Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading List

strega

Charles Leland's "Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches" is pretty essential in this area.

"Aradia" was one of the first books that represented the survival of witchcraft, even before Gerald Gardner. There are arguments about the legitimacy of all the information that Leland got from his source, and a lot of Wiccans are uncomfortable with the book because the branch of Strega that Leland's initiate belonged to definitely believed in casting curses where they felt it was appropriate.

Regardless, everybody who is at all Pagan or Wiccan needs to read "Aradia," and especially anyone who's studying Italian witchcraft.

Thank you for answering my question. I appreciate it much and I'll be sure to check that book out. Blessed be!
    Stand Tall and Shake The Heavens
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻ Ż

Aradia text online!

If you like, there is a version of Aradia online that you can read for free:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/aradia/index.htm

best fishes,
    Mark

Yeah, I found a site just like that by searching google.com! heh. Thanks very much. If I really like it, I may buy it if I can find it. Thanks much, again!
    Stand Tall and Shake The Heavens
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻ Ż

Phoenix Rising by Mary Summer Rain
    :cool:

Lightbulb Good Reading

A list of good books! :D

Eagle Vision
    Native Wisdom
    Mother Earth Spirituality
    Rainbow Tribe
    Kayhut

Finding Wakan Tanka (Audio Tape)
    Black Elk's Prayer & Vision (Audio Tape)

Four Directions Publishing
    Box 24671
    Minneapolis, MN 55424
    Ph. (952) 922 - 9322
    Fax: (952) 922 - 7163
    E-mail: eagleman4@aol.com

Wicca: AGuide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunninham.

To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf.

Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion by Starhawk.

Earth Power by Scott Cunningham.

The Witches' Goddess by Janet and Stewart Farrar.

The Witches' God by Janet and Stewart Farrar.

Magickal, Mythical, Mystical Beasts: How to Invite Them into Your Life by D.J. Conway.

And this next book is very definatly not for the faint hearted but is very important as part of every witch's education.

The Malleus Maleficarum (The Witch Hammer) by Heinrich Kramer and James Sprenger.
    Originally printed in 1486 it was by this horrid book that witch hunters took their cue and massacred hundreds of thousands of so named witches. Only a small persentage were what we would consider as witches today. This book is not for everyone but it is an important source of information about how far we have come in todays more accepting sociaty and a reminder of what our founders suffered that we may practice openly today.

Paganism
    Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler
    The Pagan Path by Janet & Stewart Farrar and Gavin Bone
    Pagan Paths by Pete Jennings
    The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles by Ronald Hutton

Magick
    Real Magick by Amber K
    Positive Magic by Marion Weinstein
    The Complete Book of Incenses, Oils and Brews by Scott Cunningham
    The Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
    Spells For Teenage Witches by Marina Baker
    Liber Null & Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magick by Peter J Carroll

Wicca and Witchcraft
    Wicca: The Old Religion in the New Millenium by Vivianne Crowley
    Witches Bible Compleat by Janet & Stewart Farrar
    The God of the Witches by Janet & Stewart Farrar
    The Goddess of the Witches by Janet & Stewart Farrar
    Witchcraft Today by Gerald Gardner
    21st Century Wicca by Jennifer Hunter
    Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton
    When, Why... If by Robin Wood
    The Rebirth of Witchcraft by Doreen Valiente
    Witchcraft for Tomorrow by Doreen Valiente
    Wicca - A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham
    Book of Shadows by Phyllis Currott
    The Spiral Dance by Starhawk
    The Twelve Wild Swans by Starhawk
    A Witch Alone by Marian Green
    The Encylopedia of Witches and Witchcraft by Rosemary Ellen Guiley

Celtic
    The Druids by Peter Berresford Ellis
    A Circle of Stones: Journeys and Meditations for Modern Celts by Erynn Rowan Laurie
    Apple Branch by Alexei Kondratiev
    The Encyclopedia of Celtic Wisdom by Caitlin + John Matthews
    The Book of Druidry by Ross Nichols
    Spirits of the Sacred Grove by Emma Restall Orr

Hellenic
    Greek Religion by Walter Burkert
    Old Stones, New Temples by Drew Campbell
    Works and Days by Hesiod
    Theogeny by Hesiod

Roman
    Religions of Rome byMary Beard, John North and Simon Price
    Dictionary of Roman Religion by Lesley & Roy A. Adkins

Norse
    Edda trans. by Anthony Faulkes
    Poetic Edda trans. by Hollander
    Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland
    Rudiments of Runelore by Stephen Pollington
    Teutonic Religion, Teutonic Magic, and Wotan: The Road to Valhalla all by Kveldulfr Gundarsson

(Edited to add books I can't believe I forgot!)
    Last edited by Nyxee; February 26th, 2003 at 05:31 AM.
    "There are only two countries in the world that have not agreed to be bound by the United Nations treaty that protects children's rights, the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

One is Somalia. The other is the USA."
    (source: Amnesty International)

I like books that are well-researched and logical- which unfortunately can be hard to find, especially in Pagan-related topics. Here are a few that I love:

Wiccan Mysteries by Raven Grimassi- I was lucky enough to meet Raven when I lived in San Diego. He's an extremely wise man. His work is thoughtful and represents his commitment to research. This is not exactly a beginning or how-to book, but it's good if you've already read through all the basic books like "Solitary Guide" and are looking for something more.

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler- I noticed a couple of people mentioned this one. In my opinion it is a MUST READ for any pagan- it's one of the most reliable and objective views on the history of Paganism and will give you information that is very helpful for choosing a path that's right for you.

This one is not exactly Pagan but may interest people with Pagan viewpoints:

Warrior Women by Jeannine Davis-Kimball, Ph.D. - This is an amazing book about the roles of women in both ancient and modern nomadic tribes in the Far and Near East. Davis-Kimball is an archaeologist and adds her decades of research and experience to this fascinating topic.

If you are interested in parapsychology or philosophy (or any of the million other topics he writes about) Colin Wilson is an excellent choice! His books are logical, accessible and well-reasearched. Wilson is a breath of fresh air in a genre that is often stiflied by sensationalist "ghost stories".

Those are my reccommendations right now. I'll be honest, I have sooo many books on my shelves that I haven't gotten around to reading yet! Some of them have been mentioned here, so I'll have to get on that! *grin* Just gotta stop myself from buy new ones all the time. And I noticed that burn_my_lovely also mentioned Raven Grimassi and Colin Wilson, so HI!! *waves at burn_my_lovely*

some of my favorite books

I would recommend Hidden Wisdom: A Guide to the Western Inner Traditions by Richard Smoley and Jay Kinney. This book lays out the major western paths, and gives you enough information to get started, such as contacts and other books to read. It also gives you an idea of how much its going to cost to get involved. I wish I had read it years ago. Here's the list it gives for Neo-Paganism:

Margot Adler: Drawing Down the Moon
    Chas Clifton : Witchcraft Today
    Maya Deren: Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti (it talks about the African Syncretic movement as well as Wicca)
    Stewart Farrar: What Witches Do
    Migene Gonzalez-Wippler: Santeria The Religion
    Ellen Evert Hopman and Lawrence Bond : People of the Earth - The New Pagans Speak Out
    Anton Szandor LaVey : The Satanic Bible (I must admit this is a really poor choice, I don't consider Mr. LaVey Neo-Pagan)
    Margaret A. Murray : The God of the Witches
    Starhawk : The Spiral Dance
    Keith Thomas: Religion and the Decline of Magic (witch hunt history)
    Doreen Valiente : Witchcraft for Tomorrow

Now I must be honest the only book on this list I've read is The Satanic Bible. (I skimmed it.) I really want to read The Spiral Dance but all the copies have been stolen from my library and I'm short on fundage.

Other books I've read that no one has mentioned are: The Lemegaton (The first four books of The Lesser Key of Solomon) and The Greater Key of Solomon. Keep in mind that while Gardner's first coven MAY have been of ancient roots, much of Gardners roots come from the Greater Key. This was also translated by Gregor Mathers and just like Abra-melin, keep in mind that the word translation is used VERY loosely. Mol's right not to trust the old bastard. I think he was the guy who forged some of the Inner Order transmissions in the Golden Dawn.

I also like Meetings with Remarkable Men by G.I. Gurdjieff, and Theosophy by Rudolf Steiner. Neither of these is an easy read, Gurdjieff because he's a snake oil salesman, and Steiner because he's got his head in the clouds all the time. But I still like them.

I also like Robert Wang's Qabalistic Tarot, and The Sea Priestess by Dion Fortune. Ahhh Auntie Vi! I think I've mentioned those on another thread.

:oops: I think I went on a bit long.

Tim.
    From the pain come the dreams.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast