86 15.66%
  • Vegetarian but sometimes eat fish

54 9.84%
  • only white meat

70 12.75%
  • Give it to us raw and wriggling- Gollum

302 55.01%
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian or Carnivorous (poll)

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Monk ~
    I won't get on the soapbox, just wanted to say I concur - don't believe the protein myth.

And I'm not even going to get started on the low carb craze...
    So, you post to say you aren't going to say anything, then make two statements without any backup in passing? Ten out of ten for rhetorical technique but zero out of ten for content.
    History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantonos
    So, you post to say you aren't going to say anything, then make two statements without any backup in passing? Ten out of ten for rhetorical technique but zero out of ten for content.
    I've written all I have to say about the subject in the past, my friend, and have neither the desire nor energy to repeat myself in detail. Do a search if you're really curious.

Nice to meet you, by the way. I'll be sure to check with you in the future when I need to know my scores for technique and content.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Monk ~
    I've written all I have to say about the subject in the past,
    A quick pointer would have been useful, then, if a summary was too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantonos
    I think that was because on the protein count, my post directly preceding contained quite a bit of info. It would have been dreadfully redundant for ~monk~ to repeat it all!

As for the other, I believe it was a statement of opinion.

Perhaps you needed a pointer on some other topic? Because I'm sure one of us could help if you can't find the information you were seeking.
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

Quote Originally Posted by mudweed
    I think that was because on the protein count, my post directly preceding contained quite a bit of info. It would have been dreadfully redundant for ~monk~ to repeat it all!
    Your information was on-topic, relevant to the original question, and backed up with sources. I had already read it, and it was good. It covered whether adequate protein can be obtained from plants (it can, with care over amino acid balance)

I didn't see that ~monk~ was really responding to what you had said, it seemed more about high/low carb or high/low protein diets not sources for protein.

As for the other, I believe it was a statement of opinion.
    Perhaps. It came across as 'here is a jibe and I am not going to discuss it' and I tend not to be over impressed by that 'drive-by shooting' style of debate. Its too often the refuge of those who can't argue their case based on facts and so stick to ridicule.

~monk~ then posted that there were older threads that contained a lot of info -I hadn't seen those, but was glad to hear that a case had been made somewhere . A pointer would have been nice, rather than assuming everyone had read them.

Perhaps you needed a pointer on some other topic? Because I'm sure one of us could help if you can't find the information you were seeking.
    Thanks - I happen to already know a fair bit about general nutrition (my first degree was in biochemistry) and about the hi/lo protein/carb debate (my partner runs a Pagan LoCarb list). It was more a plea for postings to have a factual basis than a request for specific information. But I will be sure to ask you if I need further data, thanks for the kind offer.

Omnivore... how come that wasn't an option?
    I am starting to become sick of meats though. I need to find some good veggie recipes to kick things up a knotch
    Erin

Omnivore.

I have seen many of these polls on different boards and for some reason they never mention omnivore.

"It's sad, but the average American would not know how to question authority if it were on the other end of a knock knock joke."

Paul Gilmartin

"The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever."

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

I think omnivore is sort of implied by the meat eating option in most polls, since there are very few people who are solely carnivorous.
    ~mudweed~
    If you wish to know the divine, feel the wind on your face and the warm sun on your hand.
    the Buddha

mudweed is

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha

Hehe, yeah but there are some who come very close!

"It's sad, but the average American would not know how to question authority if it were on the other end of a knock knock joke."

Paul Gilmartin

"The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever."

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    You need to be careful and to incoropate proteins like fish into a vegitarian diet sometimes, or else it can lead to Jaundice. ( The current Dalai Lama got Jaundice )
    The current Dali Lama also happens to eat meat.
    And last I checked jaundice wasn't caused by a lack of protein in the diet. It's usually caused by difficulties with the liver, often associated with toxicity from drug use (either pharmacological or illegal), or hepatitis. Malaria can cause jaundice as can pancreatic cancer or gallstones.

There are a small percentage of people out there who are so anemic that eating meat is not an option. However, it's a very tiny group. The rest of us need to just suck it up and admit that eating meat is a choice and a habit from the last two generations or so.

*shrugs* I have no problem with that. I make a choice to eat meat, if people want to try and turn that into me being a bad person, whatever.
    Oh Noz Oppression!
    Because life is so much more exciting when you're being persecuted.

Easy English Grammar Lesson:

Your - the possessive form of you

You're - a contraction of "you are"

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast