Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Computer magic

is offline Silence! I will smite you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeliziw
    Now as to why computers chrashed when smudged. personally I don't want to know what was hanging around them that made that happen.

zelizi
    We still have not figured it out.
    We were cleansing everything when we got to the old box everthing seemed fine.
    The next day it didn't want to work at all. I could not even get a dos prompt!
    So like I said,we shut it down during ritual/circle time.
    In memory of my brother.
    July 12 1965-July 7 2005.
    May you find peace on your journey.

"To be a man you must have honor, honor and a penis!"
    ~ Shin Chan ~

Tormentor of Fairywolf!

I do computer spells if I need something to change quickly, as the elementals of electricity are very quick.

I've kind of incorporated electricity as a 5th element in my workings. I don't use it too often (rarely do I use it for traditional spells), but it is nice for certain occassions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Cobra
    I do computer spells if I need something to change quickly, as the elementals of electricity are very quick.

I've kind of incorporated electricity as a 5th element in my workings. I don't use it too often (rarely do I use it for traditional spells), but it is nice for certain occassions.
    ~*~*~

Electric is quick yes but traditionally the fifth element would be spirit.

Electric, to me, feels closest to fire with some air energy thrown in actually

Zelizi

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    We still have not figured it out.
    We were cleansing everything when we got to the old box everthing seemed fine.
    The next day it didn't want to work at all. I could not even get a dos prompt!
    So like I said,we shut it down during ritual/circle time.
    Mine's pretty often in the same space as rituals -- all winter mostly. So far, no problems. I always heard about not wearing wrist watches in circle, but my tweetie bird watch doesn't seem to mind when I've forgotten to take it off.
    Blessings

Grey Cat
    Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge
    American Indian Ceremonies: Walking the Good Red Road
    http://greycat.cc
    http://deepeningwitchcraft.com
    http://greycat.cc/ceremonies/

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat
    Do you do magic with or on your computer? Smudge it when it's acting wierd? Do rituals online?

GC

OH YEAH! Big time...I smudge my computer every so often because think about it: the computer, if you are hooked up to the net, is just like any other portal and even more powerful because of the electrical energy involved.

So I'm careful with the smoke (don't want to damage the machine) but I do smudge it as well as my phones.

Otherwise, I do some forms of computer magic--using a scrolling text marquee for a screen saver of things I want to happen, use desktop wallpaper to evoke moods or energy, things like that.

Yasmine
    New York Times Best-selling Author
    Urban Fantasy At Its Best
    The OTHERWORLD SERIES & the upcoming
    INDIGO COURT SERIES
    BONE MAGIC: Available Now
    INKED ANTHOLOGY: Available Now
    NIGHT MYST: 6.29.2010
    HARVEST HUNTING: 10.26.2010
    BLOOD WYNE: 2.2011
    Galenorn En/Visions
    Yasmine on Myspace
    Yasmine's Twitter

--Contact me via my site or MySpace if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeliziw
    ~*~*~

Electric is quick yes but traditionally the fifth element would be spirit.

Electric, to me, feels closest to fire with some air energy thrown in actually

Zelizi

I think there are a lot of elements, more than the trad. five of the Craft. I see lava, ice, mud, and mist as elements in their own right--and electricity as another...I suppose you could call them 'subelements' but then we're starting to talk semantics, because lava is definitely different than both fire and earth, and ice is different than water and air, and so forth.

Spirit...hmmm...for me--spirit isn't an element. It's a force. Different paths, different ways, and it's interesting to see what people work with.

Yasmine
    INDIGO COURT SERIES
    Galenorn En/Visions
    Yasmine on Myspace
    Yasmine's Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    We smudged ours once.
    It didn't like us after that, it totally crashed.
    I had to reformat.
    We shut down when we do circle/ritual now.

You have to be cautious when working smoke around computers...it can damage the unit, as can water. Not everything is supernatural *G*...sometimes it's good old-fashioned practicality.

Yasmine
    INDIGO COURT SERIES
    Galenorn En/Visions
    Yasmine on Myspace
    Yasmine's Twitter

Number of elements

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Galenorn
    I think there are a lot of elements, more than the trad. five of the Craft. I see lava, ice, mud, and mist as elements in their own right--and electricity as another...I suppose you could call them 'subelements' but then we're starting to talk semantics, because lava is definitely different than both fire and earth, and ice is different than water and air, and so forth.

Spirit...hmmm...for me--spirit isn't an element. It's a force. Different paths, different ways, and it's interesting to see what people work with.

Yasmine
    (Note--I did not originate the idea I speak about below. I have, however, taken the basic thought and gone my own places.)

I see your sub-elements as being manifestations of elemental blends. Lava is fire of earth, ice is earth of water, mud is water of earth, mist is air of water and electricity is air of fire.

This is a really valueable way to approach the elements in magic.
    Blessings

Grey Cat
    Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge
    American Indian Ceremonies: Walking the Good Red Road
    http://greycat.cc
    http://deepeningwitchcraft.com
    http://greycat.cc/ceremonies/

(Note--I did not originate the idea I speak about below. I have, however, taken the basic thought and gone my own places.)

I see your sub-elements as being manifestations of elemental blends. Lava is fire of earth, ice is earth of water, mud is water of earth, mist is air of water and electricity is air of fire.

This is a really valueable way to approach the elements in magic.

I really *love* lava....

Yas
    INDIGO COURT SERIES
    Galenorn En/Visions
    Yasmine on Myspace
    Yasmine's Twitter

Do you do magic with or on your computer? Smudge it when it's acting wierd? Do rituals online?

GC
    (waves) Hi Cat!

For me a computer is a magickal tool, just like anything else. It's a tool that provides a means for focusing and sending/receiving energy, just an athame or wand.

Focusing directly *on* the computer isn't beneficial (in my experience). For example, when I'm on deadline and focusing heavily on what I need to do, my computer crashes. No apparent reason. Just locks up. This happens regardless of machine or operating system (Mac OS 9, OSX, Win 95/98SE/ME/2000 and XP Home and XP Professional). Okay, maybe it's just me getting pissed at the silly machine and blowing it's curcuits.

Smudging, with the intent to cleanse both my frustration and the machines malfunctions, tends to help tremendously.

Rituals online? Yes, two different types: celebratory (low-energy, newbie-safe) and intensive personal. The latter are only done rarely and with people I know well.

Communication on the Internet has a type of comforting anonymity where individuals assume personae that may or may not match their real selves. This creates a false sense of security and openness. People are more willing to open up online then they might be in person, partially because the body-language feedback is missing.

Also, energy work can be just as effective online. Isn't holding hands in a circle creating a network? So doing ritual or energy work online is like setting up a wide-area network. (Would that make the HP/S the router?)

During an online ritual, it's easy to put more of yourself into the rite then you might have intended. Participants should be aware of their own energy systems and be able to guard against over-extending themselves. It's also difficult to do ritual guardianship for an online ritual.

This is a topic that is fascinating for me, probably because my computers are magickal tools.

Blessings,

Ceffyl
    (TechnoPagan Tech Writer)
    Last edited by Ceffyl; April 13th, 2004 at 01:03 AM.
    "Here cold water babbles through apple branches, and roses keep the whole place in shadow, and from the quivering leaves a trance of slumber falls; here a meadow, where horses pasture, blooms with flowers of spring, and the breezes gently blow." ~Sappho
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~ Arabian proverb
    ~EPONA.net~ A Scholarly Resource: Archaeology and History of Epona
    Peoples Against Bad History

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast