Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Books Beyond the Introductory

is offline Time And Relative Dimension In Space
    KC, MO
    I agree, more ethical and philosophical books. I'd say anthropological books, but at the moment I'm so tired of reading *about* religions. Like alchemy. Do you know how many books you can find *about* alchemy? But very, very rarely is there a book published in the past century that has any practical information. I like learning about things; I like it alot, but if I can't practically apply it to my life, then what does it really mean to me? Sure I can impress my friends with my encyclopedic knowledge, but am I really progressing spiritually? So I would say that there should be more deep, practical books on subjects that are only addressed or talked *about*. ^_^

And I think there's a lack of books addressing the core questions about theology, reality, theodicy, etc? Isn't it a bad thing that I can write a ten page paper on suffering in Buddhist thought without blinking an eye, but I have trouble coming up with a few sentences about Wicca? I think part of the problem is that we're so individualistic and people are afraid of alienating people if they get too specific with their philosophy.

But I really think that this is where a number of religions are ahead of us. We can have a thousand different schools of philosophy, and that is fine, but *schools* is the key word. We should be intensely discussing and exploring these issues, and even if no one agrees, at least they'll have ideas to provoke deep thought and to argue with.

Take Hinduism. They have 8 major schools of philosophy, plus hundreds of minor ones and variations, and then at least half a dozen heterodox philosophies. No one really agrees, but they still explore it. That's what I'd like to see happen with Wicca. We've got a set of practices, with major and minor variations, and we've got a set of basic beliefs, with major and minor variations, but we rarely dig deeper, and when we do, it's into other religions, like Buddhism, Hinduism, Native American spirituality, and various paganisms across Eurasia. And more rarely do we take these and make them our own with intensive thought.

Maybe I'm just voicing my own problems in my own spirituality, but I'd like to think that other people are facing these problems as well. We say we have a fundamentally different way of looking at things, but how many people can articulate it? Now, I think this is mostly true of Wicca, but also for other paganisms, just to a lesser degree.

As far as age, well, the people I have to talk to are either my age (about 21) or my parents' age (about 4. Most of them my age are either into something radically different from me or look for answers from me. *eek!* I'd say that my best spring-boards, though, are my brothers. We don't intimidate each other, and we have common experiences and influences. Though, and this is speaking as a youngun, I think age often doesn't matter. I think we just offer each other different things, not necessarily better or worse.

I should probably stop here. But I think that gives you an idea of what I'd like to see addressed. ^_^

Tashi delek!
    Dawa Lhamo
    Before you accuse someone of LYING, please read this first.

There's Philosophy of Wicca by Amber Laine Fisher, ECW Press and Witching Culture by Sabina Magliocco U. of PA Press. My own book devotes a chapter to the Wiccan cosmology and you will find a certain amount of philosophy in several of the recent "dark side" books.

Grey Cat
    Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge
    American Indian Ceremonies: Walking the Good Red Road

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3