View Poll Results: are buckland's books worth buying?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

116 82.86%
  • no

24 17.14%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: raymond buckland

I don't mind his works too much, but they're very techincal and -dry-. I only have "Bucklands Complete Guide to Witchcraft" or whatever it's called. The one with the big blue cover on it. His workbook thing.

I've tried and tried to start it about 5 times since I've had it. I could never get into it because it was just too dry for me. So I just skip around to what I want.

But, if you like that sort of style, it's worth the read.
    "The whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the interdependence of all these living beings, which are all part of one another, and all involved in one another."

"A life is either all spiritual or not spiritual at all. No man can serve two masters. Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image of what you desire."

Thomas Merton, Trappist Monk

Even though his style is very different from my own personal path, I thought his Blue Book was helpful when I was first starting out. The tests and activities at the end of each lesson were helpful in making sure I really learned and understood the material.

Quote Originally Posted by chryssi1
    Even though his style is very different from my own personal path, I thought his Blue Book was helpful when I was first starting out. The tests and activities at the end of each lesson were helpful in making sure I really learned and understood the material.

lol, you know, that's really made me want to have a closer look at some of his stuff now

I only have his big blue book but I liked it. Geared mostly towards a beginner though or as a refresher but still good.

i'm with autumn, not crazy about him.

Yes, well it takes all sorts and, as they say, you can't please all the people all the time. Happily, with over 400,000 copies sold, it seems that some people enjoy it, and even my "tone."
    In love and light,
    Ray-B

I have to go with "Yes". I agree with roughly 50-75% of what you write, Raymond (I hate speaking about someone in third person when they are essentially right here), in terms of if it most logical for me when actual facts are not present and it's a matter of choice.

The big blue book as it is so often called I own and have read. Some of the information was not as applicable for me when I first read it as it may have been when it was originally written, but overall I found it pleasing.

However, my personal favorite would have to be "Gypsy Witchcraft & Magick". I'm not at all an authority on their culture and history, but I loved the book and to this day still refer to it occasionally.

I believe I still have one or two candle magic based books (I cannot recall how many you have written) from my very early days in the craft, almost positive I do anyway as I never throw books away so unless some disaster has befallen them... well, you know.

Other than those, I'm not sure if I have read anything else, or at the very least own anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Greywind
    I have to go with "Yes". I agree with roughly 50-75% of what you write, Raymond (I hate speaking about someone in third person when they are essentially right here), in terms of if it most logical for me when actual facts are not present and it's a matter of choice.

The big blue book as it is so often called I own and have read. Some of the information was not as applicable for me when I first read it as it may have been when it was originally written, but overall I found it pleasing.

However, my personal favorite would have to be "Gypsy Witchcraft & Magick". I'm not at all an authority on their culture and history, but I loved the book and to this day still refer to it occasionally.

I believe I still have one or two candle magic based books (I cannot recall how many you have written) from my very early days in the craft, almost positive I do anyway as I never throw books away so unless some disaster has befallen them... well, you know.

Other than those, I'm not sure if I have read anything else, or at the very least own anything else.
    i agree with Raven here. Actually i have to say Raven Greywind as there are many Ravens here. Actually i have only three of your books. The Big Blue ,Practical candleburning rituals and Signs,Symbols and Omens i found them all extremely useful and right now i`m looking at the last one. I would say it is an excellent book for introducing people to to the various mystical orders.

Quote Originally Posted by lightdragon
    i agree with Raven here. Actually i have to say Raven Greywind as there are many Ravens here. Actually i have only three of your books. The Big Blue ,Practical candleburning rituals and Signs,Symbols and Omens i found them all extremely useful and right now i`m looking at the last one. I would say it is an excellent book for introducing people to to the various mystical orders.

I remember seeing "Signs, Sigils, and Omens" awhile back at a local bookstore. I came very close to buying it, but wound up spending a small fortune on learning origami instead.

Though, I am extremely tempted to spend all $200.00 I'll be getting for the Winter Solstice (it's easier this way since no one has the risk of buying me crap that makes no sense for me) on books alone. Perhaps I shall add this one to the list.

I don`t think you will need all of your $200 for this book. :hehehehe:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast