View Poll Results: Gemstones for Engagement/ Wedding/ Handfasting Rings?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diamond

39 45.88%
  • Amethyst

15 17.65%
  • Rose Quartz

6 7.06%
  • Moonstone

12 14.12%
  • Sapphire

16 18.82%
  • Emerald

23 27.06%
  • Garnet

6 7.06%
  • Ruby

18 21.18%
  • Onyx

5 5.88%
  • Other, please post

16 18.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gemstones for Engagement/Wedding/Handfasting Rings?

My engagement ring was a heart shaped dual ring. half of the heart is 1/4 carrott blue diamond, and the other half is like a swishey thing with diamond chips. it was supposed to be a set, but he used the whole thing to propose. our wedding bands are gold claddas with eternal love written on the band in runes.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

My ring is gorgeous (not to boast or anything) it is kinda a victorian design I guess. I got it in MElbourne earlier this year. Had been searching for one for two years.
    It has a tiny square setting in the middle of what looks like three tiny leaves coming off each side. There are tiny diamonds set one each in the square and in each of the leaves. I dont have a camera with me or I would take a pic for you. It is white gold 18K. I dont like yellow gold on me, I like silver and white gold, and I love diamonds. I never used to until I got this ring...but they are so sparkley!!!
    I like emeralds and rubies aswell on commitment rings.
    "I believe we all suffer under a curse, the curse that we know more than we can bear, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing we can do about the force and lure of this curse." Vittorio -Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice

Quote Originally Posted by Tzhebee
    I haven't actually gotten mine yet, but I know what it is.

Why? Because I find diamonds tacky. (yes, a woman who does not like diamonds) But my SO really wants me to have a diamond. So this is my chosen ring. For many reasons: simplicity. I don't want something large or that stands up. I want it fairly flat so I don't catch it on things. I chose an emerald because it is my birthstone, favorite gemstone and favorite color.
    I don't like diamons either. I didn't get them so I was vey happy!
    Eowyn - "The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain."

We're not officially engaged (damn polish courts and divorce cases...) but we've already picked a gemstone for my engagement ring (or rather handfasting ring, because our pagan wedding is planned for upcoming summer) : definitely amethyst

With my ex-husband my engagement ring was an emerald with two very tiny diamonds on either side of it. Why? I don't like diamonds... I mean... they are okay for others, but I think they are tacky and I don't buy into the materialisticness of them. I don't want any fat hunky rock on my finger... small is better. Oh, and my emerald was also real, not created, and did have an inclusion in it. I don't like the crystal clear emeralds, I'd rather have the inclusions in it. Makes it more like it's actually a part of the earth, therefore has better energy to me. My current husband and I did not have the finances for an engagement ring, but it also would have been emerald... or perhaps amethyst... or maybe a combination of the two... if we had gotten one. All we have are silver celtic knot bands... and that's fine for both of us. =)

Edit: Oh, and Emerald because I absolutely love Emeralds. Always have. Emerald is my birthstone... and green is one of my favorite colors (other than purple of course - which is why I would also not mind an Amethyst... and heck, if I could squeeze them all in, I'd have Moonstone in there somewhere too because I love the Moon... lol).
    Last edited by Marishae; January 2nd, 2005 at 03:18 AM.

I'd think that a Diamon, Rose Quartz, or Ruby would be nice. I really like the Rose Quartz or Ruby idea because they're pink and red which are colors that symbolize love.

As I dreamt about jewelry last night, I suppose it's time I post to this thread. Also I've been married a few times, so I have perhaps more than average experience with these things.

I love colored gemstones. Diamonds have their own beauty, but deep color always draws me. First time I got an engagement ring, the ex knew this and got me a large, dark, faceted amethyst in a gold setting with two tiny diamonds on either side. Still have it, still love it. I designed our wedding rings, copied from a first-century (CE) Celtic ring, done on wide gold bands with a florentined background. And he wasn't even Pagan (though he was Irish, at least.)

Next wedding, plain silver bands. Very plain. We were flat broke. A business friend got us sterling blanks, the kind of rings they sell to people who make rings. They looked like they'd been sliced from a piece of pipe, and cost next to nothing. But we wore them for many years without them becoming misshapen.

Most recently, my beloved Druid surprised me (on his birthday) with a pearl set in gold completely encircled by tiny diamonds. "It's the white moon among the stars," he told me. I cried. We were, as is more usual, completely broke by the time of the handfasting, so our wedding rings are little inexpensive bits of silver (I think I spent US$3 on mine). We'll upgrade when we can afford to.

Mainstream jewelry stores will not sell you silver bands for wedding bands, not so much because the band won't hold up (although they'll tell you that) but because a) they make a lot more off of gold jewelry, and b) because you can't safely set a faceted stone in soft silver prongs. Cabochon settings work much better for silver. I have a cabochon amber set in a wide silver band which I've worn daily for many years without any problems, while I regularly mangled the gold band on my amethyst by clutching my fingers. (One might think that husband made me tense, no?) :hehehehe:

Hope springs eternal,
    Mrs. B
    ~Two things are necessary for a traveller on this path: a thick skin and a sense of humor.~
    ~ When the .sig file is longer than the post, what message does this convey? ~

Other

Got married but we didn't do engagement or wedding rings. Never was into jewelry that much and yeah, some find that odd. Funny thing is ...I love creating jewelry and worked with gold and opals years ago.

Somewhere in the Sun between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna813
    Hi All,

I am curious about those of us who have exchanged engagement, wedding, union, or handfasting rings..... did you go with a traditional diamond or some other type of gemstone or precious stone? Please share your story with us aboout your special ring!

Blessings,

Rhianna

I really don't like diamonds. For one thing to me they look like glass or zircon and are very common yet very expensive.

I always wanted an Emerald ring and my fiance got me one!

"Go out and go after the things in life you love."-Hank Williams Jr

"I've always been different with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"- Waylon Jennings

My engagement ring is while gold and is set with a ruby and smaller diamonds.

I normally wear yellow gold, but I saw this white gold ring and fell in love with it.

My Author Page
    That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast