Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading List

Yes, I guess I'll have to get over my phobia and just go!:D
    Hail to the Shnenz... the goddess of the Red Headz, Princess of Perfect Grammar and the SWAT team!

When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize Stitch is my energy.

Visit The Eternal Fyre BB!

ooh, the book I just finished with " The Craft - A Witches Book of Shadows" is pretty good. It's one I know I'll be going back to a lot!
    Hail to the Shnenz... the goddess of the Red Headz, Princess of Perfect Grammar and the SWAT team!

When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize Stitch is my energy.

Visit The Eternal Fyre BB!

Laurie Cabot and Slvia Browne are all my library has. Keep meaning to donate some of my books....
    Inanna
    Evening Star
    Dispenser of Justice when the moon is new
    Unseen Light
    You illuminate the darkness and show the way
    May my heart be filled with wisdom and love
    -Hymn to Inanna

Recommended books

I really enjoyed both of Phyllis Curott's books: Book of Shadows and Witch Crafting. Book of Shadows is the autobiographical account of the author's first year as a Witch: it's beautifully written and it's brilliant to see a book on Wicca that isn't just a how-to guide.

Witch Crafting is more traditional guide to becoming a Witch yourself, but like Book of Shadows is really well written and the exercises in it are inspiringly different to those in a lot of other books.
    Meet Alex and Nicole , my adopted smilies!

'Maybe we could live without passion. But we'd be hollow; empty rooms, shuttered and dark. Without passion, we'd be truly dead.' Angelus

my reccomendations are already on this list so i wont be redundant and repeat them.
    but had to add that my local library sucks....They have a book on tarot, some feng shui (sp?) books, some paranormal books then some vampire/werewolf stories that is their Occult section.....the computers say there are wicca and witchcraftbooks but were checked out and never returned....about 3 years ago!!!!! hmmm go figure!
    Rubi
    I live in my own world..fortunately you all know me here.
    (((Hugs))) & to all

"New Celtic Oracle" by Nigel Pennick and Nigel Jackson

Not sure if these were already mentioned, I was too lazy to read all the posts, LoL! Anyways, these are some of my favorite books:
    -------

"Isis Magic" by M. Isidora Forrest

"Encyclopedia of Native American Shamanism: Sacred Ceremonies of North America" by William S. Lyon

"The Sacred Tradition in Ancient Egypt: The Esoteric Wisdom Revealed" by Rosemary Clark

"Feasts of Light : Celebrations for the Seasons of Life Based on the Egyptian Goddess Mysteries" by Normandi Ellis

--------
    Well, that's all I'm going to list, since I know the other books I was going to name are more than likely already posted.

some of my favourites

I have a confession: I'm a bibliophile. It's a terrible addiction, I know, but I just can't help myself!

That being said, here are a few of my favourites which I'd recommend.

Lon Milo Duquette's "The Magick of Thelema" and "My Life With The Spirits." (Crowley's system presented by a really good modern practitioner who knows how to explain things.)

James R. Lewis (editor) "Magical Religion and Modern Witchcraft." A collection of essays by various people. Scholarly and excellent!

Chic and Sandra Tabatha Cicero (editors) "The Magical Pantheons." Some more really good essays about modern paganism and magickal paths.

R. J. Stewart's books, in particular "Earth Light" and "Power Within the Land."

Nema's "Maat Magick." An introduction to Thelema (Crowley's system) focussing on the Egyptian pantheon. Very straightforward and readable.

And a couple of scholarly historical books documenting paganism of long ago (good to show what ancient paganism and magic involved):
    Walter Burkert's "Greek Religion"
    Hans Dieter Betz (editor) "The Greek Magical Papyri In Translation."

And just for the record, Kaatryn MacMorgan's "All One Wicca" is also available online in a free version at http://www.allonewicca.com/ - look for the link just below the picture of the book. I think I would prefer to read it in printed format, though, so I'm going to wait for a paper copy before I decide to recommend it or not.

Most of the Wiccan authors I usually recommend (Starhawk, the Farrars, Cunningham, Valiente, and Gardner of course) have all been mentioned already by others.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Thumbs up My favorite books

All books by Silver RavenWolf, The Book of Shadows by Phyllis Curott is a great book, Book of Hours by Galen Gillotte in this book it has all kinds of prayers to the Goddess. The Celestine Prophecy is wonderful you won't be able to put the book down. And everyone should have Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft. And a excellent Herbal book for medicine and how to grow them would be The Comp;ete Book Of Herbs by Lesley Bremness.
    http://firebird63.bravepages.com/herbalremedies.html
    Last edited by FireBird; July 22nd, 2002 at 09:52 AM.

Shy Hawk Wrote:

"I've subconciously avoided Aleister Crowley so far...I can't help it. I have heard some rather bad things about him. I picked up some sort of book on the "occult" which was printed somewhere in the 50s-60s, and it was very...anti Crowley."

Yeah, I avoided him for years too because of stuff like that. I'm currently reading "Magick Without Tears" and I'm wondering, why did I ever avoid him? He definitely liked his shock value, calling himself "The Beast 666" and such, but I don't think he was any more "evil" than anybody else....

Also been looking into Thelema a bit.
    Something is happening which is not happening at all.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast