Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Books Beyond the Introductory

Quote Originally Posted by Freyja
    LOL, why not go where the money is, right?
    I wonder just what you think publishers should do. I don't know of a pro bono publisher in the Pagan world who can publish books without giving any consideration of the market for them. Only a publisher with many millions to throw away could do that.

I do a great deal of my book browsing in the bookstore. Here in Oklahoma, we are fortunate to even have a magical studies' section. Both of the large chains, Borders and B&N are Christian-owned. I'm aware of Amberlaine's book and have never seen it on a shelf here - I've been looking since it was published, and Yasmine's "Sexual Ecstasy" is on my wish list. I've never seen any of the others you mentioned on our shelves here. I don't do online ordering since I don't do credit cards and I also don't like to pay shipping charges if I can avoid it.
    Although I'd rather people would buy my books almost anywhere than at Amazon.com (they get so low a wholesale price that authors really don't make anything from their sales.) they have a process by which you can pay by check. Paypal.com also offers a number of ways to pay for purchases online. Amazon doesn't make shipping charges over a certain figure, usually about the cost of two trade paperbacks.

Still - Amberlaine is 26 years old......what I'm trying to convey is that authors who share the same life stage and experience seem to be rare. Most authors do not speak to me in a way that indicates that they do. I'm very fortunate to have access to many people IRL within my age group, but that group is still smaller than the younger group. While I love young people, there are times when I prefer to interact with people my own age.
    The authors of the books I mentioned range in age from 63 (me) to Amber Laine. Judy Harrow is only a few years younger than me, Dana Eilers appears to be in her 40's (from her bio) as are most of the others. I have to go to my high school reunion to ever interact with my own age group. I was born in a year with an extremely low birth rate. I've spent my life with people either 10 years older or 10 years younger than me. I do understand that it's nice to be able to mention something and have most of the group remember it as you do, but I certainly wouldn't want to limit those I learn from to only my age group.

Actually, I think that if I could give you a list of advanced books written by people your own age that are available at your local bookstore there'd be something wrong with them.
    Blessings

Grey Cat
    Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge
    American Indian Ceremonies: Walking the Good Red Road
    http://greycat.cc
    http://deepeningwitchcraft.com
    http://greycat.cc/ceremonies/

Grieving, Accepting, Still Loving & Missing Him
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat

Actually, I think that if I could give you a list of advanced books written by people your own age that are available at your local bookstore there'd be something wrong with them.
    Nope, we're just not communicating here. I'm not saying that there is anything "wrong" with any of the books you mentioned, especially since I stated that I wasn't aware of them nor have I read them.

I work two jobs and travel more than 120 miles round trip to get to both of them and live with a terminally ill husband, so time spent shopping for anything is limited. When my freelance job takes me to a location near one of the bigger bookstores, I can't resist stopping in before I go home, but these times are few and far between. The list you mentioned could save me quite a bit of time
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

Nope, we're just not communicating here. I'm not saying that there is anything "wrong" with any of the books you mentioned, especially since I stated that I wasn't aware of them nor have I read them.

I work two jobs and travel more than 120 miles round trip to get to both of them and live with a terminally ill husband, so time spent shopping for anything is limited. When my freelance job takes me to a location near one of the bigger bookstores, I can't resist stopping in before I go home, but these times are few and far between. The list you mentioned could save me quite a bit of time
    There are more books listed on the Deepening Witchcraft website. Many aren't Pagan books on the surface. They do have links to Amazon and I do make a few cents if you use them but they are, of course easily available from other places.

You should be able to call some of these bookstores for books you want ordered. After all, they are in the business of selling books!

http://www.deepeningwitchcraft.com/recomread.html
    Blessings

Grey Cat

What I believe to be "advanced" is experience itself. Take a look at all of the RPG's, games, sci-fis, and fantasies that many pagans have an aversion to (simply by association with magick). Have a second thought - CAN you try some things? I know the obvious answers are, you can't lob a 20 x 20 fireball off the freeway... but slowing time? Affecting weather? Affecting minds? Seeing the unknown? It's not the POINT of magick, to bend wills. BUT, it is the door to exploration and growth. I don't tend to limit myself. When I was more naive about the way magick worked, I tried to bring a lightning bolt on a bully's head in the 5th grade, on a clear, sunny day. After much frustration, I threw rocks at him instead.

Since I'm also a scholar-freak, I say that alongside power, should be Knowledge. Wisdom is the middle path... learn all you can. To have a deeper understanding of the path you walk, I say it's essential to know where your path and traditions came from. So, I look more toward books on philosophy, theory, history, and anthropology. I also look to the wisdom and experience of others.

Here's an article I wrote for my website: What Happened to the "Advanced" in Wicca?

It's outdated and in need of dusting, but it will do.

Lightbulb *just a thought*

I do not know how easy or hard this would be...
    But,
    You know what really went over well in the christian religion? (to me it seemed)

Those books that had spiritually lifting true stories of different people in one book.
    Like 3 or 4, maybe more people.

Telling how the spirituality of their life and religion helped them in one way or the other.

Even those 'chicken soup' books went over well.

Even if people never read them, they bought them up like starving people around hotcakes.
    Last edited by ~*Ginger*~; December 2nd, 2003 at 09:42 AM.

No Regrets!
    Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
    "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
    ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
    Welcome to my World!
    Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

Quote Originally Posted by ~*FloraCove*~
    I do not know how easy or hard this would be...
    But,
    You know what really went over well in the christian religion? (to me it seemed)

Those books that had spiritually lifting true stories of different people in one book.
    Like 3 or 4, maybe more people.

Telling how the spirituality of their life and religion helped them in one way or the other.

Even those 'chicken soup' books went over well.

Even if people never read them, they bought them up like starving people around hotcakes.
    There are a couple more or less like what you are talking about in preparation. M. Macha Nightmare is doing a "proud to be Pagan" type book and I'm working on an "inspirational" one.
    Blessings

Grey Cat

I would like to see more books of a more philosophical view. In my opinion some authors really just publish information on Wicca but forget that every path is just a seekers' path.. And that thinking about our relation to deity (whatever deity you seek out to worship or on the contrary, do not worshop) is a major factor in finding that which we seek. I would welcome more deeper explaining to the "why" of Witchcraft and Wicca. Why is it a "Threefold" law for instance and not a "Unlimitedfold" law? Where did that number came from? Where did Wicca inherit any ritual habit from?

Maybe these points are just personal views on things I think need to improve.

I do a great deal of my book browsing in the bookstore. Here in Oklahoma, we are fortunate to even have a magical studies' section. Both of the large chains, Borders and B&N are Christian-owned.
    I'm not sure about your part of the world, but here in Ohio, Borders has a metaphysical section that's not small by any means.

B&N has a smaller section, but they do have a 'Wicca' display close to the front of the store.

-Ater
    Since the thread couldn't be re-opened, here's what I wanted to say:

I've decided to leave after all. I just can't take any of this anymore.

Thanks to all who wanted me to stay. It really means a lot to me.

Bye.

MM~
    Why is it a "Threefold" law for instance and not a "Unlimitedfold" law? Where did that number came from? Where did Wicca inherit any ritual habit from?
    goDez, something you might be interesting in...

http://www.waningmoon.com/ethics/

It's a project John Coughlin is working on, and so far it's very insightful and interesting...

Namaste, Gede...
    The soul is a veiled light. When neglected, it flickers and dies out, but when it is fed with the holy oil of love, it shines forth like an immortal lamp.

Talking

Grey Cat,

Thank you so much for the link. The books and their brief descriptions have helped me pic a few books to add to the wish list. So far I have: Everyday Magic, Earth Time Moon Time, and The Practical Pagan. Figured these will be a good start to a new Year.

I posted in the book section for help and got a great "TRUE" reply. In essence, living the Pagan Path is the next level.

SO, I am gonna buy a few more books and set a spiritual goal each day.

Love and Light

Cj

www.geocities.com/magickcottage
    May Magick always be a part of your day.

Visit me at WWW.geoocities.com/magickcottage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast