Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Books: traditional vrs wicca, help?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis Descending View Post
    I'm really not trying to give you a hard time but you've got to be kidding. Anyone with even minimal brain function can easily understand anything Cunningham ever published.
    Well, did you have time to read my qualification of his work? I am firm in what I wrote. Indeeed, my reasons foir qualifying it are simply. After all, do you REALLY want to see more Traditions of the Cute and Cuddly Unicorn Friends flopping about as so-called "Wicca". So yes, not everyone would know what to do with them, particularly the material on developing one's own Tradition. This is, hence, why I have said that a grounding in Traditionalism is so important, so that they aren't mis-informed about what is, and ias not, Traditionalism. Often the newb will go in believing that the first book they read is presenting Traditional Wicca, only to becme sorely disillusions. It would be a treagedy for a newb to draw off of this, unthinkingly or mistakenly. Unless, of course, you'd rather the newb misuse Cunningham'sa good material... But, I doubt that you would. :cheers:
    Last edited by MacMorrighan; December 29th, 2006 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typos

Cunningham's Curses...

Someone mentioned, earlier, that Cunniungham wrote some very in-depth publically available stuff, such as dealing with curses, or what have you. Where might one find this? Where were they published, etc.? Of course, I'm pressuming that it's not something I may already own.)

Quote Originally Posted by MacMorrighan View Post
    Someone mentioned, earlier, that Cunniungham wrote some very in-depth publically available stuff, such as dealing with curses, or what have you. Where might one find this? Where were they published, etc.? Of course, I'm pressuming that it's not something I may already own.)

I think it's in a couple of his books. He mentions somthing about including them for "academic compleatness" or some such. They are suppused to be old curses or somthing. Chances are you probably do own it. If you were hoping for Cunninghams Compleate Book of Hexing and Cursing I am sorry I got your hopes all up. I will try to make time to see if I can find some of it so I can list it here for ya. But what do you mean, in-depth. Many of his works are very compleate, with toms of little entries about many stones etc. However, nothing I know of his could be called complicated. That is why I recomend him to beginners.
    All opinions and views expressed in this post are soly those of
    Desert Witch
    and do not reflect those of his Wife, Children, Friends and Family, or arguably, any sane individual. READER DISCRETION is advised.:deviltail

Men should be judged, not by their tint of skin, the Gods they serve, the vintage that they drink, nor by the way they fight, or love, or sin. but by the quality of thought they think.

Laurence Hope

"Studies have clearly shown that repeated posting of bullshit does not result in any significant reduction in the level of bullshit contained in the information posted. "

NiftyWings

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Witch View Post
    If you were hoping for Cunninghams Compleate Book of Hexing and Cursing I am sorry I got your hopes all up.
    Awe, darn it to heck, anyway! :deviltail

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Witch View Post
    But what do you mean, in-depth. Many of his works are very compleate, with toms of little entries about many stones etc. However, nothing I know of his could be called complicated. That is why I recomend him to beginners.
    Oh, I said "in-depth", because I thought that was the word used in the posting which initially brought it up in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMorrighan View Post
    Oh, I said "in-depth", because I thought that was the word used in the posting which initially brought it up in the first place.
    Not in-depth like that, more like-He covers all the beginners bases when it comes to Herbs, Stones Etc. It's not the same as walking through the fields with a teacher or anything, but not a bad second. My Student is just breaking into some of his Herb Books right now so my house reeks of incense right now, and she left hours ago! Oh, the crap we go through for our Students...
    All opinions and views expressed in this post are soly those of
    Desert Witch
    and do not reflect those of his Wife, Children, Friends and Family, or arguably, any sane individual. READER DISCRETION is advised.:deviltail

Men should be judged, not by their tint of skin, the Gods they serve, the vintage that they drink, nor by the way they fight, or love, or sin. but by the quality of thought they think.

Laurence Hope

"Studies have clearly shown that repeated posting of bullshit does not result in any significant reduction in the level of bullshit contained in the information posted. "

NiftyWings

I hope bumping threads isn't against the rules (since it is in some forums),
    but I was wondering whether the book 'Modern Magic' by Donald Michael Kraig is any good for a traditional witch?
    I bought it used but now I've started to wonder whether I should even read it..?
    If anybody can help, I would be very grateful!

Im reading Paul Husons book right now and for the moment it seems ok!
    "One cannot learn the truth when one has already decided what the truth is"

(Signature & avatar made by me)

It's more geared towards ceremonial magicians. But it does make for some interesting reading. And it does have information on how to attune yourself to the elements, how to meditate, and pathworking. It also teaches how to divine using tarot cards.

Hope this helps!

Gypsyballad: Thanks for replying!
    Ceremonial magic is really not my thing,
    but divination with Tarot does interest me a lot, so I'll give it a read!
    "One cannot learn the truth when one has already decided what the truth is"

(Signature & avatar made by me)

Thread necromancy ("bumping" old threads) is not discouraged here -- although personally I always prefer it if the "bump" adds something rather than just a bump for the sake of a bump.

I recommend Donald Michael Kraig's book no matter what style of magick you are interested in because while it does come from a ceremonial magick point of view, it's a good foundation in just plain old magick no matter what variety you end up following. It also provides some good groundwork for understanding what types of magick came before us, and helps us understand what modern magick styles were based on.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Spica View Post
    Gypsyballad: Thanks for replying!
    Ceremonial magic is really not my thing,
    but divination with Tarot does interest me a lot, so I'll give it a read!
    You're very welcome! It really does have a lot of information on different topics regarding magic, including the ones I mentioned, and it does go into the history of magic.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast