View Poll Results: Gemstones for Engagement/ Wedding/ Handfasting Rings?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diamond

39 45.88%
  • Amethyst

15 17.65%
  • Rose Quartz

6 7.06%
  • Moonstone

12 14.12%
  • Sapphire

16 18.82%
  • Emerald

23 27.06%
  • Garnet

6 7.06%
  • Ruby

18 21.18%
  • Onyx

5 5.88%
  • Other, please post

16 18.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gemstones for Engagement/Wedding/Handfasting Rings?

My guy gave me a ring with a bloodstone--but there were specific reasons for it. He'd had the ring for me cast from one I brought back from Skye, and set a bloodstone in it for protection. This was a second marriage and there were Issues with the ex going on.

Maggie

I don't care for diamonds either-- I agree that they are far too common and they just don't speak to me. We considered using our birthstones, but that would have given us red and blue rings (sapphire and garnet) and we just kept having images of "Wondertwin Powers-- Activate!" so we went with beautiful identical six strand puzzle rings. IThey're really cool, don't catch on much like many settings will, and have a sense of commitment since taking them off is a really bad (and time consuming once they fall to pieces) idea lol
    Thank You Faewyn, COS9, and Wynn Jera for my banners, and Dextra for my avatar. You ladies are wonderful
    Come drop by The Twisted Tree

I would have liked to have other gems or stones in my ring but mine is just a princess cut diamond. My fiance went to a gemologist and had it designed especially for me though so that makes it really special to me

thanks to everyone for my beautiful banners

I didn't pick out my engagement ring, it was a surprise from my fiance for Mother's Day one year, which he considered appropriate since I already had two children from a prior marriage, and was at the time carrying his child. It is huge, beautiful, and very expensive, but that held no bearing on why I loved it...I only loved it because he chose it for me, and would have loved anything else he gave me equally as well. In fact, we had been wearing cheap $3 Wal-Mart bands that matched before that-not even "real" silver, but I had a hard time at first taking off the cheap ring to wear the more beautiful one, since I treasured it as well, and it had sentimental value. Alas, the cheap ring was actually rotting my fiance's finger, so it wasn't too hard to give in, and we wore the new rings as a symbol of our love. He isn't quite as into the stone thing as I am, but he can appreciate it, and one thing we do together is give each other significant crystals and meditate with them together sometimes, and I think it can enhance two people's energy bonds, regardless of whether or not they are used as the stones in your ring, or just stones you carry to remind you of one another. I have a rose quartz that he picked out for me in my bra right now (and pretty much all the time! Unfortunately, doesn't increase my cup size..)
    I would ask for the people who seem to dislike diamonds so much is this:
    Do you really not like diamonds, the way the look, or do you just have a bad association with them being a modern symbol of greed (I do to some extent), or do you just like to choose something more uncommon? I don't want my question to offend anyone, because everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I myself like some things about the diamond, and some things I don't. However, I would also like to point out some of the properties listed for the diamond in The Crystal Bible :"...is a symbol of purity...It bonds relationships, bringing love and clarity into a partnership. Said to enhance the love of a husband for his wife, it is seen as a sign of commitment and fidelity...also excellent for blocking geopathic or electromagnetic stress and for protection against cell phones..is an amplifier of energy. It is one of the few stones that never needs recharging...very effective when used with other crystals for healing as it enhances their power.****HOWEVER it can increase negative energy as well as positive..." and also "...pinpoint anything that is negative and requires transformation."
    Most of this sounds really good to me, except for the negative energy thingy...I cleanse it really good and hope my other stones that transmute or absorb negative energy will protect from this aspect. The only other problem that I have with diamonds is that any diamond ring you buy at the jewelry store has probably been exposed to so much negative energy, from the greed in the business, and the envious browsers who want a diamond for the wrong reasons (many times only for show, I think). But I guess this could apply to any pretty or expensive ring or stone too. Hopefully a good cleansing/smudging/dedication when you get the stone/ring will resolve it. I hope I am giving helpful information, and welcome any other information anyone else here can give me too!!

♥ Love and Light☮☼

Personally....
    I don't like diamonds because I don't like the film that developes on them if you don't keep them clean :D. I also don't care for how they look, they are a common type of stone for a wedding ring and the shimmery whiteness doesn't do anything for me... I personally would want a Moonstone or an Emerald for my ring, but both of those are out of personal favoritism. Rainbow moonstones have always appealed to me and I love the shimmery green of emeralds. Just my two cents :D

I don't care for diamonds because I dislike the seemingly common mentality around them. To sum it as a friend once said " He really doesn't mean it unless there's a diamond involved." Too many people go broke and ruin themselves for a piece of overpriced carbon. It's another worthless status symbol.

If your stone means something to you, great! As it should be, no two things ( wether they're diamonds, apples, or car wax ) will mean the same to everyone. I know some people that absolutely love their stones and wouldn't trade them for anything. That's grand, truly. But for me, the ugliness of the diamond market and the greed level for them just really ruins it for me.

My band is 14K rose gold with an Antrim band. Simple and nice, although I don't always wear it. I do so much with my hands, I take it off and then wander around....." Honey, have you seen my ring....?"

I'm not engaged/married, but my stone of choice for either ring is a sapphire. I just love the dark blue of the stone.

banner made by me!

Childfree and loving it.

What's this?

High Priestess of the Googlites

You actually want to know more about me?
    My LJ

I voted for Amyethst,moonstone and rose quartz.
    You could also ask a jeweler to get the stone that you and yours like.
    Have the jeweler make custom rings for you!

I hate diamonds. my engagement ring better not go anywhere near diamonds. I think they're ugly. (and yes, I am female).

my promise ring has a moonstone in it. however, it's sort of pink, so I dont know if it's an *actual* moonstone, or if it's been coloured.

I'd like to get my boyfriend one with Jasper in it. Those are pretty.

add a little magic to your life, and the lives of others. glamour bomb.

I have never exchanged a ring. The engagement ring I got the first time around had rubies and diamonds. I still keep it to give to my daughter someday.
    Eowyn - "The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast