Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone attended Sacred Mists?

I was a member of Sacred Mists for a little over two years, where I earned first and second degrees (I am also Pathworker and co-founder of the Book of Spirals coven, which is where most of my real magical education comes from). I conducted many rituals and classes at the Mists; I was also a board facilitator and psychic reader with that program. I loved the people and many aspects of that community.

However, roughly a year-and-a-half after I started there, I met with Lorien Carrillo (who calls herself Lady Raven Moonshadow - the director and "arch-priestess" of the school). From the first time I called her, I could see she and I weren't going to get along.

It was at that point that Ms. Carrillo began to ridicule me for several things. She made fun of me for being poor (she makes beaucoup bucks and can't stand those who don't agree that capitalism is the best path for economic systems). She also told me that I had to hide my intelligence so other people wouldn't be intimidated and that I was never allowed to question the curriculum - I just had to learn it by rote. She said that questioning my education was "learning by the rub" and that she wouldn't stand for it. She also ridiculed me for being self-initiated in my home coven - apparently she doesn't believe only the gods can initiate someone, but that another human has to officiate). Then she wanted to hire me to teach professional classes at Sacred Mists (but didn't want to draw up a contract, so I'm not sure if I would ever have been paid). Then I started having doubts about her leadership abilities (as well as my own in that climate) and withdrew from the third degree entrance exam. That really set her off. As my punishment, she told me I wasn't allowed to teach there for pay any more (she was still more than willing to have my services for free - actually at cost to me since I was paying tuition almost the whole time I was there). Then we moved to a new home, and I couldn't afford the tuition for a brief period. From the moment I went on "scholarship", I started getting harassing letters and Ms. Carrillo started using my lack of funds to manipulate me - trying to get me to follow her orders and join the censorship network that runs throughout Sacred Mists. I got sick of being treated this way and left. It's unfortunate because I feel I could have really been a benefit to even more people at the Mists, but Ms. Carrillo didn't seem to care about that.

In short, I found the community to contain a number of wonderful people, but I found Ms. Carrillo to be both charismatic and manipulative - which I feel is a dangerous combination. This was affirmed shortly after I left when someone at the Mists volunteered on another website that she was the coven's secret administrator and that she was privy to all our confidential information (including addresses, paypal information, etc.). I highly recommend that you avoid this school, which is sad because there are so many nice people there. But it only takes one person's power trip to ruin a whole community, and Ms. Carrillo - in my opinion - is always ready to stamp down those who would question her methods.

More recently, I've noticed that Ms. Carrillo is trying to put out a statement about her credentials - something she refused to do for many years. I just have a few questions about this statement (it's the same, and you'll find it many places about the net). Ms. Carrillo admits she was ordained by someone not fit to meet the responsibilities of leadership, so I don't even have to ask about that. But I would like to know: Why did Ms. Carrillo only post this statement in forums where it can't be questioned? Why does Ms. Carrillo say she's an arch-priestess who has started five separate covens when there seens to be no trace of these other covens? Was this just window-dressing for her website? And why is Ms. Carrillo so close-mouthed about her education (finally giving a pseudonym for the person who allegedly ordained her, but no other method of contact)? Could it be that the person who allegedly ordained her is now embarrassed of Ms. Carrillo and won't acknowledge her? This statement of Ms. Carrillo's refuses to answer many more questions than it answers.

I'd also like to finally know the truth about Ms. Carrillo's funds. She told me she only makes $34,000 a year from the Mists and that her husband "only" makes $100,000 a year. But she also told me that she pays at least $120,000 a year for Sacred Mists advertising. Ms. Carrillo was very adamant to me that she would never lead a life without luxuries - and I know she lives in a very posh area of California - so where is her other money coming from? Is she still working for Microsoft Business Solutions, Boeing, AltaVista, Wells Fargo banks or one of the other multi-million dollar corporations listed on her resume? Unless Lorien Carrillo decides to start being honest with people, we may never know.

Sorry to be on the soap box so long, but I really want people to know what type of "leadership" is going on a Sacred Mists. To anyone who bothers to read this statement, I thank you for your time.

Blessings,
    Scott H.

Woops - I wanted to mention one last thing because I see that an earlier responder wanted to know about the shop at Sacred Mists. I, and numerous others that I know, tried to buy things there. The customer service was non-existent (I never once got an answer, even as a member of the school). The selection looks good, but many, many items are constantly out of stock. Also, I looked up some of the items in a Kheops wholesale catalog at one point. I just did a random sample of eight items, but the minimum mark-up was 300% (and that's the price before shipping). I recommend you shop elsewhere.

-S.H.

Here is a website where some of the members of Sacred Mists leadership incriminate themselves:

http://www.juvenall.com/?s=sacred+mists

I'm glad to see the truth is being spoken about the Sacred Mists "coven".
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

My website: http://www.bookofspirals.com
    My blog: http://www.bookofspirals.com/blog
    An ezine I co-founded: http://spiraltree.weebly.com

is offline used to roll my eyes at people like me
    I have seen this blog and I know Sacred Mists, as well as other teaching sites available. I will say again that you get what you put into such places. I know people who have blossomed there (and I know people who have blossomed at other sites as well), and I know people who have decided to move on.

If there are things going on there that are illegal, I don't think that Sacred Mists would still be there. And I certainly can vouch for the amount of time that I put into the furtherance of my own path and the few posts that I put out there on the internet. I can't imagine what the pressures must be on someone who is the "go to" person for a website focusing on Wicca, which is one of the most rapidly growing spiritual paths in the world. If I was running that website, or any teaching website for that matter, I would need to quit my job in order to keep it up and running. I would need to charge for my services as well, at least to cover the funds that I would have to lay out.

I admit, I am playing devil's advocate here. And Scott, you obviously were not happy with your experiences there;I read your posts on the blog. I am sure that there are those who are not happy with their experiences here at MysticWicks, although this seems to me to be a great place where each of us can feel free to post our thoughts. I have not been here long enough to know for sure, but I would guess that MW is still here because of that, because even though some have unhappy experiences, overall something positive is being offered. Maybe Sacred Mists is the same?

Hi Sparkles,

Actually, I appreciate your input. I'm not asking for wholesale condemnation of Sacred Mists; I'm asking for people to realistically investigate it and see what they think. That means one of the best things I can do is bring the debate to public posts. There are some great people at Sacred Mists. And one of the reasons I am so adamant about telling the truth about this "coven" is that I don't want those people to be hurt.

You assume that Sacred Mists wouldn't still be around if it were doing something illegal. Why is that? Many people in positions of power the world over abuse the laws and no one does anything. Just look at Hitler, George W. Bush, Rex Tillerson, Martha Stewart.... I could type all day. Do they care what the law says? Do law enforcers always catch the criminals, even when the crimes are blatant?

Yes, there are enormous pressures on Lorien Carrillo - your "go to" person for Sacred Mists. Perhaps that's why she told me just over a year ago that she couldn't go on with the college without further hospitalization for mental illness. So, you see, Ms. Carrillo is actually one of the people I'm concerned about when I post about Sacred Mists. Now, there's nothing wrong with this in and of itself; I have also had problems with mental illness in the past. That's why I made sure to ameliorate those problems before I began down a path that involved teaching others. But Ms. Carrillo seems to see money and social power as an "arch-priestess" as so important that she will even neglect herself and those closest to her. That can't be good for anyone involved with her program.

Yes, I'm sure some people aren't happy with their Mystic Wicks experience. However, there are some major differences between Mystic Wicks and Sacred Mists that affect the status of people who are disgruntled.

First, Sacred Mists' leadership try to keep you from knowing anything about the program until you are already hooked. Or they lie about the program as student council member Shauni did to me when I first was interested in the college. I asked her if I was allowed to question the program I would be working in, and she falsely assured me I would. Later, Lorien Carrillo told me that I wasn't allowed to question anything about "her" curriculum. Contrarily, Mystic Wicks' posts - and other kinds of information - are available to non-subscribers.

Second, Ms. Carrillo charges for Sacred Mists services while Mystic Wicks only asks for donations. Yes, Mystic Wicks does have an area where you can buy merchandise, too, but there is a difference. At Sacred Mists, the lessons and the community pressure you into using their Shoppe. I've never encountered such pressure at Mystic Wicks.

Third, Mystic Wicks presents a clear set of guidelines explaining what posts may be censored. Ironically, they are still less likely to censor posts than Sacred Mists; at the same time, Sacred Mists has a much stricter censorship policy, but it's not available to its students (unless there has been radical change since I was there).

Fourth, Sacred Mists has leaked my personal information - and the personal information of others - through various websites, IMs, phone conversations, etc. I believe Mystic Wicks has never done so. I'm the one who chose to call myself "Scott Hill" here at MW because I was so frustrated with pseudonyms at Sacred Mists. One of the ways Lorien Carrillo escaped scrutiny was to hide behind a false appellation. This would possibly be acceptable if these Sacred Mists names were actually magical names, but they are used for EVERYTHING - including the most mundane activities - at the Mists. They're just masks.

To me, these points present some of the biggest and most important differences between the two communities.

Again, I so appreciate your willingness to debate this topic. If Sacred Mists allowed debates like these, it would be a much better community.
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

holy fog
    by Scott Hill (copyright May 2009)
    Here I was.
    Like the kid who really believes
    in his little orphan annie ring.
    Knowing some of the rules
    would have to be suspended.
    I hadn't consciously acknowledged
    my legendary lack of tact.

There I was.
    And I started playing the crusader to that
    founder/princess/sorority sister
    Arch-Lady in the sky we all paid unconscious homage to
    "If only... her" they scrawled in awe in diaries
    while she bit her fingernails in the shadows.
    She was priestess of the pursestrings
    and more, where more meant little.

I could climb those ranks, yes,
    but no one saw that my feet - if nothing else -
    were planted in soil, not on rungs.
    I wrote, "In this circle I am safe".
    I should have known, but didn't know,
    I was eating a pomegranate seed.
    I believed it, yes, oh yes, and it's true,
    but a truth in shadow that
    I will never know the same way twice.

My mother's favorite weapon, charity
    was bobbing in the cauldron, wasn't it?
    And the council of fluff was chanting
    let.it.go while drinking fairy ale
    and impersonating the Romany on six figures
    and saying, "It was our spell that did it,
    yeah girl, I patriarched his ass!"
    A spell like a cunningly hidden wardrobe
    with a pretty obvious knob.
    But nothing holy ever came of it.

In her last life, this princess
    was administrator to the inquisition -
    a recorder of names as curses
    who now curses me with my name.
    And now there is something less of me
    but a better less
    because Tyr took me out of the temple
    where the comeliest fairy gets the shiniest whip

and gave me into the care of Odin
    where a new student at the fog
    earned my respect and my worry with a question.
    If he wants so much to believe,
    why can't I just let him believe?
    But how can you believe in garlands
    that lie dead upon the earth?

ButterflyDissected, you know a name.
    A key that only someone not you
    would turn. Be not tempted.
    You've seen where I worship
    from over the hills.
    You've been told it has a price,
    but it has none.

WaveDancer, you broke a trust,
    but earned a greater trust
    that maybe we'll know
    in future lives. Be not shy.
    Don't just let the waves wash over you when there are wolves nearby.
    You've seen the gods I worship
    from your place by the chalkboard.

LoathLorien, you'll never be at rest
    and I wanted you to go for your sake.
    Now I want you to stay most of all
    because you may sometimes know peace,
    but yours is not a life lived in peace. Be not at peace.
    You've seen my artistry, such as it is:
    You know those ladies need some Loki.

Here I am
    where I probably knew I'd be
    and they want a crusade against the infidel
    and you could see me cry if
    too many bloody paintbrushes hadn't crossed my cheek.
    I'm proud of crying, proud of being poor enough
    to have to eat ramen noodles.
    And waves keep creeping forward in every strophe
    so that I always wash up far downstream

I have a father and a mother,
    true ones, oh so much in my life,
    lovers who strain my breath
    with feverish refining fire.
    You insist let.it.go
    and you have my e-mail and my list of questions.
    One of my ribs is your tradition without your founder
    and something holy did come of that.
    I'm here, telling you take.it.up
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

Well, Sacred Mists proved to me today that they don't want anyone to let.it.go.
    I wrote yesterday to request that they remove my endorsement from their site (as I asked them to do last summer).
    I wrote:

It has recently come to my attention that you are using my words to promote your business without my permission. Please remove my endorsement (and any other materials with the exception of rituals that I have given you permission to use) from your website as per my request when I left the Mists. I appreciate that you are busy, so I will allow you a week's time in which to do so. Once these words are removed, I will no longer have any reason to post about my experiences at the Mists in public forums because the Mists will no longer be actively using my statement for monetary gain.

Sincerely,
    Rev. Scott Hill, sometimes known as Vanamee
    you request that we remove your testimonial from our website and when done, you will
    cease to post regarding your experiences at Sacred Mists College.
    We ask, that as part of this agreement, you post a final response to the threads in
    question, consisting of the fact that you have been in contact with Sacred Mists and
    have come to a satisfactory conclusion in your association with Sacred Mists. No
    details are needed or expected.
    If you agree with our request, please reply with your acceptance back to me and the
    testimonial will be removed within 24 hours of your agreement.
    We truly regret your unsatisfactory experience with Sacred Mists and accept
    responsibility for any mistakes that we made. We wish you and your family brightest
    blessings and success in your future endeavors and are looking forward to hearing back
    from you.
    It is our hope that we are all able to move on from here with peace and light in our
    hearts.
    May the Goddess bless you,
    Amethyst Lilyth M.
    "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in
    it. Begin now." - Goethe

I'm sorry. I think you misunderstood my e-mail. I'm asking you to do something ethical for the sake of ethics. I'm also asking you to do it because it's the legal action to take in regard to endorsements. I'm not making an agreement with you in order that you may prevent damage to your corporation's reputation. Indeed, I cannot enter into an agreement with you because 1) you may still be using my materials on the private portion of your website without my permission just as you're using them on the public portion of your site, 2) I cannot believe in any agreement made by a business whose members have libeled me in the past because the agreement may not be honored and 3) I cannot enter into an agreement with someone who offers a business pseudonym in place of a legal name.

I'm sorry that you continue to refuse to comply with my request, as I would love to put this situation to rest. Although I know your business has the money and influence to escape many legal repercussions, I will have to try recourse through government agencies.

Thank You for Your Time,
    S.H.
    "People are still trading crime for crime."
    -Ani DiFranco
    "Additionally," states the agency, "the advertiser may continue to run the advertisement only so long as he has good reason to believe that the endorser remains a bona fide user of the product."
    In other words, the "leaders" at Sacred Mists want to force me to give up my legal right to post my opinions in public forums and offer a bogus statement of reconciliation just so they'll do what ethics and the law require them to do anyway.
    I guess some people won't do what's right unless there's some kind of profit in it for them. At least this correspondence proves that a member of the SM council knows that her website contains lies that she will not remove. I wonder how many more of those endorsements are being used falsely.
    So, to whomever asked me why I said Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone are associated with a criminal organization, here's further proof. Farrar and Bone are tied into a program that not only libels its former members; it's also a program that refuses to practice honest advertising.
    Blessings,
    Scott
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

Hey Scott, you must have really stirred the pot, man, because the website is now inactive. Looks like you put the fear of Goddess in 'em, ya did!

Have yourself a drink and pat yourself on the back!

It is because of potential situations like this that it is a matter of policy for me never to involve myself in any kind of religious institution, especially such institutions that like to make a buck.
    My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
    Hey Scott, you must have really stirred the pot, man, because the website is now inactive. Looks like you put the fear of Goddess in 'em, ya did!

Have yourself a drink and pat yourself on the back!

It is because of potential situations like this that it is a matter of policy for me never to involve myself in any kind of religious institution, especially such institutions that like to make a buck.
    what website would that be?
    if it's Sacred Mists no fear they are still up and running.

and it appears Lady Raven answered to Scott on that blog so I hope he and they can now just move on.

Blessings.
    PW

Quote Originally Posted by PaganWitch View Post
    what website would that be?
    if it's Sacred Mists no fear they are still up and running.
    Woops, nevermind. My mistake. The URL listed in the OP, however, has most certainly been taken down.

and it appears Lady Raven answered to Scott on that blog so I hope he and they can now just move on.
    One can always hope.
    Last edited by Darth Brooks; May 16th, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
    My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast