Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Wiccan Mystery

The Wiccan Mystery

I hope that Raven Grimassi will join us in this discussion as he's the outhor of THE book!

How many are aware that Wicca is spoken of as a "Mystery religion". What do you think that means?

Is a mystery religion different from other religions? In what ways?

What does "mystery religion" mean to you?
    Blessings

Grey Cat
    Deepening Witchcraft: Advancing Skills and Knowledge
    American Indian Ceremonies: Walking the Good Red Road
    http://greycat.cc
    http://deepeningwitchcraft.com
    http://greycat.cc/ceremonies/

To me, a mystery religion raises ideas of exploration and discovery. Magick is an unpredictable creature, and discoveries are rampant!!! :D

For example. In religions about order and law, I will develop how the faiths demands me to. It's not wrong. In fact, it's a secure path. But with mystery religions, you'll never know how you'll turn out, even if you set down a path for yourself. I am on the path of the observing warrior, but tomorrow, something strange may happen that may turn me into something else entirely. Mystery religions are fun, and exciting to me.

(It also helps that as a kid, I loved to explore and get in trouble!)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat

How many are aware that Wicca is spoken of as a "Mystery religion". What do you think that means?

Is a mystery religion different from other religions? In what ways?

What does "mystery religion" mean to you?
    I've definitely heard of Wicca being referred to as a Mystery Religion, where "mystery" means that the core of the religion can not be taught, it must be experienced. For example, you can read as much as you want, but if you don't put it into practise, you won't "get it."

Grimassi's book definitely is one of the better books for verablizing some of the Mysteries, although an individual who hasn't thoroughly studied might not understand what Grimassi is writing about.

Blessings,

Ceffyl
    "Here cold water babbles through apple branches, and roses keep the whole place in shadow, and from the quivering leaves a trance of slumber falls; here a meadow, where horses pasture, blooms with flowers of spring, and the breezes gently blow." ~Sappho
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~ Arabian proverb
    ~EPONA.net~ A Scholarly Resource: Archaeology and History of Epona
    Peoples Against Bad History

Quote Originally Posted by Ceffyl
    I've definitely heard of Wicca being referred to as a Mystery Religion, where "mystery" means that the core of the religion can not be taught, it must be experienced. For example, you can read as much as you want, but if you don't put it into practise, you won't "get it."
    That was pretty much my understanding of the mysteries as well. That's one of the most common questions that I get from people in my circle, and although it sounds cliche, I really can't explain it to them...it's frustrating sometimes, but that's how it is.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon
    Priestess of Avalon, Daughter of the Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Ceffyl
    I think the mysteries of Wicca are a number of things, none of which can actually be put into words. The most you can do is talk around them and maybe the very first mystery is to learn how to identify the hole in the middle of the words and deduce the size and shape of it.
    Blessings

Grey Cat

WHat a wonderful thread! And I too would love to be able to talk to the Author about his book, as It is one of my "Essentials" and I reccomend it to EVERYONE no matter what point of the journey they are on the path they travel.

Wicca (according to Raven's Book)
    originally was NOT a religion but synonomous with Craft in that Say for example a druid was magical, he was said to possess the Wicca....

(I hope I paraphrazed that right)

To me, Wicca is more than a religion, it is a quest, a journey to finding that Divine Essence through which we are all conected with via the higher self, (Divine Mind)

Occult means Hidden, so we can equate that with Mysterious...

The media gives the word OCCULT a bad rap,

When people on TV talk about OCCULT, right away the go associating it with the Darker side of life which incidently has nothing in common with the core beliefs of Wicca.

This is how the Media misleads the General Public by makeing that association...

Our task in this generation, I believe, Is to educate people, let them see that when we carve pumpkins in October it has a special meaning to us..

Let people know that we dont Slaughter Chickens or pigs or humans for that matter, for the sake of appeasing a False God....

True sacrafice is alot deeper than that and we are not savages!

We have been Persecuted ever scince about when the Time switched from BC to AD,

we have laws on our side now, and I feel it is our biggest challenge to make peace and stop fighting over which path is the right path........

Eventually, there comes a time in life when our guides pause and let us continue on by ourselves, because what we find deep within ourselves is different from person to person... that is what makes us UNIQUE, we need to stop arguing over whether the Gardinians were right, or the Celts, The Jewish Qaballa is very powerfull and studied now by the non jew alike.

Location and environment also play a factor in our beliefs...
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

I personally don't view Wicca as a "mystery religion." It might be such for others, but I personally think that Wicca has too many restrictions and 'ceremonial' ideas to really allow for a person's personal mysteries to be explored to a sufficient level.

Sure, things could be borrowed from other traditions in order to discover the mysteries, but those other traditions aren't a part of Wicca, they're just something you've added yourself. For example, shamanism. Just because a Wiccan goes on inner journeys using shamanic (or is it shamanistic?) methods, doesn't give them the right to call it 'Shamanic Wicca' or other such nonsense. And for those who say that shamanism has a lot in common with Wicca, I say: Not a chance! Wicca's teachings have more in common with Ceremonial Magic than anything else.

But, that's just my observation....

-Ater
    Since the thread couldn't be re-opened, here's what I wanted to say:

I've decided to leave after all. I just can't take any of this anymore.

Thanks to all who wanted me to stay. It really means a lot to me.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67
    To me, Wicca is more than a religion, it is a quest, a journey to finding that Divine Essence through which we are all conected with via the higher self, (Divine Mind)
    Wicca shares most clearly with ceremonial magic and less clearly with several other religions the goal of the transformation of the individual. And this certainly is one of the 'mysteries' which make up Wicca.

When people on TV talk about OCCULT, right away the go associating it with the Darker side of life which incidently has nothing in common with the core beliefs of Wicca.

This is how the Media misleads the General Public by makeing that association...
    This is, of course, quite true but 'the media' certainly isn't guilty of beginning this trend. There is a tendency of all highly organized religions for the priesthood to take over the 'mysteries' and deny them to the ordinary member of the religion. The early Christian church did this but they aren't the only group which did.

We have been Persecuted ever scince about when the Time switched from BC to AD,
    This depends on just who you mean by "we". One religion persecuting another religion probably stretches back beyond dating. Certainly Wiccans haven't been persecuted in the distant past because there weren't any Wiccans. And 'the burning times' was primarily aimed against Christians who didn't toe the party line, not pagans or those of any other religion although this did occasionally slip in if heretics were difficult to find.
    Blessings

Grey Cat

Quote Originally Posted by RhiannonSolana
    That was pretty much my understanding of the mysteries as well. That's one of the most common questions that I get from people in my circle, and although it sounds cliche, I really can't explain it to them...it's frustrating sometimes, but that's how it is.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon
    Exactly. Trying to explain the concept is pretty well impossible. However, it is possible to carefully guide students so they can make the discovery on their own.

The key is that's its experiential; a Mystery with a capital M, implying something that is revealed and is transformative. The people who understand the Mystery have an immediate unspoken bond created by that understanding.

Blessings,

Starr
    "Here cold water babbles through apple branches, and roses keep the whole place in shadow, and from the quivering leaves a trance of slumber falls; here a meadow, where horses pasture, blooms with flowers of spring, and the breezes gently blow." ~Sappho
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~ Arabian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat
    I think the mysteries of Wicca are a number of things, none of which can actually be put into words. The most you can do is talk around them and maybe the very first mystery is to learn how to identify the hole in the middle of the words and deduce the size and shape of it.
    Well stated. And very true. I remember being completely puzzled at first because so much of what was discussed went over my head. It's a strange sense of reverse deja-vu when the students have the same "huh?" you had only a few years ago.

Ceffyl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast