View Poll Results: Are you a former Christian?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

209 75.45%
  • No

12 4.33%
  • I still am one

25 9.03%
  • I never was one

31 11.19%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Christians

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Trismegistus
    If you find that Christianity is right for you, that's fine. But please don't insult Wicca in the process. Your sweeping generalizations are entirely without merit.
    But, its ok for the sweeping generalizations to stand against Christianity?

Besides which, looks like to me she was giving her honest opinion. Notice the 'I think' and 'I also think'.
    mol

sitegod/system_administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma
    follow mysticwicks on twitter | my blog

Quote Originally Posted by ~Spirited_Away~
    whoa that came out kinda rude
    I didn't read it as rude....but I understand what you are saying....
    user formerly known as DixieWitch.
    Me on Facebook

is offline has the right to eat chocolate
    I know some nice Christians! They do exist! They're not mythical!

I know one girl who is a Catholic...and she thinks my beliefs are cool!

I was raised Roman Catholic. My family are hard core Roman Catholics, they really live it. I did kindergarten through 8th grade in a catholic school and that’s what turned me away from Catholicism. The nuns’ first answer to everything is “because the Bible says so” the second answer was a smack. I was hit almost every day and I have copied the Bible (as a punishment) more than 17th century monks. Being scolded for behavior is one thing but being punished for not thinking that the Buddhists and Muslims should go to hell for being a different religion is another. I was once asked the question “do you believe in creation or evolution” Even from a nun teaching science this is a loaded question. All the other kids said creation naturally. I said both. When asked to explain myself I said I believe God created to universe to be a constantly changing and dynamic thing. So when God created life God gave life the tools to survive a changing universe. So I believe that while God created the universe and my soul that nature created my body to be the beast vessel for my God created soul on this planet. I was hit by the teacher, the principal and the pastor and I had to go to confession that day. Which brings me to another point that drove me away, confession. I saw so many people use confession to do the most horrible things without remorse because they would just go to confession and be forgiven. This abuse of the sacrament and what seamed to be a total lack of accountability for your own actions sickened me.

This is just my story and is not meant to attack Catholicism. Like I said my family are Catholics and for some of them it works very well. Like in the case of my Nana, the most loving and tolerant person I will probably ever meet. She was VERY Catholic down to every cell and never judged anyone. She had more faith than I will ever know. Man, I miss her so much I’m tearing just writing this, but that’s off topic.
    I am the possessor of the knowledge of the words of magical power, I am the Avenger according to law, I have avenged the injury to his Eye. I have defended Osiris. I have accomplished my journey. The Osiris Ani advanceth with you with the word which is truth.

is offline Dancing to the music in my mind.
    I nver really had a religion until I was 11, before then i had been brought up in a house that celebrated alot of festivals from alot of religions!
    Lonely

Quote Originally Posted by ~BEBZ~
    I searched very hard to find solace in the Bible and found none. I tried everything, every religion, anything to not become what was calling to me. I didn't want to be a pariah. I too found too many contradictions and questions in it and when I asked, people had pat little answers that made absolutely no sense. I looked around at people who 6 days a week were lying cheating worthless people and yet thought they were saints because they went to church every Sunday. It made me sick. But finally I gave in and followed my own path. I hate to say it now, but I hate Christianity, Christians, and all the crap that comes with them. 99.9% of them are hypocrites.

I wonder if you would automatically hate me upon meeting me for the first time, or if you would practice the tolerance you want practiced upon yourself and give me a chance. Or would you condem me simply because I am Christian?
    Answering the Mother Ship's call
    Dave Ramsey and the Total Money Makeover - we're on our way to financial freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by mol
    But, its ok for the sweeping generalizations to stand against Christianity?
    I didn't see the sweeping generalizations about Christianity until you quoted them. Yes, saying that 99.9% of Christians are hypocrites is just as bad.

Besides which, looks like to me she was giving her honest opinion. Notice the 'I think' and 'I also think'.
    So, it would be ok if I said, "I think all Christians are stupid" or "I think all Muslims are violent savages"?
    Ben Trismegistus
    Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

I didn't see the sweeping generalizations about Christianity until you quoted them. Yes, saying that 99.9% of Christians are hypocrites is just as bad.

So, it would be ok if I said, "I think all Christians are stupid" or "I think all Muslims are violent savages"?
    Did she say anything about Wiccans being savages or that they were stupid? No. She said most that she came in contact with were hypocritical.
    mol

Quote Originally Posted by mol
    Did she say anything about Wiccans being savages or that they were stupid? No. She said most that she came in contact with were hypocritical.
    She also said it "lacks a lot of very important morals".
    Ben Trismegistus
    Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

She also said it "lacks a lot of very important morals".
    And maybe it does lack very important morals for her. How can she express that otherwise? Im not trying to browbeat you...Im just trying to understand as I felt her post to be very considerate considering the other posts in this thread. Anyway...going to lunch. I love messing with you.
    mol

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast