Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading List

Originally posted by mol

No offense taken...I was just making sure that I wasn't posting something in the wrong thread.

And the books you listed are excellent. To add:

For mid-level, advanced, and those wanting to take a look at other Magickal concepts. I would also recommend: "The Book of Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage."

I have only been able to read the translated version by M. Mathers. I would love to get my hand on an original manuscript. Not that I dont trust Mathers.
    Yes I would like to get my hands on one of The Book of Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage. We did get a copy of The Grimoire of Pope Honorius as well as a english copy of The Sepher Rezial Hemelach. I have not sat down to read them yet but I hear that they are interesting ( they are more my wife's cup of tea )

MP B*B
    Krom
    "That if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,then thou wilt never find it without thee"

A great list being built here. I especially like Aleister Crowley books.

Guess I will throw in a book I found at a used book shoppe, just to see if anyone has heard of it or the author.

"Mastering Witchcraft" Paul Huson,
    published 1970 by Putnam.
    --I know that I am, and thats about all I can say for sure-- my own saying.

"And I feel like a newborn" --Filter.

(sorry this is from awhile ago but yes Fiona Horne has a book, she mentions her music a few times in there, it's a great book)

21st Century Wicca by Jennifer Hunter

(a good book for beginning Wiccans, lots of simple energy exercises and theology without a lot of spell or ritual - more of a book on "why" we do things we do when we're Wiccan)

The Celtic Shaman by John Matthews

Encyclopedia of Magickal Herbs by Scott Cuningham

Circle Round; Raising Children in Goddess Traditions by Starhawk et all

That's it off the top of my head

Originally posted by Tarot Collector
    A great list being built here. I especially like Aleister Crowley books.

Guess I will throw in a book I found at a used book shoppe, just to see if anyone has heard of it or the author.

"Mastering Witchcraft" Paul Huson,
    published 1970 by Putnam.
    Never heard of it or the author...looks like a trip to the bookstore is in my future...
    mol

sitegod/system_administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma
    follow mysticwicks on twitter | my blog

Here are some my favorites................

Man and His Symbols .......Carl Jung
    Astrology .. A Cosmic Science Isobel Hickey
    anything at all written by Dane Rudhyar,
    Robert Hand , Alan Leo , Alan Oaken, or Derek and Julia Parker
    Secrets of Sacred Space... Chuck Pettis
    I Ching .....Kerson and Rosemary Huang
    The Magical Child and the Crack in the
    Cosmic Egg by Joseph Chilton Pearce
    A Modern Herbal by Mrs M Grieve FRHS

Love and Light to read by ....
    Swannie
    As Above So Below, As Within , So Without,

http://pub18.ezboard.com/fthecrossedswordsfrm4

http://homepages.about.com/swanheart/swansvisionaryart/index.html
    Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person
    unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.

another plug

I may have said this before, but Ronald Hutton's "Triumph of the Moon" should be required reading for anybody who's serious about Paganism/Wicca.

I don't agree with all of his views, necessarily, but he certainly gives a more fair and comprehensive reading of early Wiccan/Pagan history than Aidan Kelly managed to do, and it leaves other books like Ann Moura's "Origins of Modern Witchcraft" in the dust. As an outsider, and as it turns out a sympathetic one, he has a lot of observations about Wicca and Paganism that bear consideration.

This is a very important book in the history of modern Paganism, and I really strongly suggest that anyone and everyone read it. It's not exactly an easy read but it's very rewarding, and very thought provoking.

Re: "Mastering Witchcraft"

Originally posted by mol

Never heard of it or the author...looks like a trip to the bookstore is in my future...

Well, I have a hardcover first edition, but oddly enough I was at a Borders bookstore near St. Louis the other day and saw a very recent small softcover version of it. So, much to my surprise it must not be out-of-print as I thought it was. The premise of the book is for starters, a history of witchcraft, much abbreviated, a few spells, both white and black, sigils for various purposes - including conjuring some risky-to-work-with beings/powers, and assembling magickal tools, inscribing them, etc. PLUS the basics of setting up covens.
    I would guess alot of this is covered quite well in more contemporary books with much less "black magick dabbling" how-to's offered.... But it might be worth a thumb though.

At this bookstore I also saw and thumbed through something like "...lessor Key of Solomon..." with Mathers and someone elses name attached to its publication (?) with a forward by Aleister Crowley. BUT, stupid me-- I sat it down meaning to pick it up before i went up to the counter and completely forgot until I was already home. Maybe I wasn't really ready for it.

Generally my collection consists of only a few "witchcraft" and "wiccan" books. More than anything I've tended to purchase Aleister Crowley, quite a few cabalistic books, and other esoterica not exclusively "wiccan" in their treatment of subjects. And, naturally, lots of Tarot books.

Great thread here, I would love to see some of us discuss some of the ins and outs of the books mentioned in the thread. I'll see if I can contribute a blip or two if I have the book being discussed.

-Jesse-
    Last edited by Tarot Collector; August 13th, 2001 at 02:18 AM.
    --I know that I am, and thats about all I can say for sure-- my own saying.

"And I feel like a newborn" --Filter.

Here is a sleeper for you. Even for Non-Wiccans.

Family Wicca Book by Ashleen O'Gaea
    mol

sitegod/system_administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma
    follow mysticwicks on twitter | my blog

Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism Gershom Scholem
    Kabbalah Gershom Scholem
    The Hebrew Goddess Raphael Patai
    Sefer Yetzirah Aryeh Kaplan
    Truth or Dare Starhawk
    The GOlden Bough Sir James Frazer
    A Garden of Pomegranates Isral Regardie

A little list from a pagan with a deeply Hermetic/Jewish twist