Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Those White-Clothed Druids @ Stonehenge

Those White-Clothed Druids @ Stonehenge

Ok. I know people think they are fluffy bunnies...and i'm starting to think the same. But i was wondering...what was their purpose of choosing white as their drove color? I mean white is great for a starting color but not as you begin to learn of your Self and Nature and her bounty. [Also, if your one and only color is white i'm not sending a flame to you, i'm just wondering why an entire drove chose white.]

Choosing white is great before you know of colors and the color wheel and feal the 'warmness' or also 'coldness' of the various colors. Colors have/can bring fealings and emotions and to portray your self as basically a 'blank sheet' just seems rather odd to me?

Sort of a 'why' and 'any comments on this' post.

white is the color of purity and innocense. it is also a novice color in some faiths. i have white robes but i have an over mantle of silver and green. my mate is purple and silver. why they chose that color. i really dont know. mine come for a different reason that has little to do with orthodox druidism. but then twig and myrddyn know those reasons.

Today's Mighty Oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground -Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyvi
    ...mine come for a different reason that has little to do with orthodox druidism...
    Since Stonehenge is such a holy place almost a 'relic' and because of it those druids being a sort of 'vocal point' for druidry you think they'd be 'orthodox'....

those guys .. i dont know. they wouldnt concider me to be druid at all. most of them have some sort of druid bloodline as i understand it. now i do have irish and scottish heritage but nothing pointing a finger at a druid bloodline. stonehenge is there for me to tap if i need to. i dont need to.

Today's Mighty Oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground -Anon.

*shrug* I thought it was something that the Neodruid Organisation had decided on. Why? White represents Purity, holliness, cleanliness... and of course robes are an obvious choice of garment.
    As for why not have more colors?
    I dont see why you wouldnt but at a religion wide level it isnt something you could really "organise". Ive only met two druids in person, one did show me his robes and he had green, brown and a dark red robe *almost burgundy* and a simple white one.
    You would think that others would do the same... perhaps they show all in white to show a unified face?
    -meet bob the boing

Tainted beauties have destroyed the hearts and minds of men, but the damned have only themselves to blame.

On my tombstone I want carved:
    He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

What do you do when youve forgotten how to cry, when tears are beyond you and anger cannot find you, when all you have left is pain and frustration where shall you turn?
    When life is hell, givem heck!
    \Enosiophobia or Enissophobia- Fear of having committed an unpardonable sin or of criticism
    "some people say that things just happen...well, I say they're meant to be. If not made for someone who's broken, then I fear that these things werent made for me."

- Asthmorte

http://www.myspace.com/grey86

"The Druids, that is what the Gauls call their magicians, hold nothing more sacred than mistletoe and the tree on which it is growing, provided that it is an oak. Groves of oaks are chosen even for their own sake, and the magicians perform no rites without using the foliage of these trees...Anything growing on oak trees they think to have been sent down from heaven, and to be a signal that that particular tree has been chosen by a god. Mistletoe is, however, rather seldom found on an oak, and when it is discovered it is gathered with great ceremony, particularly on the ninth day of the moon...because it is then rising in strength and not yet half its full size. Hailing the moon in a native word that means "healing all things", they prepare a ritual sacrifice and banquet beneath a tree and bring up two white bulls, whose horns are bound for the first time on this occasion. A priest arrayed in white vestments climbs the tree and with a golden sickle cuts down the mistletoe, which is caught in a white cloak. Then finally they kill the victims, praying to the god to render his gift propitious to those on whom he has bestowed it. "

-Pliny the Elder (23-79 AD)

Many groups took this almost-certainly hstorically inaccurate idea from Pliny, and that's your answer.
    -M.
    Last edited by Morgandria; September 19th, 2004 at 07:02 PM.
    INFP

MtoM Tarot reader; Not available for tarot requests right now.
    View my MtoM Reader Profile

I`m not sure if it was ancient orders or the druid revivals. But there were suposedly three colors of druids robes. one was white, one was green and one was blue.The white ones were sometimes had gold trims to it.

not sure if this helps.

Whatever. In my lore, white is the colour of mist that surrounds Dewi (Y Ddraig Goch - The Red Dragon). Traditionally, as my family has done for a few generations now, I wear dark green robes, with white lace and markings. The undershirt is white and I wear a gold and silver necklace with my name, shield and most importantly a binding to Dewi - as well as an engraving of a Dragon Passant. Yup. Although, most ceremonies are preformed with the overcloak off... thus exposing my puffy white medievaly shirt and my lacehorne trousers with silvery outlines. Guests of honour etc. are usually forced into red robes ladened with gold and silver. In battle or in cold blood, example... when hunting game... one wears red robes with an amulet featuring the "tyre" or symbol of peace, harmony and blessing.

Yes... either way, white is a prominent colour. And, no matter what anyone might say, I still feel white is a pure and sophisticated (not "novice") colour.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTicona
    Ok. I know people think they are fluffy bunnies...and i'm starting to think the same. But i was wondering...what was their purpose of choosing white as their drove color? I mean white is great for a starting color but not as you begin to learn of your Self and Nature and her bounty. [Also, if your one and only color is white i'm not sending a flame to you, i'm just wondering why an entire drove chose white.]

Choosing white is great before you know of colors and the color wheel and feal the 'warmness' or also 'coldness' of the various colors. Colors have/can bring fealings and emotions and to portray your self as basically a 'blank sheet' just seems rather odd to me?

Sort of a 'why' and 'any comments on this' post.
    Not speaking of why any particular group might choose white, but...

White is all the colors of the color wheel. White light contains all the colors of the spectrum before it is exposed to the prism. Each color you see is the color/colors out of the white "all" that was not absorbed by the object you see. And it is the only color/colors of all the colors possible that reflected back to the core of your eye. If you wear red, for example, you absorb to yourself all but red, see? You "give" the red out for others to see, taking in all other colors.

So white light being and including all colors, a white object (or robe, or t-shirt for that matter) is reflecting most all of them to others, cool, warm, the whole kit and kaboodle!! Wearing black is absorbing all the colors (to the extent that we can make blackness that is) and reflecting little or none.

Makes one wonder if black is absorbed when white is worn? Black is associated with meanings of psychic, otherworldly, deep, "the unknown," the hidden(occult), knowledge...thus sometimes associated with "evil."

I guess one could say that wearing white is color-generous to others while wearing black is color -absorbing to oneself ...I tend to wear black a lot though. I suppose it is partly because I like solitude a lot , love color!!and partly because I have been a bit too generous to myself with the foods that make me a bit too generous here and there! LOL

O! I forgot to say that I doubt whether the white robed Stonehenge people are "fluffy" since they certainly take their ways seriously enough... Then again, I am not likely to denigrate any other religious path.
    On the other hand, I can be tough on people who don't take things of the spirit with some serious respect. Those I might think of as "bunnies": bunnies being very young rabbits that hop from this to that with never a serious thought in their heads until the hawk shadow falls...
    Last edited by Phi; September 21st, 2004 at 02:51 PM.
    "My dear child, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue, but rather denotes a lack of courage?"

Aunt Francis in Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Thanks to Faeawyn for the great banner
    Thanks to Aftershocked for the great Avatar

A Psychic Solitary Seeker Mystic Woman
    "Strive for the cycle of the Phi
    Where both the line and circle be
    For both the circle and the line
    Create life's spiral for all time."

Ah the Robe

Mine is hunters green with a silverish grey lining.

Why? Because that is the colors that the seamstress chose. (A most Generous b-day present from the fingers of Nynnianne, Emrys wife!) Rather like the elven cloaks in LOTR it is. I would rather think the dress robe would be utilitarian such as the one guiven me...they didn't have a lot to chose from I would belive, unless in the case of High Ritual, when the white would symbolize purity as they do at the henge rituals.

Besides who are we to dispute eyewitness account?
    Peace,
    Twig
    Its Edna the Stunt Double. "Help, I've fallen and I have no legs!"[/FONT]
    Yesterday is but a memory.
    Tomorrow? But a dream.
    You can only live for Today.
    So make today a yesterday worth remembering fondly tomorrow! (c)

Click HERE to enter Paxglade Valley!!!
    YahooIM...twigjatmetacrawler
    Official Crazy Old Man of MW!

AKA Mad Jack Cash - Bard on the Loose

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast