Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 - Lesson 1 - The Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Iolair
    First thing I need to ask is what if we can not get our cords made right away? Also for the meditation beads, does it matter what the material or type the beads are?
    I would suggest that you make and begin wearing your cord as soon as possible. =)

As for the material or type of bead...it doesnt really matter. Whatever you wish to use. I am currently using a sandalwood mala. However, once I remove my head from my butt and send a medallion to LP I will have a killer handmade hematite mala. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Toad
    I would suggest that you make and begin wearing your cord as soon as possible. =)

As for the material or type of bead...it doesnt really matter. Whatever you wish to use. I am currently using a sandalwood mala. However, once I remove my head from my butt and send a medallion to LP I will have a killer handmade hematite mala. =)
    *laughs* yeah Toadkill. I got everything but your part, you goof! *grins*

Slacker! *giggles*

"I met a girl who sang the blues
    and I asked her for some happy news
    She just smiled and turned away.."

Discuss the phrase: “As above, so below”

For me, it's hard to explain what my personal definintion of "As above, so below" means. I mean, I can tell you, but it may be harder than I think to explain. Now, this is my OWN peronal OPINION on this...I think it refers to the way we live, do things, etc. I still hold on to a few things from my days as a Christian. Meaning, when I think of the Goddess and the God, I picture them being above us. But they are also all around us, underneath us, to our left and right side. But I view this from the above point of view. I consider this "How do they do it above?" "Do it" meaning--how do they live their lives. And take that in whatever sense you want--how do they study, how do they walk, how do they sleep, how do they eat, read, do rituals, ANYTHING!! Live their lives in general. And "so below" refers to me. That I should somewhat model my way of living, whatever portion of my life it may be, around what they do above. How would they want me to live? How would they feel if I did {insert whatever here}. Once I took this point of view a few years back, I started doing things different. How would they feel if I threw this plastic cup on the ground? How would they feel if I picked this flower without giving thanks? How would they feel if I went by each day without giving thanks for the life I have?

And that is what "As above, so below" means to me. I hope it was easy to understand. As I said, I know what it means, but to try to convey it, especially on here is a hard thing to do!!!

Discuss the phrase:“There is no part of me that is not of the gods”
    I was created by the god and goddess, so I am a part of them as they are a part of me...our minds, our bodies, etc. My thought process, my way of walking and talking all come from them.

Discuss the phrase:“Magic Speaks to the subconscious of man through symbols and rituals” We do rituals using symbols. We do these rituals for magical workings or for mundane reasons. While we are doing the ritual, we think about the effect we want the ritual to have. And it stays with us, in our mind, in the back of our mind, as long as we are working the rital and afterwards.

Discuss the phrase:“To dare, To will, To know, To be silent"
    To Dare---believe in what you are doing. If you don't, then it won't work.
    To Will---Focus on your intent
    To Know---Know what you want to do, inside and out, before doing it.
    To Be Silent--Once you've done what you need to do, don't tell the world about it. It would be wasted energy to tell everyone.
    Last edited by CajunLady; September 8th, 2004 at 11:31 PM.

user formerly known as DixieWitch.
    Me on Facebook

I've made my belt and mala also. My mala isn't real elaborate and I will be ordering one online in a few days. I jsut got some plaid wooden beads from a local art store and a tassel from the craft's department at Wal-Mart. It's not much, but for now it serves it's purpose. And my belt isn't very wide, maybe 1-2 inches wide. But it's made from 2 stands of white cord and 1 strand of black cord. Both found in the craft department at Wal-Mart for $.54 a yard! But my tassel is off white. I will try to get some pictures of them both real soon and post here.

user formerly known as DixieWitch.
    Me on Facebook

going to wally world tomorrow.. ~ crosses fingers~.. hopefully they will have the chording i have in my head.. ~ shrugs~ ..

on some personal notes.. with the relaxation technique.. and this is the pregnancy condition nothing anyone can really do about it. i have to lay on my side with a pillow between my knees.

im reticent of trying a meditation of that nature again.. the last session when i tried it a few years back. kept slipping into trance. ~ crossing fingers again~ when i came out.. a lot of funky things happened. but no memory. ~ shruggs again~ .. well guess time to go for broke. so to speak.

i do have general wands and athame. even a sword small enough to use.. even a solid crystal dragon athame... would your suggestion be to use your hands? or use what i have? or is there a special thing that is required before going that far.

Today's Mighty Oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground -Anon.

ND's Twelve Steps to Making an Initiation Rope.

My experience with making the rope was so thoroughly amusing that I had to share it. And also LadyPhoenix said I had to because she was on the phone with me while I was making it and she was laughing at me the whole time.

Step 1. Remembering how to braid. This required some thought since I haven't braided anything ever pretty much. So... with some assistance and laughter from Ms. Phoenix, I was able to start braiding the rope, after tying off one end, cause i don't have a sewing machine and it was the only way we could figure to tie off the ends without having it unravel.

Step 2. Cuss the rope out because it kept getting into knots as I was trying to braid it. The braiding process took about 30 minutes. Mostly because it involved stopping to cuss out the rope, and stopping to undo the knots as they occurred.

Step 3. Tie off the other end.

Step 4. Get the tassels out.

Step 5. untie one end to sew tassels on.

Step 6. Realize that tassels are a bad idea, cause the white rope is unravelling and making its own tassel.

Step 7. Realize untying one end was a bad idea cause the braid is unravelling.

Step 8. Rebraid and reknot said end.

Step 9. Make the unravelled white ends into tassels.

Step 10. Take picture for amusement purposes.

Step 11. Find a friend with a sewing machine to make the next one.

Step 12. Type story up to include picture for everyones amusement.

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." ~Albus Dumbledore

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein

God made so many different kinds of people. Why would he allow only one way to serve him? ~Martin Buber

rofl lololol. ok.. im in tears.. got a good visual the entire time.. ohh my goodness lolol.

made chords before.. so feel your pain ND.. ~ still giggling~

Today's Mighty Oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground -Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyvi
    rofl lololol. ok.. im in tears.. got a good visual the entire time.. ohh my goodness lolol.

made chords before.. so feel your pain ND.. ~ still giggling~
    It was very amusing. Though I was proud of myself for sticking through and finishing it intsead of throwing it across the room lol. but it was just too funny not to share. Magic is about having a sense of humor after all.

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." ~Albus Dumbledore

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein

God made so many different kinds of people. Why would he allow only one way to serve him? ~Martin Buber

*snickers* There was much amusement to be had. And for the record, dear ND.. it doesn't look half as bad as .. I *cough* expected from listening to the entire episode *giggles*

"I met a girl who sang the blues
    and I asked her for some happy news
    She just smiled and turned away.."

yeah uhuh. my deformed jump rope. *falls over laughing* no it's really not that bad.. making it was truly what was just amusing as hell.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast