Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wicca Cookbook

Wicca Cookbook

MM, all!
    Is anyone here familiar with Wicca Cookbook: Recipes, Ritual and Lore by Jamie Wood and Tara Seefeldt? It's a 2000 imprint from Celestial Arts press. I picked it up yesterday at the public library, and it looks quite interesting.

Medieval cooking is highly referenced in the recipes. In the beginning of the book, the authors give a detailed, well researched essay about medieval life, mainly the life in the kitchen. They claim "The Middle Ages was a transitional time when the Old Ways were slipping into disuse and going underground as Christianity rose in power and popularity. Still, the old and the new ways coexisted...Many people held on strongly to their adherence of the Old Ways and reverence for the Goddess"

It seems that the authors are particularly interested in this time period, and, also, many written accounts still remain from medieval times. Historian have access to old recipes, many of which are for tonics, teas and other healing aids.

The recipes are divided into chapters, one for each holiday, starting with Imbolc, moving through the solstices, equinoxes and all that's in between.

The recipes and rituals look wonderful and interesting. I'll have to let you know more when I've had the time to read and experiment in the kitchen!

Time flies... whether you're having fun or not

Sounds like something I'd find interesting and useful. Thanks, adding it to my wishlist.
    Anyone want to add to my bank account though?:D
    Organized religion is akin to wearing shoes while walking through a grassy meadow... safer, but the experience is much diminished.

Originally posted by Spirahl
    Sounds like something I'd find interesting and useful. Thanks, adding it to my wishlist.
    Anyone want to add to my bank account though?:D
    lol :D

book sounds cool

That sounds cool :cool: I have the Kitchen Witch's Cookbook and have Cooking Like A Goddess on my ever-growing wish list and now I have to add this one I think!
    Is it very "Wiccan?" I am not Wiccan myself, but learning in more of a Wiccan based Kitchen/Green witch way.

Thanks!

Chris

MM,
    The background info is very broad info that includes Goddess based religion. I haven't read it in it's entirety, but it seems that the authors give all of this background info, concentrating on medieval times, and explain that what they've just said is some of what Wicca is based on, or that that's what Wicca always has been, but it wasn't always called Wicca.

The recipes are great, and the ritual and craft ideas throughout the book can, of course, be changed to suit needs. I would say that someone who isn't necessarily Wiccan would appreciate this book. I do, and I'm not necessarily Wiccan!

Thanks for the info Niamh. Just adding that to my enormous lists of books I want.

I need to stop being broke! Or am I broke from all of the books I am buying?

:D

Chris

"The Middle Ages was a transitional time when the Old Ways were slipping into disuse and going underground as Christianity rose in power and popularity. Still, the old and the new ways coexisted...Many people held on strongly to their adherence of the Old Ways and reverence for the Goddess"
    Just what I need, another cookbook!

Although the book sounds very interesting, that statement above is not historicall correct

for more info, check out Tim Hutton's Triumph of the Moon

Cheers
    Xois

Xois,
    Just out of curiosity, which part of the quote are you speaking of? It's not something I've read much about, and have had my doubts about the Christians and pagans "coexisting."
    Thanks!

Hmm...yes Gods know I could use a cookbook...hmmm....sounds like good fun.

The book Lammas also has a pretty thick recipe section, for those interested. Though, it centers on the foods for just Lammas and the season surrounding it.
    "Warriorship is a profession of courage, a calling to valor - not just on the battlefield, but in all of life’s conflicts."
    "If there is any hope for the future, it surely must rest upon the ability to stare unflinchingly into the heart of darkness."
    "The gentleman desires to be halting in speech but quick in action."
    "Do right, fear no man."
    "Men whose acts are at variance with their words command no respect, and what they say has but little weight."
    "Lying is done with words and also with silence."
    "If you stand straight, do not fear a crooked shadow."
    "A man does not extricate himself from difficulty at the expense of his associates."
    "If the enemy leaves a door open, you must rush in."
    "I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
    "If he is willing to kill, then he must be prepared to die. It is only right."
    >>>Yah ta hey! Hoka hey!<<<

i also checked it out at the library. believe it or not, it their only wiccan book in the place. sad, i know. but at least they have ONE....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast