Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading List

Talking

I would highly recommend-"Natural Magick-Inside The Well-Stocked Witch"s Cupboard"by Sally Dubats.This was my first book and it has a lot of good information on the basics of divination,herbs,stones & crystals,spells,ritual,candle magick,etc.I also love the Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft. :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Blessed Be!!!!

I gotta question!

I've had a couple people tell me that the books that are out now are just skimming the surface of wicca and witchcraft, what do you guys think? If I'm gonna spend alot of money I want what I pay for! BB Angel
    A smile is forever branded in Memory.....

Unhappy

Anything by Scott Cunningham......oohhh how I wish I could have had the chance to meet him.....such a great mind!

Re: I gotta question!

Originally posted by AngelsBratt
    I've had a couple people tell me that the books that are out now are just skimming the surface of wicca and witchcraft, what do you guys think? If I'm gonna spend alot of money I want what I pay for! BB Angel
    Which books do you mean?

You really can't go wrong with Scott Cunningham's "Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner." Most everybody has read and used that book at some time. But there are many new books that are good; the only problem is that they usually just use the same info that is in other books. That doesn't make them bad, necessarily; they can be useful, they're just not very original.

Most of the Wiccan stuff that's out there can be originally found in Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner, The Witches' God and the Witches' Goddess by Janet & Stewart Farrar, or Ray Buckland's big blue book. Other people perhaps provide a different spin on them but the information is really much the same.

The books that are no good, usually LOOK that way. If you look at the covers they'll say outrageous things on the back, or they'll have silly titles or make really big claims for themselves. Pop it open and read some of it. If it doesn't make any sense, if it's poorly written, or if it just doesn't "feel" right, put it back.

I used to have a big fat list of "Authors To Avoid" for people, but I'm tired of being critical. People have come to the Path through all different ways, and one person's "are you kidding?" is another person's "oh my gosh!"

Mark S.

So many books listed here, I'll have to check some of them out.

I've got a few to recommend. One of them is "Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea" (I forget the author)

the other one is "Insomnia" by Stephen King
    That book is hellacool! (they're both fiction)

(Oh yeah, my girlfriend showed me a book by Shekinah Mountainwater, and she writes some good stuff dealing with the Goddess; very womyn oriented )
    Last edited by lucidfire; November 29th, 2001 at 04:49 PM.
    "Stupidity often saves one from going mad." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Originally posted by Shy Hawk
    I've subconciously avoided Aleister Crowley so far...I can't help it. I have heard some rather bad things about him. I picked up some sort of book on the "occult" which was printed somewhere in the 50s-60s, and it was very...anti Crowley.
    Anyhow, I know it was biased, it was clearly biased, but I was a little spooked.
    I guess I outta give him a try and not prejudge.
    Nice list people.

I will add:
    Tree Wisdom by Jacqueline Paterson
    Glamoury by Steve Blamires
    i know exactly what you mean. i tend to shy away from crowley myself. what little i've read by him is very interesting in the same way i found anton levey's satanic bible interestisng, but just not for me. those books and paths are very different but i found them both intriquing. i like to read about things i'm not really into just see what there all about.
    Brightest Blessings,
    Angelwulfe

my adopted smilies:
    AIM:leesangel1983
    email:littlegirlmagenta@yahoo.com

Cool

Just a couple I'd like to add...not specifically Wiccan but definitely involved in getting me started on this path and I like them both

The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner...if you don't have a drummer to help you journey, or if you'd rather go yourself Harner has a CD called SHAMANIC JOURNEY SOLO & DOUBLE DRUMMING which is an almost must have companion to the book

Restoring the Goddess: Equal rites for modern women by Barbara G. Walker

Enjoy!
    The Light At The End Of The Tunnel May Be An Oncoming Dragon

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
    -- Carl Zwanzig

Exclamation Books

Just for anyone looking for a varity of books I have a site that I visit regularly and they have a lending library, you choose a book....email them and they will send it to you. Of couse yuo have to return it when your finshed :o)
    www.lifeawakening.org
    Hope this helps!

Foolette

Smile

Merry Meet Everyone!

I am new to this message board so I thought I'd say hello.

I recommend the following books:

Inside A Witch's Coven by Edain McCoy - An excellent book that is well written and discusses topics other than just covens

Witta: An Irish Pagan Tradition by Edain McCoy
    Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner By Scott Cunningham

Blessed

I love "Triumph of the Moon" by Hutton. The only thing I had a problem with is he seems a bit too anxious to want to discover Wicca existed before Gardner. *shrugs*

"The Spiral Dance", "Grandmother of Time", "Holy Book of Women's Mysteries" and "A Witches Bible" were some of my first books. The Farrar's freaked me out at first(psychic attacks!!! lol), Starhawk and Budapest I love for their passion and estatic view of religon but I don't read any of them much anymore, maybe I "outgrew" them. I dunno...

"Shakti Woman" was good if you keep an eye on the history.

"Walking on the Wind" by Michael Garrett and "Selu: Wisdom From The Corn Mother" have had a big effect on me. Good stuff, Garrett leans a little on the New Age side but is pretty solid overall.

I'm waiting for "Old Stones, New Temples" by Drew Campbell to be shipped(arrgghh! Amazon!). Heard lots of good stuff about it, written by a practicing Hellene so it's not about a "dead religon". :D

"On the Edge of Dream" and "Women in Celtic Myth" are some slightly feminist but mostly entertaining retellings of Celtic myths.

I tend to shy away from anything published by Llewellyn, bought too many crappy books from them..
    Inanna
    Evening Star
    Dispenser of Justice when the moon is new
    Unseen Light
    You illuminate the darkness and show the way
    May my heart be filled with wisdom and love
    -Hymn to Inanna

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast