View Poll Results: Gemstones for Engagement/ Wedding/ Handfasting Rings?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diamond

39 45.88%
  • Amethyst

15 17.65%
  • Rose Quartz

6 7.06%
  • Moonstone

12 14.12%
  • Sapphire

16 18.82%
  • Emerald

23 27.06%
  • Garnet

6 7.06%
  • Ruby

18 21.18%
  • Onyx

5 5.88%
  • Other, please post

16 18.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gemstones for Engagement/Wedding/Handfasting Rings?

We haven't been able to afford our official engagement rings yet, but we have exchanged "promise rings." We found mine on Ebay, and the designer often has the same design up. It's a faceted rainbow moonstone set in an art deco-style setting. I don't care if he sells a million of them, though, because it's fitting to my personality. You can see one just like it on his present auction. I get a lot of compliments on it, and people think it really is an antique.

I gave my fiance a sterling silver band with a rope design. The center also twists and I love to hold his hand and spin it all the time.

We've chosen the design I want for the "official" engagement ring: An oval diamond with a trillion cut diamond on either side of it, in platinum. I actually like diamonds, though I don't like big stones, so it will still be small. Next, to choose our wedding bands!
    Click to visit my "EQ and Mundane Life" journal

I wasn't to keen on diamonds either, I thought they'd be cold and harsh. But I didn't choose my ring, hubby did it all himself and surprised me with it...just after I told him I wasn't too keen on diamonds How bad must he have felt?

But I love it. Two diamonds in platinum, set so they look like they're a wave rising out of the sea (I love the ocean), and it isn't cold or harsh at all. It was the perfect choice.

my engagement ring is three pearls set in rose gold. It is a family heirloom that belonged to my fiances grandmother, his grandfather found the pearls on the beach in Java in the 1930's and had them made into a ring for her. My fiance felt bad because he hadnt spent any money on me for the engagement so he bought me diamond earrings. I wear them all of the time and i love them because the pearl engagement ring is so sensitive to dirt, water, chemicals, etc that i only wear it for special occasions, Id be heartbroken if it was lost or broken. i wear a cheap silver love heart ring on my ring finger the rest of the time. I bought my fiance an 18k gold band with Celtic knotwork, he wanted to wear a ring during the course of our (long) engagement to show that he was "off the market". I have asked him to buy me a cubic zirconian gold ring to wear everyday, that looks like diamond, just so that people know that im engaged. I have had problems in the past with unwelcome advances from men and Ive found that they leave you alone if they know you're engaged. Im into the theatre (and Im an Aquarius) so i have no probs wearing a big fake showy ring just so that other blokes get the idea. Plus cubic zirconian is so sparkly!
    We are probably going to get 9k gold rings for the wedding, something fairly hard, my fiance wears through rings quickly as he does a lot of manual work with his hands. platinum would be better but we cant afford it. And he's promised me a garnet ring at the birth of our first child. (garnet being one of my birthstones).
    star_childe

I am not engaged or married but I know for my ring I would like an opal with diamonds on the side. I love opals and they have only enhanced my life. Its my birthstone and I love fire or blue opals the best, in yellow or white gold.

Brandiwyn
    If I really could ride a broomstick, then I wouldnt get stuck in traffic!!

Happy Mabon.. Fall is here!

I don't like gemstones at all. When we first got married we had matching white gold wedding bands. I lost mine. We got new wedding bands. He lost his. Now we have matching tattoos. I don't think we'll lose them, lol.

Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightening?
    The wedding ring my hubby got me has diamonds and really dark blue(almost black) sapphires. I wanted something a little different and he found it. I had chocolate cake with chocolate frosting,my mother almost keeled over cause it wasn't white!

My ring has 7 diamonds. A central diamond and 6 surrounding it. The thing that makes this ring special, however, is that it was my mother-in-law's ring...she died 6 years ago, before we got married. If my husband was to buy me a ring, he'd probably make it some other gemstone because diamonds really have no value.
    To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater. - Bono

Well me and the SO had a differant way of doing the ring thing!!

First we were broke so anything over 10 bucks each was out.
    So what we did is we went to a NA store. We found matching silver rings with a pattern on them. They were 5 bucks each. They work and after 4 years the rings were miss shaped and the bands became thin and week...perfect!!! We took our old worn out rings, put them together back in the earth and we went out and bought the same type of rings again but 6 bucks each. We re-did our handfasting and renewed the spirit of our love. So now, we purposely buy cheap silver rings that will last only a few years so we can re-kinder our hearts over and over again!! The hole proccess of buring the old rings and getting new has become a special thing for us. Its a neat way to remember not take what we have for granted and its our special way to re-new our love.

Ok, well I don't have mine yet, but I do know what it is.

My ring is in the shape of a rose with a pink diamond in the center. The engagment ring is a regular white gold band with the diamond in it, and it slips into the wedding ring which is the rose. His ring is a dragon with rubies for eyes.

Of course these were both custom made, but they're great ideas. Pink diamonds are expensive, truth be told I have no idea how he found it. Pink sapphires are less expensive and more pink though if that's a color you like. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti
    Well me and the SO had a differant way of doing the ring thing!!

First we were broke so anything over 10 bucks each was out.
    So what we did is we went to a NA store. We found matching silver rings with a pattern on them. They were 5 bucks each. They work and after 4 years the rings were miss shaped and the bands became thin and week...perfect!!! We took our old worn out rings, put them together back in the earth and we went out and bought the same type of rings again but 6 bucks each. We re-did our handfasting and renewed the spirit of our love. So now, we purposely buy cheap silver rings that will last only a few years so we can re-kinder our hearts over and over again!! The hole proccess of buring the old rings and getting new has become a special thing for us. Its a neat way to remember not take what we have for granted and its our special way to re-new our love.
    thats so sweet

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast