Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what dose the pentacle stand for and mean

what dose the pentacle stand for and mean

I was just wondering if any one had any info on on the pentacle and what it means and stands for and any other info on pentacles?
    Last edited by Kaylara; June 14th, 2004 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

hey i have a great article on the pentagram or pentacle umm if you wanna read it just email me back and i'll send it to you
    You know those people who can predict when change is coming in their life?
    I'm not one of them. Change has a way of just walking up and punching me in the face.
    -Veronica Mars

[my myspace] [My Pagan Website] [My Website]

It actually represents numerous things, some people acknowledge all meanings, others focus on specifically one one or a few. Just so we're clear, the pentacle is the pentagram encased in a circle. Many people interchange the two feeling they are both the same, and I'm sure if you do your research you'll find those who swear that they are and that they aren't.

The five points of the pentagram represent the five elements: Spirit, Air, Water, Fire, Earth, with Spirit being at the top-most point, Air and Water being at the next two, and Fire and Earth usually represented by the two lowest points. Encased in the circle (thus making it the pentacle) this represents how all things are interconnected. In an upright position it symbolizes spirit over matter. In an inverted position as the Satanists so often wear it this represents the carnal nature (represented by Fire and Earth at times) over the spirit. While the upright position is often considered 'less evil' in the majority of people's eyes of those who are ill informed, neither truly represent evil, and in the latter case of it being inverted it often represents the second degree in many Wiccan traditions which reflects looking inward and self-control a lot of the time.

It also has two other representations. The macrocosm, or the world around us, and the microcosm, the world within each of us, with the circle representing how everything in the macrocosm or microcosm is connected, and even how the two are interconnected. This often ties in with the representation of the human body, the top point representing our head, the next two our arms outstretched, and the bottom two our legs.

This is really only the beginning, however, in my opinion. The more time you spend studying the pentagram/pentacle the more you will find in it, which often you will not find these references in books or online since they are extremely personal and vary so much from individual to individual.
    Last edited by Aidron; June 16th, 2004 at 05:37 AM. Reason: I was half-asleep when I originally wrote this, god talk about butchered grammar

That's its modern meaning, yes.
    But I hear it's originally of the Quabbala, so you might want to look into what it means in that :D

Quote Originally Posted by macha
    That's its modern meaning, yes.
    But I hear it's originally of the Quabbala, so you might want to look into what it means in that :D

I've heard that, but to be quite honest I don't find it very plausible, but that is in part a matter of my own bias based on my experiences with the Quabbala.

is offline I want to know what you really mean...
    okay....i looked at all the sites and links and such, and i couln't find what colors(if any) represent each element. i don't know if there ARE specific colors that represent each point/element, but if there are, does anyone know them??? and can you please PM me the answer?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europe vincendarum.

Like my avatar? Check out www.prguitarman.com

My goodness, this is quite the resurrected thread! I believe that it's green for the North, yellow for East, red for South and blue for the West. I could be wrong though...

Isn't it...

White for Spirit (Top)
    Yellow for Air
    Green for Earth
    Red for Fire
    Blue for Water

At least that's what I was taught...
    WitchCraftWeaver [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THE EXPLANATION OF ANY PHENOMENON SHOULD MAKE AS FEW ASSUMPTIONS AS POSSIBLE, ELIMINATING THOSE THAT MAKE NO DIFFERENCE IN THE OBSERVABLE PREDICTIONS OF THE EXPLANATORY HYPOTHESIS OR THEORY
    (Translation for those of you NOT paying attention - "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best.") William of Ockham (Occam's Razor)

Quote Originally Posted by StargazerJMK
    Isn't it...

White for Spirit (Top)
    Yellow for Air
    Green for Earth
    Red for Fire
    Blue for Water

At least that's what I was taught...
    That's most common, yes.

(Wow... we're reviving old threads again. )
    Ancora Imparo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast