View Poll Results: Are you a former Christian?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

209 75.45%
  • No

12 4.33%
  • I still am one

25 9.03%
  • I never was one

31 11.19%
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Christians

Former Christians

How many of us on here are there?
    Why did you leave Christianity?

I left the church because I didn't agree with the bible anymore. I found too many contradictions, and was given the instructions to 'ignore it' when I asked about it-or I was told I was misunderstanding it, but given no explaination beyond that. I was also sick and tired of the cliques and hippocracy. Being Baptist didn't make sense to me anymore.
    I was atheist for a while, but found I couldn't believe in nothing, and then I found Wicca.
    Last edited by Lilith79; October 5th, 2004 at 12:00 PM.

I'm still Christian, I used to be Wiccan though. So I guess I'll say why I left Wicca. I think it lacks a lot of very important morals, as well as the recognition of Jesus as God and Mary as the Mother of God. I also think it's very hypocritical, at least most Wiccans I ran into were.
    Last edited by Holly Ariadna; October 5th, 2004 at 12:00 PM.
    Catholic Witch - and proud of it!

~Carry in your memory, for the rest of your life,
    the good things that came out of difficulties~

is offline Only one man has my key, now and forever
    I left being a christian because I (yes that is me, MY opinion) think that the bible is sooo contridicting and I think they are a little stuffy but I have also seen stuffy pagans as well
    The closer you to get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes...

I love Lost_Sole.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Ariadna
    So I guess I'll say why I left Wicca. I think it lacks a lot of very important morals, as well as the recognition of Jesus as God and Mary as the Mother of God. I also think it's very hypocritical, at least most Wiccans I ran into were.
    Can you elaborate, Holly? What morals do you think it's lacking? How were the Wiccan's you knew hypocritical?

I didn't make a conscious decision to leave Christianity. I just slowly drifted away from it once I went to University and stopped going to church. Once I researched Wicca it just felt right.
    Last edited by Amethyst Rose; October 5th, 2004 at 12:05 PM.
    To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater. - Bono

and ME thinks that catholic's at least the ones in my town are wayyyy thiniking that they are on a high horse above everyone else. I personally don't think that any religion is the ONE true religion like they think here. . then I don't mean to sound rude... I really should go to sleep. I just meant a certain few... NOt all. sorry.
    Last edited by Angelus_Errare; October 5th, 2004 at 12:36 PM.

I love Lost_Sole.

I'm still a Christian, but I have expanded the religion to encompass more, the way I believe Jesus really intended. I don't think He would recognize what we call the Church now.

For me, there is really no greater rule than the Golden Rule. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". If everyone lived by this, what a wonderful world it would be.
    Answering the Mother Ship's call
    Dave Ramsey and the Total Money Makeover - we're on our way to financial freedom!

and one other thing... It is NOT my intent to offend anyone those are just experiences and opiions. ^_^

I love Lost_Sole.

is offline has the right to eat chocolate
    I was a Christian once. There were a lot of things I didn't agree with, like the thing were Christianity is the 'right' religion, I remember a leader of the Christian youth group I attended saying "Well people who believe other religions are just...wrong". I also remember asking about Paganism (which I was interested in, even then) and being told "Well, that's not a REAL religion..."

I also remember having a very heated discussion about homosexuality. First of all, my youth leader held this belief that people who are gay/lesbian can "do something about it if they choose", ie just magically change their feelings and become straight!
    Also, this person told me that "It's ok for them to be homosexual, as long as they don't practise the SIN of homosexuality". Yes, as though being intimate with someone you love could actually be 'sinful'. So, you are allowed to be gay/lesbian, but you are to be denied the chance of ever having a sexual relationship! Of course, that's perfectly reasonable...[/sarcasm]

*sigh* that was just one of many issues where I didn't agree with 'Christian' views.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Ariadna
    I'm still Christian, I used to be Wiccan though. So I guess I'll say why I left Wicca. I think it lacks a lot of very important morals, as well as the recognition of Jesus as God and Mary as the Mother of God. I also think it's very hypocritical, at least most Wiccans I ran into were.
    If you find that Christianity is right for you, that's fine. But please don't insult Wicca in the process. Your sweeping generalizations are entirely without merit.
    Ben Trismegistus
    Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast