Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone attended Sacred Mists?

Has anyone attended Sacred Mists?

Okay, I was wondering if anyone has ever attending this online school.

The College of The Sacred Mists

If anyone out there has attending this school, tell me: was it any good? Is it worth the money? Is there a better school out there?

I have just finished university, and I am now trying to enlighten my spiritual side which has been neglected for my whole school career. However, I am having trouble with this Wiccan Way of self education. I guess I have spent too many years in a structured learning environment. I need to be assigned homework, which will be graded, to know if I am on the right track, and not just making stuff up!

I'm really good at research, I have a real knack for it, I've had to develop over the years for school. But I can't search if I don't know what I am looking for!! There is so much good information out there, and then a LOT of bad. I am not interested in being a fluff bunny. And even if in the end I am just full of useless information, I'd rather that than be full of empty information.

I like this message board. A LOT the people here have really helped me, and I have found plenty of good links. However, this is too slow going for me, sorting through links.

I need to start Wicca 101, my leanings are Pagan: Norse and Celtic.

If anyone can help me get started, advice, links, reading lists, person experience stories, THEY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    :hearthear :heyalove: :smoochypo

There is so much info out there, and I can't seem to find it. I'm starting to feel a bit lost, and very frustrated.
    Last edited by Swifthollow_Poe; July 10th, 2004 at 01:59 AM.

"College of the Sacred Mist Online School of Wicca" is not a site I had seen before, so thank you for sharing it.

This site set off several alarm bells:

First thing on the site is the attractive "earn your HP/HPS Status!"

*NO* information explaining the tradition. Just that you can become a priest/ess.

Classes seem to cover the basics, but again, the list itself diesn't seem to present a coherent tradition. Of course, this can be hard to tell without the actual text.

After reviewing the site, there are some things that bother me: enrollment fee of $25 and a monthly fee of $20.

How is this college run? Is it incorporated, with tax exempt status? Is this organization open so you can see the books and know that indeed the funds do go to cover their expenses? (In other words, is this college a scam to gain money from unsuspecting students?)

Is there a ruling council that makes decisions on initiations/elevations or are these left up to the sole decision of the instructor? What about a process for filing grievances?

*Who* are the instructors? Lady Raven Moonshadow is the only instructor mentioned. What are *her* credentials to teach? What is her background? Has she been studying under someone else or is she self taught? (No problem either way -- it's just good to know.) If she has been properly initiated, which tradition did she study under and can you verify her credentials? If she refuses to provide verification of initiation (if she is lineaged, only) then be very wary.

The FAQ has three questions about payment, but nothing about the college's faculty.

Class topics: First degree course is a little light. Here are two sites that list different training requirements for first degree: Intertradition Guidelines (http://northwind.faithweb.com/guides.htm). Also (as a means for comparision) here are the First Degree classes from my tradition: http://northwind.faithweb.com/firstd...classlist.html (please note that this list does not include additional assignment, homework, and required chats/rituals).

Does the college offer ordination as part of the priest/ess path of study? If so, how are they offering that ordination? Through Universal Life Chruch? Or do they have Church status?

My gut reaction would be to stay away from this site. It is obvious that a lot of time and planning has gone into the site. If you are really curious, see if you can audit an online chat or two to get a flavor for class size and the teaching style.

More responses after a bit...

Ceffyl
    Last edited by Ceffyl; July 10th, 2004 at 06:39 AM.
    "Here cold water babbles through apple branches, and roses keep the whole place in shadow, and from the quivering leaves a trance of slumber falls; here a meadow, where horses pasture, blooms with flowers of spring, and the breezes gently blow." ~Sappho
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~ Arabian proverb
    ~EPONA.net~ A Scholarly Resource: Archaeology and History of Epona
    Peoples Against Bad History

Getting started with Wicca 101...

Have you considered Mystic Wick's Teaching Circle? There are plenty of excellent teachers, a great community, plus it is *free*!

It might be a good place to start your studies, learn more, and maybe after that consider looking for a formal teacher.

Blessings,

Ceffyl
    "Here cold water babbles through apple branches, and roses keep the whole place in shadow, and from the quivering leaves a trance of slumber falls; here a meadow, where horses pasture, blooms with flowers of spring, and the breezes gently blow." ~Sappho
    "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." ~ Arabian proverb
    ~EPONA.net~ A Scholarly Resource: Archaeology and History of Epona
    Peoples Against Bad History

Quote Originally Posted by Ceffyl
    Classes seem to cover the basics, but again, the list itself doesnít seem to present a coherent tradition. Of course, this can be hard to tell without the actual text.
    Class topics: First degree course is a little light. Here are two sites that list different training requirements for first degree: Intertradition Guidelines (http://northwind.faithweb.com/guides.htm). Also (as a means for comparison) here are the First Degree classes from my tradition: http://northwind.faithweb.com/firstd...classlist.html (please note that this list does not include additional assignment, homework, and required chats/rituals).
    My gut reaction would be to stay away from this site. It is obvious that a lot of time and planning has gone into the site. If you are really curious, see if you can audit an online chat or two to get a flavour for class size and the teaching style.
    Its hard to tell, I agree. But I'm so new at this, I have no idea WHAT to look for, what is a full curriculum? What is one lacking. So any help in knowing what is expected of me to learn is very helpful. Thanks for you opinion, it really means a lot to me

After reviewing the site, there are some things that bother me: enrolment fee of $25 and a monthly fee of $20.

How is this college run? Is it incorporated, with tax exempt status? Is this organization open so you can see the books and know that indeed the funds do go to cover their expenses? (In other words, is this college a scam to gain money from unsuspecting students?)
    Money wouldn't be a problem. If paying for my studies meant I would be able to get a more intense study, it wouldn't matter. At the same time, I don't want to get scammed. I could use that money on books instead.

Is there a ruling council that makes decisions on initiations/elevations or are these left up to the sole decision of the instructor? What about a process for filing grievances?

*Who* are the instructors? Lady Raven Moonshadow is the only instructor mentioned. What are *her* credentials to teach? What is her background? Has she been studying under someone else or is she self taught? (No problem either way -- it's just good to know.) If she has been properly initiated, which tradition did she study under and can you verify her credentials? If she refuses to provide verification of initiation (if she is lineage, only) then be very wary.
    Good question, I hadn't noticed that before. I think I will write her, just because I am curious to know what her explanation will be.

First thing on the site is the attractive "earn your HP/HPS Status!"

*NO* information explaining the tradition. Just that you can become a priest/ess.
    Ö.

Does the college offer ordination as part of the priest/ess path of study? If so, how are they offering that ordination? Through Universal Life Church? Or do they have Church status?
    When I first saw the site, and read you could become a priest or priestess, I couldn't help but giggle. I had a university teacher of religious studies who claimed to be a Wiccan (or pagan, I can't remember) High Priestess. I found her to be ridiculous, both in her general knowledge of the class she taught (I have no idea how she got the job) and the way she presented herself. I just can't take that term seriously. Besides I think it degrades the title if it could just be handed out for a years study at an online course. It sort of spits in the face of all those who have studied long at their covens, or even on a different level with the same word, to Christians, who's priests have gone through years of dedicated study.
    I'm not interested in being a 'priestess' I would just like to stay away from that word altogether. I understand and like the concept of being able to communicate with your gods, standing before them level. But anyone and their familiar can call themselves a Priestess, so what does the word mean anymore? It just seems too much to be a word used to elevate oneself. If you are able to communicate to your god(s) at the same level, why would you need a fancy-smancy title?
    Sorry, rant over : )

Getting started with Wicca 101...

Have you considered Mystic Wick's Teaching Circle? There are plenty of excellent teachers, a great community, plus it is *free*!

It might be a good place to start your studies, learn more, and maybe after that consider looking for a formal teacher.
    I have considered it. Browsed through. There is so much combined information there, Iíve very impressed. The problem I have this it is that it is on a message board. Things are constantly moving about, and I am finding it extremely difficult to navigate through the threads and boards for an education.

Thank you so much, you have been very helpful!

I am a former student at Sacred Mists and all I can say is "Run Forest Run!"

1. There are no "classes" per se. There are lessons that you read and are expected to do additional research through books (which can be conveniently purchased at the Sacred Mists Shoppe for a premium!) Lady Raven does not even grade the homework herself, nor does she present anything at the bi-monthly study circles. Instead, other students and members of the Student Council grade "homework".

I completed the First Degree with them, and if you can stand the typos and grammatical errors, more power to you.

2. It's expensive - when you consider that 95% of the school information is archived on MSN Groups - a free service. Save your money and buy a book - at least its been properly edited.

3. The place is chock full of fluffy bunnies with emotional problems. Do you really want to be initiated into a coven with people who really have no business practicing magick?

4. If you read the Advanced Bonewits Cult Danger Evaluation Frame in the context of this "school", every red flag and warning siren goes off.

5. If you do a search for a post to a blog entitled "Unscrupulous Pagans" by a guy named Juvenall, you will note that several people have some legitimate questions that go unanswered by Lady Raven and others who claim allegiance to the school. Furthermore, there is some proof that the schools' lesson plan is free information - copied, repackaged and sold to the naive for a great deal of money.

Please, do yourself a favor, don't end up like me - out hundreds of dollars - and stay away.

Zerynthia

you said you were leaning pagan and celtic, are you sure it's even wicca your after, they do have priestess titles when earned.

I would start more with whats free and available untill you know what you want.

There is the Wiccan Church in Toronto, if wiccan is what your looking for. Also if a coven is near you I would think studies with a person might prove benficial, so you can not only read but see what they do aand what their dynamics are like ?

There is a Wiccan priestess who is quite reputable who Teaches through the carelton University in Ottawa. She does not teach wicca but religious studies. I hope you don't mean her, because she's very educated, smart and experienced. Crazy humour but very very smart.
    Last edited by Tullip Troll; September 17th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"
    The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground."- Unknown

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
    Gerry Spence

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Lewis Carroll

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to put in my two cents worth. I was a Sacred Mysts student for the better part of a year, four years ago. I was there primarily in support of a friend. I agree with the assessment that the "lessons" were nothing that you couldn't find anywhere on the web or in existing publications. I was also given the understanding that some of it was plagerized. The lessons consisted of several pages of reading, again, stuff you could have gotten out of any good book on the subjest, then a handful of questions about what you read. Really pretty useless.

But here's the real bee in my bonnet: At the time I was a student there I was told there were roughly one thousand students of the school. The tuition for Sacred Mysts at the time was $20.00 per month; do the math! For twenty thousand dollars a month you would think they could have come up with a really first rate program. As soon as I did the math I dropped that program in utter disgust.

- Owen

Well hey there Owen.

Welcome to Mw.

Dont be once bitten twice shy. The teachings here are free and also some great discussions to be had.

hope you stay around and see for yourself.
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

Thanks for the welcome. I'll stay around and check it out!

Sacred Mists

I attended Sacred Mists when it was under the old name...I was a student there for about three months, and it did not feel right to me...so left. Since then I have seen on the web, that it does not have a good reputation at all...and there were rumors that most of what was being taught was plagerised from other sources.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast