It’s just THERE.), and to “imagine what the animal or person is thinking.” To me, that part is crap. Maybe it shouldn’t be, but it is, because feelings don’t have words.

If anyone knows of any books that might be helpful in my not-exactly-Empathy case, or knows of anyone with a similar knack, I would love to know more.
    Last edited by Ahautenites; August 20th, 2018 at 01:51 AM.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Jenn, I don't know of any books. What you are doing seems to be very close kin to what we Indians do with our spirit guides. We also have a deep respect for the species we hunt. We sometimes hear their communication with each other. I don't know what the unspoken rules there may be for a Newbie teaching. I do know of some IQ tests in zoos, and comparative intelligence speak of wheela

Could it be something similar to this? http://syndiscovery.com/sound-synaes...ons-and-pains/

Metaphysically, could it be something like a psychic attunement to your pets?
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    Drat. I was hoping for someone else else’s knowledge that I could just pour into my brain via reading. (The lazy way out, I guess.) Thank you both for responding anyway.

I did wonder about synesthesia when I encountered it in a search, but it’s not quite like that. It seems to describe what people hear to interpret their own feelings, not someone else’s. What I’ve been getting happens with other people’s animals (but not with other people, except my Mom and my toddler nephew), too, but rarely with my own cat (though I have met other cats that have deigned to share something with me).

It does make me wonder about cats.... The contentment feeling I get from others feels/sounds a bit like a purr. It makes me wonder if cats didn’t realize that it was useful to them for all of us to hear the purr, so it evolved into a vocalization. Very cunning and clever of cats to do that. (My rational mind is telling me that makes no sense. Lions and tigers purr, too, and they don’t do it to please people. They purr even when there are never any people around.)
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)