Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Wiccan Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by AterCorax
    I personally don't view Wicca as a "mystery religion." It might be such for others, but I personally think that Wicca has too many restrictions and 'ceremonial' ideas to really allow for a person's personal mysteries to be explored to a sufficient level.
    How are you defining mystery? Is it a deeply personal experience that can not be shared or understood by another? Or is it a deeply personal experience that has a common thread between other participants in the religion?

Do you feel that restrictions upon personal practise create a stifling situation where personal expression and exploration isn't possible? Is there a specific context you are referring to?

Blessings,

Ceffyl
    "Here cold water babbles through apple branches, and roses keep the whole place in shadow, and from the quivering leaves a trance of slumber falls; here a meadow, where horses pasture, blooms with flowers of spring, and the breezes gently blow." ~Sappho
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~ Arabian proverb
    ~EPONA.net~ A Scholarly Resource: Archaeology and History of Epona
    Peoples Against Bad History

Quote Originally Posted by Ceffyl
    How are you defining mystery? Is it a deeply personal experience that can not be shared or understood by another? Or is it a deeply personal experience that has a common thread between other participants in the religion?
    It can be both. Although, to me personally, it's a more of a personal than group experience. Or at least, the personal experience is far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceffyl
    Do you feel that restrictions upon personal practise create a stifling situation where personal expression and exploration isn't possible? Is there a specific context you are referring to?
    A 'yes' to the first question. Although, I wouldn't really say that personal expression isn't possible, but it is far more restricting.

As for the second one, I haven't really thought about it in awhile.

-Ater
    Since the thread couldn't be re-opened, here's what I wanted to say:

I've decided to leave after all. I just can't take any of this anymore.

Thanks to all who wanted me to stay. It really means a lot to me.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat
    One religion persecuting another religion probably stretches back beyond dating. Certainly Wiccans haven't been persecuted in the distant past because there weren't any Wiccans.
    It is interesting to note that the earliest historical reference to "wicca" appears in a 9th century trial against a man accused of practicing magic. So, in this regard, historically speaking, there were those who were called wicca (and wicce). The word itself later became "witch" as we know. How similar the "wicca" of the past were to those of the present is difficult to say. Whatever the truth may be it was largely obscured by secular and ecclesiastical agenda over the course of several centuries.

For what it's worth, I personally view Wicca/Witchcraft/The Craft as a religion that has evolved over many centuries. In doing so it has differences and similarities when compared between past and present practices and beliefs.

By way of analogy, Catholics who practiced Christianity 2000 years ago were different from modern Catholics, and so was Christianity itself back then. But modern Catholocism/Christianity does not negate the existence and practices of those who established the roots (nor the connection/foundation). This is how I personally view the situation regarding modern and ancient "Wicca."

Just my two cents worth

Blessings - Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cat
    I hope that Raven Grimassi will join us in this discussion as he's the outhor of THE book! How many are aware that Wicca is spoken of as a "Mystery religion". What do you think that means? Is a mystery religion different from other religions? In what ways? What does "mystery religion" mean to you?
    Thank you, I'd be honored to participate in this discussion. To me, the mystery tradition speaks to the inner or "behind the scenes" process instead of simply the outer or mundane expression. For example, the opening of a bud into a flower is the outward manifestation of an inner process taking place within the plant. Mystery religions use such things to express spiritual and metaphysical concepts.

In modern Wicca we find myths and legends, such as the Legend of the Descent, the Charge of the Goddess, and so forth. It has long been the practice of Mystery Traditions to use myths and legends to preserve and to teach the inner spiritual principles. It would seem that in this regard alone, Wicca falls into the category of a Mystery religion.

But ultimately, how can we gather beneath the bright blessed day and the dark sacred night, and not experience that we stand within the very flow of the ancient mysteries?

Blessings - Raven

Merry Meet~
    I feel that Wicca as a religion serves the interests of those who are inclined to exploring balance and the cyclic nature of our Mother Earth. Though Wiccan Ritual is structured and heavily influenced by various occult and fraternic groups, the very essence of Wiccan Ritual is attunement to the Self and thus the depths of the unconscious and further into the realms of the Gods. This is the mystery as Raven has suggested below:

To me, the mystery tradition speaks to the inner or "behind the scenes" process instead of simply the outer or mundane expression. For example, the opening of a bud into a flower is the outward manifestation of an inner process taking place within the plant. Mystery religions use such things to express spiritual and metaphysical concepts.
    The tendency to dramatise and make ceremony out of the most simplistic transformations in the natural world allow us as humans to make contact with the sincere truth of that change and to accept it as something that is innate within our own psyche. It is almost as if the natural world is the deepest expression of the processes of human change and vice versa, we reflect the inner worlds of each other and seek to celebrate that bridge between two seemingly 'separate' things and yet the mystery is that we are not separate; we are but embodiments of the same natural flow of energy manifest as physical to allow sensation to overwhelm and comprehend the plethora of experience.

Namaste, Gede...
    The soul is a veiled light. When neglected, it flickers and dies out, but when it is fed with the holy oil of love, it shines forth like an immortal lamp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2