View Poll Results: What kind of Pagan are YOU?

Voters
885. You may not vote on this poll
  • General Pagan (non-sectarian)

199 22.49%
  • Witch (not Wiccan, just Witch)

138 15.59%
  • Wiccan (Alexandrian, Gardnerian, Eclectic, etc.)

157 17.74%
  • Ceremonial Magician

7 0.79%
  • Asatru (Norse Pagan)

36 4.07%
  • Druid/Celtic Pagan

60 6.78%
  • Strega (Italian Pagan)

3 0.34%
  • Egyptian Pagan

36 4.07%
  • Shaman (Native American or otherwise)

19 2.15%
  • Eastern Pagan (Hindu, Buddhist, Shintoist, etc.)

15 1.69%
  • Nature-loving tree-hugger

59 6.67%
  • Other (please elaborate)

156 17.63%
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of Pagan are YOU?

Question What kind of Pagan are YOU?

I'm curious about Pagan Sectarianism, and I'd like to poll this community to see where people stand. It seems to me that the majority of pagans I meet either consider themselves Wiccan or just generally Pagan (non-sectarian). However, there's a ton of other pagan varieties, and I know there are druids and norse pagans and all sorts of other people here.

So fill out the poll above and let me know which sect fits you the best. (I apologize in advance - I know I can't have remembered every sect possible, hence "Other".) Then tell me in this thread what led you to that particular sect, and why it fits your beliefs better than any other.

I'm interested to discover what beliefs we as pagans have in common, and where we differ. For instance, I've seen posts on this board that say that not all pagans are nature-based, and that not all pagans believe in the universality of deity. So what do you believe? The floor is open!

(Mods, I would've placed this thread under the General Pagan Talk section, but I couldn't find a subsection that seemed to fit.)

Unlike most Satanists, I do consider myself a Pagan. I chose other, because I didnt know exactly where I fell in your options.
    Lucifuge
    "Indulgence!"

I chose other because I could fit into more then one though I felt "general pagan" didn't cover it. I guess to me "general pagan" refers to someone who doesn't specifically work with certain paths or systems, or who works with many different ones in a mish-mash type of way, or who couldn't specifically point out which paths and systems they draw from.

I fall under ceremonial magician, wiccan, and egyptian pagan very specifically. "Thelemic Egyptian Wiccan" perhaps would've covered it.

Excellent poll, Ben, and welcome to our forum.

Originally posted by Lucifuge

Unlike most Satanists, I do consider myself a Pagan. I chose other, because I didnt know exactly where I fell in your options.
    Oops - sorry buddy! Told you I'd forget something!

Thought I'd chime in and answer my own question. I'm middle-of-the-road Wiccan, modified Gardnerianism. My coven grew out of the Minoan Brotherhood/Sisterhood, one of the oldest pagan organizations in New York City.

I believe in a god & goddess, as the masculine and feminine aspects of an all-pervasive universal force, the archetypes of which have been worshipped by various cultures as numerous pantheons. Therefore, although I do believe that Hermes, Isis, Thor, Coyote, Quan Yin, Shiva, and Anansi are all (in a way) separate entities, I also believe that they are all equal parts of a single whole.

Other than that, the trappings are all middle-of-the-road Wiccan, the sort of thing you read in Cunningham or Curott.

Your beliefs may vary.

NEXT!

I'm an other because, well, I've been Pagan so long, I pick and choose among a lot of sects as it suits me........Hey, it works for me! I know a little bit about a lot of sects......A lot about a little bit of sects..........and am always looking to learn more......

Thank You, CloakofStars9 and WynnJera for the beautiful banners!

Get off your butt....Rescue a mutt!!
    It's time to scat...Save a cat!!
    Visit Your Local Pound or Rescue!

Ditto what Old Witch said!
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Eclectic wiccan.
    Whatever suits.

I'm a Buddhist Pagan, so obviously I chose the Eastern Pagan option. However, I'm also a "tree-hugging Nature-lover," so I'd fit in that category, too. But that's just my personality. :D

(PS. I always used to think that "tree-hugging Nature-lover" was the same as Pagan. I'm so sad that I was wrong. Heh, regardless, that's still my definition of "Pagan" because that's how I define myself: a Daughter of Gaia, the Earth and thus, a Pagan.)
    what if everything around you
    isn't quite as it seems?
    what if all the world you think you know
    is an elaborate dream?
    and if you look at your reflection
    is that what you want it to be?
    what if you could look right through the cracks
    would you find yourself--
    find yourself afraid to see?

what if all the world's inside of your head
    just creations of your own?
    your devils and your gods all the living and the dead
    and you're really all alone
    you can live in this illusion
    you can choose to believe
    you keep looking but you can't find the woods
    while you're hiding in the trees

~ Nine Inch Nails : Right Where It Belongs

Smile

I think I fall into the Other category. I am hereditary, taught by my mother and grandmother (while she was still alive). I really never gave any thoughts to categorizing myself as anything other than Witch.

Eclectic Wiccan here. Hey, someday it will be an "old tyme religion". :D

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast