View Poll Results: Are you a former Christian?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

209 75.45%
  • No

12 4.33%
  • I still am one

25 9.03%
  • I never was one

31 11.19%
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Christians

I was baptized catholic

is offline This isn't the Sylvan you're looking for
    Wandering in the silence of the Inner Carapace...
    I was involved in a cult church from age 7 to 16. It negatively influenced how I perceived deity, myself and being female, the world around me, males... It was deeply ingrained into me. I'm still struggling with it.
    For my mom, when we got out of that church, she could go back to the type of religion she knew before that. My sisters were young enough that they weren't as deeply scarred as I was...
    At 18, I stopped going to church at all. I had acquired several books on Paganism/Wicca/etc, and though I hadn't actually read them all cover to cover, what I had read resonated in me. I was 20 when I took those books and read them.
    I'm not saying I'll never go back to Christianity, but it would take alot to change my mindset right now in order to do that.
    And I'm happy being Pagan.

"Meh...."
    ¤My LJ Blog¤

The Great Redwoods of Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith79
    How many of us on here are there?
    Why did you leave Christianity?
    I went running from Catholicism yeaaaars ago. I got very tired of it when I was young, when I noticed that every service was the same......sit, kneel, stand, repeat after me...sit kneel, stand, repeat after me.

I even tried Baptist for a while...but that got very discouraging when one churchs' sunday schol told my neighbors 5 year old daughter that she would burn in hell if she didn't read her bible everyday (we had to run out and buy her one just to calm her down that day) And another church who had a 'guest' speaker do the shake down (thats what it felt like) for tithings that sunday...his speach ended with give what you can ....$10,000...$5000....or a $1000 he never went lower than that. He made me feel like broke ass people didn't have any reason to be there

So, I came to the ways of the Witch.....and this just felt right and like home to me

Nothing in the world is friendlier than a wet dog

Sometimes I dream that a big, giant squirrel is carrying me away. Does that make me a nut?

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
    Disciple of Jodarius~~Keep of the Names
    AKA: VroomBroom

Proud mom of a LCPL, US Marine!
    VMAQ1
    Semper Fi!

I searched very hard to find solace in the Bible and found none. I tried everything, every religion, anything to not become what was calling to me. I didn't want to be a pariah. I too found too many contradictions and questions in it and when I asked, people had pat little answers that made absolutely no sense. I looked around at people who 6 days a week were lying cheating worthless people and yet thought they were saints because they went to church every Sunday. It made me sick. But finally I gave in and followed my own path.
    Last edited by ~BEBZ~; October 6th, 2004 at 01:55 AM.
    /
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" -Albert Einstein
    Campaign to bring back Futurama

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Ariadna
    I'm still Christian, I used to be Wiccan though. So I guess I'll say why I left Wicca. I think it lacks a lot of very important morals, as well as the recognition of Jesus as God and Mary as the Mother of God. I also think it's very hypocritical, at least most Wiccans I ran into were.
    Well seeing that Wicca and Paganism ISN'T Christianity, maybe that why we don't recognize Jesus as God and Mary as the Mother. ...those are Christain Dieties. Pagan/Wiccans recognize other Gods and Goddesses too. And I don't see where Wicca is hypocritical...I don't mean to offend or anything, but I've known more hypocritical Christians than Pagans. Maybe you didn't run into the right Wiccans. I used to be a Christian...I used to be Wiccan. Neither did I agree with, but only with certain aspects of it. I find it hard to follow a diety/God that basically says "I am the only one" or that it's a sin to "live in sin" or that I can't have a homosexual relationship because I'll go to hell. There are many reasons I could list as to why I'm no longer Christian. But it's my personal reasons and something I don't want to discuss any longer.
    As far as Wicca goes, I couldn't follow the Rede, simple and straight.
    And as far as morals go, how long were you Wiccan? There are plenty of morals....you just have to know what they are. And they can and will be different for everyone. No, we don't have a Bible to follow. No, there are no 10 Commandments. No there is not one all encompassing God or Goddess. But like I said before, this isn't Christianity. Each religion has their own way of doing things. And Wicca/Paganism is definitly different than Christianity.
    user formerly known as DixieWitch.
    Me on Facebook

I was never Christian. My parents never had me baptised, and never tried to steer me toward Christianity or any other religion. Any questions I had about any religion were answered by my mother to the best of her ability. I was told my entire life that they wanted me to choose for myself. I began studying Ancient Greece as soon as I learned to read, first in the myths, and then reading every bit of literature I could get my hands on. There have never been any other gods for me than the ones I follow now, nor has there ever been any other religion.
    Last edited by Athena-Nadine; October 5th, 2004 at 12:36 PM.
    Our Rules|Copyright Policy |FAQ

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
    It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
    And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
    Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~From Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson

is offline Only one man has my key, now and forever
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEBZ~
    I searched very hard to find solace in the Bible and found none. I tried everything, every religion, anything to not become what was calling to me. I didn't want to be a pariah. I too found too many contradictions and questions in it and when I asked, people had pat little answers that made absolutely no sense. I looked around at people who 6 days a week were lying cheating worthless people and yet thought they were saints because they went to church every Sunday. It made me sick. But finally I gave in and followed my own path. I hate to say it now, but I hate Christianity, Christians, and all the crap that comes with them. 99.9% of them are hypocrites.
    correct me if I am wrong but isn't that kind of rude? you are judging them based on their religion and not the person themselves.
    The closer you to get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes...

I love Lost_Sole.

I was Christian....I still celebrate Christian holidays (which is funny because most of them are adapted from paganism anyway). I'm still interested in learing all I can about every religion. There are things in each religion I can relate to but paganism is the one that I fit into 100%. I know I just called paganism a religion which I don't think it is, but you know what I mean.

is offline Only one man has my key, now and forever
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Spirited_Away~
    and ME thinks that catholic's at least the ones in my town are wayyyy thiniking that they are on a high horse above everyone else. I personally don't think that any religion is the ONE true religion like they think here. enough said.
    whoa that came out kinda rude
    The closer you to get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes...

I love Lost_Sole.

Quote Originally Posted by ~BEBZ~
    I hate to say it now, but I hate Christianity, Christians, and all the crap that comes with them. 99.9% of them are hypocrites.
    Oh crapola. 99.9%? You are surrounding yourself with a lot of crappy people then...and that has nothing to do with the Christian religion.
    mol

sitegod/system_administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma
    follow mysticwicks on twitter | my blog

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast