View Poll Results: What do you think of Silver Ravenwolf?

Voters
640. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love her books

133 20.78%
  • Hate her books

170 26.56%
  • On the fence

185 28.91%
  • Never read her

152 23.75%
Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Ravenwolf

is offline solitary eclectic kitchen witch )O(

Question Silver Ravenwolf

What do you think of her books? I have read To Ride a Silver Broomstick and To Stir a Magick Cauldron but that was early in my studies as I started out on my path. She's got a new one out, called Solitary Witch (here's a link) that I have thought about picking up, but I'm undecided. I know that some Wiccans don't like Ravenwolf's work (this article is good => http://wicca.timerift.net/ravenwolf.html ) and some do, so I guess I'm hoping to get feedback from all of you at MW to see what the consensus of our community is.

There's a hugeass long thread on her somewhere in here... *goes looking for it*

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=26650

Grieving, Accepting, Still Loving & Missing Him
    If you scroll down to the very bottom of the screen, you'll find a few similar threads. Silver Ravenwolf has been quite controversial! I'd be interested to see the results of your poll.

I happen to like her.
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

As to Solitary Witch (I was sure I posted about it in here somewhere but can't find the thread right now - maybe I did in the SRW thread) - it's along the lines of her other work but based as a BoS rather then as a teaching book. I like to open it up for ideas and tidbits of info to start with then move on from using her references, but it is subject to the same kind of language and level of historical accuracy as well as the same kind of "fluffyness" so to speak. I remember one thing that irritated me was her mentioning Egypt here and there as if it gave authenticity - for instance "well Egyptians used brooms!!!!!!". She also didn't provide good info for Egyptian Gods (I note them specifically because I *know* Netjer/Egyptian Gods well enough to say).

I love it as a reference but it would be useless to beginners and should be taken as a place to start from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierna
    What do you think of her books? I have read To Ride a Silver Broomstick and To Stir a Magick Cauldron but that was early in my studies as I started out on my path. She's got a new one out, called Solitary Witch (here's a link) that I have thought about picking up, but I'm undecided. I know that some Wiccans don't like Ravenwolf's work (this article is good => http://wicca.timerift.net/ravenwolf.html ) and some do, so I guess I'm hoping to get feedback from all of you at MW to see what the consensus of our community is.

I could not even bring myself to finish that article. The person is obviously bitter and lashing out as they made quite a few comments which lead me to believe they are uninformed or ill-informed.

You truly have to take her writing with a grain of salt, and a laugh. I've really experienced that the people who do not appreciate her books in the slightest are usually very uptight, and harboring a lot of negative energy. That or they haven't the slightest sense of humor.

Personally, I find it a bit hypocritical myself to call yourself Wiccan, then intentionally lash out at someone in the form of an article, constructive or not, and this wasn't. It's hardly harmonious, and it's hardly positive or what I personally have grown to understand as being wiccan.

I love her books personally, but I tend to take a lot of her personal comments with a bit of humor. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven_WindSong
    I could not even bring myself to finish that article. The person is obviously bitter and lashing out as they made quite a few comments which lead me to believe they are uninformed or ill-informed.
    Just curious, what comments made you believe the author doesn't know what they're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Gnosis
    Just curious, what comments made you believe the author doesn't know what they're talking about?

There weren't so much certain things, as a vibe that I got. Which I'm well aware isn't exactly credible to most, but I follow my gut.

I just don't appreciate people who last out at others in this manner, it seems immature and silly. She freely tells people to not listen to her dogma in many books and to read whatever else they can get their hands on, the article itself makes it come across as though she is some sort of dictator.

I accept that authors are not perfect, and misinformation or difference in information varies depending on your studious background, but it's hardly a reason for this sort of fiasco, if you will.

There seems to be people who despise every pagan author out there who in fact refer to themselves as pagans. The worsts I've seen are those relating to Silver RavenWolf and Scott Cunningham. I've seen them outright cursed at in some instances, which simply forces me to roll my eyes.

Ah, well, you might visit the rest of the pages on her website. She appears to be pretty knowledgeable to me, and has been a Wiccan for over a decade, but that's just my impression.

I don't agree with how some bash SRW and in fact posted in that SRW thread I mentioned a few posts up as Myst to defend her for many pages. I do enjoy parts of her books but wouldn't recommend them to beginners at all either, for some of the reasons mentioned on that link, and largely because her books focus a lot more on magic then discussing theology or ritual. I don't understand why some get so wound up and uptight about her writing, but I do see why they have problems with it too. So I'm kind of on the fence. Just my 2 cents

Grieving, Accepting, Still Loving & Missing Him
    I don't understand why some get so wound up and uptight about her writing, but I do see why they have problems with it too. So I'm kind of on the fence. Just my 2 cents
    It seems ridiculous to me also. I have much more of a problem with these little "Everything You Need To Be A Witch" kits that I've been seeing in bookstores lately - people putting together $3.00 worth of stuff in a pretty box and selling it for $30.
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

Ah, well, you might visit the rest of the pages on her website. She appears to be pretty knowledgeable to me, and has been a Wiccan for over a decade, but that's just my impression.

I don't agree with how some bash SRW and in fact posted in that SRW thread I mentioned a few posts up as Myst to defend her for many pages. I do enjoy parts of her books but wouldn't recommend them to beginners at all either, for some of the reasons mentioned on that link, and largely because her books focus a lot more on magic then discussing theology or ritual. I don't understand why some get so wound up and uptight about her writing, but I do see why they have problems with it too. So I'm kind of on the fence. Just my 2 cents

I usually recommend her as more of a second or third author myself. Personally, I prefer the way she discusses science and magick over theology as I feel that is truly more of a personal choice and affinity. I like reading about science, quantum physics, energy, etc. I make up my own rules in terms of god, divinity, etc. so I do not really want to sit around and be dictated to about that. Facts about mythology and practices are fine, but for the most part, those are rarely accurate.

I actually did read more of that lady's website after I updated my live journal, and she seems... hmm, well, I'm on the fence, as you would say about whether I find her credible or not. All in all though, I don't truly care. If she prefers to write articles such as that, that is her perogative. No one is forcing me to read them.

I am just steadily growing more irritated by people who say things such as the following example:

"Scott Cunningham was a prissy lil' wannabe, who couldn't show anyone any sort of advancement beyond simplistic basics. He's basically babying people!"

Hmph.

Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast