Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm wondering....

Question

How do you all prepare for a ritual of any kind?
    I always find it hard to concentrate on what I'm doing (most likely 'cause I'm 16), there is always something to distract me... like a song stuck in my head, or something of that nature.
    Thx
    The man... The myth... The ever so egotistical...The one they call Camboni...

<----- matrix!!!

preparation

A part of that may be your age. I had a hard time focusing on anything when I was younger. I usually find that a nice hot cleansing bath is great to prepare me. I mix in some nice essential oils and soak while I try to visualise all the negative thoughts dissolving into the water, then I let the water drain as I remain in the tub. Sort of a physical sensation to go along with the mental ideas of all the "bad" or unwanted energies draining away with the water.

Also you need to make sure that the spot you choose to work in is uncluttered of both material things and any possible noisy interuptions like the phone or children, etc. You need to be able to concentrate on what you are doing without interuptions. Practice meditating and see if you can stay focused long enough to do that. Practice makes perfect..or at least sufficient.
    Semele

I've found the bath/shower idea of Semele's to be a good idea, but I also try to prepare for ritual by meditating, or maybe just trying to focus my mind on exactly what I'm going to be doing (rehearsing it in my head over and over)... in fact, the last was the easiest way for me to block out my family when I was living with them.

Here's what we do: We take a ritual bath. Light a candle (or candles) on the bathroom counter and a stick of incense. Draw a comfortable bath and drop in some certain herbs and a bit of salt, and have to it. It relaxes you enough to drop you into that wonderful meditative state necessary for ritual. Too, it signals to your mind that you're leaving one "state of life" and entering into another, so that when you come out, you're not only clean and great-smelling, your mind-set/conscious-awareness has changed, as well.

"This is Harlan ... you never know who or what could be reaching back."

Merry Meet, Sleeping Ghost, and all:

I share your difficulty in keeping my mind focused. I am only now starting to learn how to meditate, which sometimes includes just allowing myself to "be" Trust me, it takes practice (for some of us, lots of practice!) but it will be well worth it.

I also throw my vote in for the nice shower or bath (I prefer the latter). I usually throw some nice smelling stuff into the bath with me as scents seem to work well for me.

Blessed Be,

Wyrdsister

[Edited by Wyrdsister on 02-15-2001 at 01:30 AM]

-----BEGIN MAGIC CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 1.5.1
    MPA++ X(--) PEG/PP+>+++ W(++) N+++ !D A- a>++ C G- QH++>++++ 666+(!) Y>+
    ------END MAGIC CODE BLOCK------

Make money for posting to interesting topics at MyLot

Oh Goddess, when I think back I remember how hard it was for me to learn to meditate. I learned in the 60s when I was following this guru from India (yup, I am an old hippie and proud of it) The only advice I can give you is to practice, practice, practice. Meditation is a good way to learn to control your mind, once that control is mastered, the world of magic will open up to you. Find a quiet place, if you have to, get up a 4:00 AM when the rest of the family is sleeping. When a thought comes into your mind to disturb your concentration, just acknowledge it, and go back to concentrating. I think of the interupting thoughts as bubbles comeing up and bursting on the surface. Once the burst they are gone, after a time all the bubbles will be gone.
    Bright Blessings,
    Lynnaea
    one of those tree hugging green witches
    http://moonglade.hypermart.net

Talking Take tiny steps...

The key to building up meditation skills or concentration needed to do spellwork, Is to start out slowly. Take a few moments each day to just sit and relax. Clear your mind slowly. Don't worry about any stray thoughts that may wander through your mind. Just let them come, examine them and put them aside. after a while and with a little patience, you will be able to deal with these thoughts and then be able to slip into gradually longer and deeper states. Work on this and you will find you are able to concentrate longer and slip into this state at will. :D Good Luck!
    Blessings
    Indeed older and wiser... yet somehow, more appealing than ever

I have ADHD so concentrating is very hard for me. I actually need something in the background to shut out other distractions. I like to use instrumental music that fits the mood of whatever working I'm doing. However I have to admit even then my best workings are right after a relaxing bath with oils that also fit into my working. We are all different the others have far more experience than I do and they are right practice is the key. Whatever you find works for you will work better the more that you practice it.
    Yes people are talking about you behind your back. That is where all the laughter is coming from.
    Dear Lord, I pray for:
    Wisdom, To understand a man Love, To forgive him and Patience, For his moods Because, Lord, if I pray for Strength
    I'll just beat him to death. Amen!

Help support my girl scout http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...66#post4022166

msn princesspain13@hotmail.com aim aangellmouse yahoo aangell_666

My second favorite place on the net is neopets if you want to check it out here is a link http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?u...e=aangellmouse

32.78N 117.15W Lower Left USA, just above, and slightly to the right of, TiaJuana

Wink Essential is the bath

As well as The Craft, I practice karate. There is a Zen form of meditation that has worked well for me:

Picture yourself at the bottom of a clear pond. Note that you can breath underwater. Next, examine your current thoughts. In so doing, imagine your thought as pure air in your lungs. Once the thought is clear, imagine looking up to the surface of the pond and let out an air bubble. Watch it as it goes to the surface and disappears along with your thought. Do this for about 15 to 20 minutes a day and you will clear the mind.

Otherwise, just take a bath and think not.

Thoma

Time permitted, I take a cleansing bath with homemade soaps particular to whatever ritual I'm going to perform, cleanse my mouth with salt water, flip on my music of choice (normally Enya), and sit and meditate for a few moments. Then I practice my elemental centering ritual which helps me to focus on myself and my work even more before I go any further.
    Solve et Coaguala!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast