86 15.66%
  • Vegetarian but sometimes eat fish

54 9.84%
  • only white meat

70 12.75%
  • Give it to us raw and wriggling- Gollum

302 55.01%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian or Carnivorous (poll)

Well I am an Omnivore but I'd have to say that most of my diet consists of meat. Probably 3/4 of it anyway. I really don't eat enough veggies though. I like to eat a pretty varied diet but unfortunately, I can't always afford Chinese food when I want it or some other type of food that I don't normally eat.

Well despite the unappetizing poll choice allotted to the meat eaters, I picked it anyway.
    History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitefalle
    And veggies are my friends, though I hate brussel sprouts and hominy...hominy is evil and must be destroyed. I love the birds and fish is great.
    What, he asked fearfully, is hominy?

Hoping this doesn't involve grits.
    History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

You need to be careful and to incoropate proteins like fish into a vegitarian diet sometimes, or else it can lead to Jaundice. ( The current Dalai Lama got Jaundice )
    "Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it"
    -The Buddha

"Do not run away; let go. Do not seek, for it will come when least expected."
    Bruce Lee, Tao of Jeet Kune Do

"A great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want."
    Tao Te Ching

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DraconisArcanus
    I love a good burger or steak but have been thinking in recent days I am getting up there in age and maybe I should consider changing my ways. I'm just not sure I could cut it off cold turkey <pun intended>. I love my steak and burgers 'sigh.

Any suggestions?

Peace!
    I read a magazine article that said if you really wanted to go veg, set a date about a month hence. In that month, incorporate a little more of the vegetarian fare each week. It also said, if you still want to eat meat once in awhile, that's okay too, because any change you feel is positive is good enough!

(and no, I'm not a vegetarian....maybe someday!)

I've been vegan for 7 yrs....I actually never intended to be one I just happened to see if I could spend 5 months being one (from new year until my birthday in may-just to prove to myself that I had the determination to so something like that). Iloved the food so much and felt so much healthy (I'd suffered endless stomach upsets for years) I stayed vegan and would never go back to not being one

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    You need to be careful and to incoropate proteins like fish into a vegitarian diet sometimes, or else it can lead to Jaundice. ( The current Dalai Lama got Jaundice )
    Actually, there is no need for you to incorporate any kind of meat product, including fish, into your diet in order to get enough protein. As long as you eat a varied diet (like, not always microwave popcorn for lunch, as I have been known to do), you will get enough protein. If you decide to beome vegan, you may have to supplement, especially since vitamin B12 is found exclusively in animal products...although it is also found in things like fortified breakfast cereals.

The American Dietetic Association has put forth a position paper on vegetarianism. A few tidbits follow:

Protein:
    Although some vegan women have protein intakes that are marginal, typical protein intakes of lacto-ovo-vegetarians and of vegans appear to meet and exceed requirements.

Iron:
    Studies typically show iron intake by vegans to be higher than that of lacto-ovo-vegetarians and of nonvegetarians, and most studies show iron intake by lacto-ovo-vegetarians to be higher than that of nonvegetarians.

B-12:
    Unless fortified, no plant food contains significant amounts of active vitamin B-12. Foods such as sea vegetables and spirulina may contain vitamin B-12 analogs; neither these nor fermented soy products can be counted on as reliable sources of active vitamin B-12. Lacto-ovo-vegetarians can get adequate vitamin B-12 from dairy foods and eggs if these foods are consumed regularly.

Well, just thought I would step in for a minute on that one, sorry. *dusts off little soapbox and stores it in the closet for the next person to use* :D
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

Quote Originally Posted by mudweed
    Actually, there is no need for you to incorporate any kind of meat product, including fish, into your diet in order to get enough protein. As long as you eat a varied diet (like, not always microwave popcorn for lunch, as I have been known to do), you will get enough protein. If you decide to beome vegan, you may have to supplement, especially since vitamin B12 is found exclusively in animal products...although it is also found in things like fortified breakfast cereals.

*dusts off little soapbox and stores it in the closet for the next person to use* :D
    I won't get on the soapbox, just wanted to say I concur - don't believe the protein myth.

And I'm not even going to get started on the low carb craze...

... southwestern NY ~~ I'm just a traveler on the Way
    I don't know about the low-carb "craze" -- now that there are more and more "carb-friendly" foods available (some) people think they can eat as much as they want of anything they want as long as it's "low carb." Balance, my friends, balance.

I've lost 40 lbs in the last ten months by eating low-carb and I feel much better for it. I was quite the sugar junkie, not a healthful diet. Now, I'd rather eat fresh broccoli with butter and fresh lemon juice for my carbs than a cookie... which in my case tended to be a pound of cookies...

I definitely eat a lot of meat -- eggs -- cheese -- cream in my coffee. I avoid sugar like the plague, and refined flour whenever possible. Fortunately, I love the 'good for you' stuff.

My sister married a vegetarian and converted. Her two kids have been raised vegetarian and are beautiful, healthy, and bright.

........... ......
    Light be ever on your Path!

Shadowolff ..... ~~ [Ema's daughter ] ~~ ..... Tate' ekta i'ye ite'
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. --Leonard Cohen

I only eat fish. No meats for me.
    I refuse to pay for the trade in meat here. It's appaling
    Eiris sazun idisi
    sazun hera duoder.
    suma hapt heptidun,
    suma heri lezidun,
    suma clubodun
    umbi cuoniouuidi:
    insprinc haptbandun,
    inuar uigandun.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast