View Poll Results: Are you a former Christian?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

209 75.45%
  • No

12 4.33%
  • I still am one

25 9.03%
  • I never was one

31 11.19%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Christians

Quote Originally Posted by mol
    And maybe it does lack very important morals for her. How can she express that otherwise? Im not trying to browbeat you...Im just trying to understand as I felt her post to be very considerate considering the other posts in this thread. Anyway...going to lunch. I love messing with you.
    It's like I said in my first post -- if you find that Christianity is a greater fit for you, fine. Obviously, if you're a real Christian, Wicca will seem wrong to you. But there's a good and bad way of saying things. If what she was trying to say was "My personal system of morality fits Christianity better than Wicca", that's a lot different than what came across, which was "Wiccans are immoral". (Yes, I know she didn't say that, but that's how it sounded.)

The larger issue here is forming a generalization about a group as a whole based on your limited experience with members of that group. If my only experience with Christianity had been attending a fire-and-brimstone fundamentalist church, I would have a very skewed picture of what Christianity as a whole is like. I'm just trying to clear up some misconceptions.

But I'm off-topic, so I'll bow out.
    Ben Trismegistus
    Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Spirited_Away~
    correct me if I am wrong but isn't that kind of rude? you are judging them based on their religion and not the person themselves.
    No, if I were only judging them on their religion alone I would have said they all were hypocrites. I have met some very decent Christian people, that is why I so wanted to find my path there, but they were few and far between.

As for Wiccan's not having morals:

Bide the Wiccan law ye must
    in perfect love and perfect trust.
    Eight words the Wiccan Rede pulpill:
    An ye harm none, do as ye will.
    And ever mind the Rule of Three:
    What ye sends out, comes back to thee.
    Follow this with mind and heart,
    And merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

As far as I'm concerened those are the best morals out there.
    Last edited by ~BEBZ~; October 5th, 2004 at 01:14 PM.
    /
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" -Albert Einstein
    Campaign to bring back Futurama

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Trismegistus
    She also said it "lacks a lot of very important morals".
    Ben, I think you may be making more of this than it is. So she said that she thinks Wicca lacks some very important morals? That doesn't mean that she was bashing Wicca. From her point of view, from her personal moral code, she was stating a fact. That doesn't mean that Wiccans have no morals. How is that any different than the reasons people give for leaving Christianity? They are all personal observations, and are extremely subjective.

I could say the same thing. *...shrugs...* That doesn't mean that I look down on Wicca or those who are Wiccan. I've heard it said that morals are person specific, and have nothing to do with religion itself. For some, that's definitely true. Yet for some of us, our personal code of ethics is so entwined in our religion it is impossible to separate the two. They are one and the same. My religion would not be the religion it is without the ethics and moral values that go with it. Neither would Christianity.

Wicca itself doesn't really have a set moral code. There are no hard and fast rules of ethics to be followed of you're a Wiccan. The Rede? A suggestion that not every Wiccan follows or believes in. That very lack of rigid structure is part of what makes Wicca Wicca. Some people find that liberating. Some feel it lacks discipline. It doesn't make anyone more right or wrong than anyone else.
    Our Rules|Copyright Policy |FAQ

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
    It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
    And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
    Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~From Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson

I'm an ex-Catholic. I went to an all girl Catholic high school and I never really followed the faith, I just did it because my mother told me I had to so I could graduate from there. Once I did then that was it, I gave it up.

*edited to add* My parents sent me to a private school for the discipline and the religious teachings that I don't think they could have given me at home. They did it so I'd have a base to go on, and I could decide what faith to follow when I was wise enough to do so. I don't think being a Pagan was what they were expecting though.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; October 5th, 2004 at 01:35 PM.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

I was at one time a Christian, as a matter of fact my family called me and my husband "Holy Rollers". We were members of the church for about 7 years and VERY involved! We found that it did not suit us anymore and we were completly cut off from people that had been our best friends for years! They wanted to have nothing to do with us because we would not go back to the church. I (my opinion) have found too many Christains to be hypocrites, I am sorry to say this, but it has been my finding. My neighbors here refuse to let their children play with mine because of my chosen path, my landlord has thrown out my best friend because of her chosen path and if he knew of mine he would do the same.
    We just found that we were not willing to conform to what the church wanted us to be, and I was not willing to follow a God that says if I do not follow him I will burn. This again is only MY opinion.
    I have just found that Wicca is the way for me and I am happy and comfortable here.
    Myzttycal

Thank you Faeawyn And DawnsEve for my Awesome Banners!!

Thank you Skysilver for my Awsome Avatar!!

I left because I didn't belong.

See, every time I sat in church since I can remember, I had to filter everything I was being told and just 'let go' what I didn't agree with. Unfortunately, when you don't agree that there is ONE TRUE WAY, and when you don't agree with many of the rules placed on a "good Christian's behavior," you have a problem.

When you feel closes to diety when sitting against a large tree on a winter night, listening to the branches clatter amongst themselves in the breeze, and just - listening, then you pretty much know you're not a Christian.

Once I found out there were others like me, well, the decision was not too hard.
    "Would anybody tell me if I was gettin' ... stupider?" - RV, by Faith No More

Interesting. I try to avoid threads like this because I don't want to insult/offend people. I'll try not to and I apologize if I do.

I was born into a Catholic family but have always seen/heard/intuited things that Christianity could not explain. the more questions I asked, the more I was seen as a troublemaker. That was the first thing I really learned about Christianity:don't ask questions, just obey.

But I continued to search for my own answers and learned a lot. Like how Christianity is just made up from bits and pieces of other religions. The crucifiction, for example, is just the retold story of Odin and Osiris and other crucified and ressurected gods. And that's fine, it's a great story with valuable lessons to be learned from it. But it is just a story. It's mythology. The Virgin Birth is another story drawn from untold numbers of similar myths that came before it.

So it bothers me when Christians think that their way is the truth and everything else is superstition. Christianity is a very very young religion and wouln't exist at all without the religions and mythologies that came before it. But many Christians, and the Church itself, seem to have an absurd lack of tolerance for other religions. It's so irrational it would be funny if it wasn't so destructive and dangerous.

So I guess, to answer the original question, I can't say I left Christianity because I was never really a part of it but always ostracized for wanting to learn and think for myself.

I am so very sorry that you met some wicca that were hard to deal with. However I would like to point out that while the religious faith in many ways makes a person what they are not all people make the faith what it is. I am not wicca , I am hereditary pagan and I have met people from all faiths and I have found that there are good and bad people in all faiths . But, again it is the people not the faith that is not right. I have met wicca who tell me that I don't even exist because there is no such thing as hereditary but yet, here I am with a long line of who was eldered by whom in my family book and how many of my ancestors were pagan from start to finish. I would like to say that I try to see the good in all faiths and sometimes there are some who hide the goodness in their own faith by shadowing it over with their own personalities . And sometimes that shadow makes it look bad when it isn't.

blessings edenbolake

Quote Originally Posted by barlitone
    I left because I didn't belong.

See, every time I sat in church since I can remember, I had to filter everything I was being told and just 'let go' what I didn't agree with. Unfortunately, when you don't agree that there is ONE TRUE WAY, and when you don't agree with many of the rules placed on a "good Christian's behavior," you have a problem.

When you feel closes to diety when sitting against a large tree on a winter night, listening to the branches clatter amongst themselves in the breeze, and just - listening, then you pretty much know you're not a Christian.

Once I found out there were others like me, well, the decision was not too hard.

*nods* That's exactly how I felt too! I couldn't disagree with the nuns, I couldn't question why things were that way and I certainly couldn't give alternative responses that went against what I found to be very rigid rules. As I got into high school I realized that I couldn't be the kind of Catholic I was 'expected' to be because I didn't agree with the rules and the constant threat of condemnation. As a younger person (pre-high school), I always thought that if everybody who committed a sin went to hell, there wouldn't be anybody in heaven. Made the mistake of saying that to one of the sisters... I can still hear her yelling at me.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

I never left what I consider real Christianity, only stopped calling it Christianity so as to avoid the stigma that carries.
    The miracle is not to walk on water.
    The miracle is to walk on the green earth
    in the present moment,
    to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast