View Poll Results: Are you a former Christian?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

209 75.45%
  • No

12 4.33%
  • I still am one

25 9.03%
  • I never was one

31 11.19%
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Christians

I left for several reasons.

- After some pretty damn horrible experiences, I felt I could no longer believe in a god who was simultaneously all-loving and all-powerful.

- I am at my most spiritually attuned when outdoors, in the field and forest. I didn't feel that Christianity supported that, which - and I'm veering into fluffydom here - felt wrong.

- The creator feels feminine to me, not masculine.

All this ended up with me following a powerful but non-omnipotent goddess who reveals herself to me in the natural world. Jesus is a nifty feller, but I'm just not into the religion centered around him.
    - Sleet

I forgot to include the *be nice, and don't insult other religions* clause when posting this! Sorry!! I would like to ask that people be civil. If you're going to make a generalisation that is true for you-state as such. We wouldn't be happy seeing someone post "99.9% of (enter race here) are (enter generalisation here)", same goes for religion!

I have enjoyed reading this far! I didn't think this would get so many replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleet
    Jesus is a nifty feller,
    If I was one to quote people in my signature, that would be there all by itself. Probably the most hillarious and yet amazingly true statements ever made.
    The miracle is not to walk on water.
    The miracle is to walk on the green earth
    in the present moment,
    to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

I guess I may as well tell why I left 'Christianity.'

Mostly, it's based on my own personal experience.
    I know many Christians who practice what they preach, and do not preach what many other Christians would. Most of my closest friends are Christians, and they are - more or less - true to their own religion (in other words, not hypocrits).
    However, my extended family comes from an highly hypocritical church (the preacher is filthy rich, and his only job is preaching..tell you anything?), where it's okay to do what you want as long as no one knows (Why do you take two baptists fishing with you? Because if you only take one, he'll drink all of your beer).

I just got tired of it. I got tired of people dictating to me what I should be, twisting thousand year old scriptures to dictate my life as they see fit.
    I also got tired of following a cult religion that were it not for the roman empire forcing it on its people would never have made it as anything more than a cult.
    I realised, why should I follow a religion and a god because an emperor made my ancestors do so?

But, when I tried to break away from Christianity and the god thereof, I felt empty. I realised that, like it or not, Christianity was a part of me, and the god was real to me. So, I chunked what I didn't like and kept what I did, until I felt comfortable as if I had found my own niche.

I no longer call it Christianity, as that word just doesn't ring true for me. I've never liked the term, even when I was a Christian..
    in the present moment,
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

My beliefs changed when I started encountering questions that the Bible and members of my church couldn't answer. I sought the answers elsewhere, and found my niche in paganism. I still have great respect for Christianity, and I keep a part of it in my belief system.

I use to be a Christian. Later in life though, like many others who have posted in here, I had questions that couldn't be answered to my satisfaction...the only answer was 'just have faith'. The other issue I had personally was the concept of a vengeful fearing God who would cast you into hell for not accepting him. To me -fear- is the biggest and most powerful control tactic that can be used, and control goes against the whole 'free will' concept... so I have began to look else where...and I'm still on my journey with that...
    Last edited by Charise; October 5th, 2004 at 03:58 PM.

I was raised Christian. I spent most of my Sunday's dutifuly sitting by my mother's side either sleeping, drawing, or writing. Then there came a time when I woke up and paid attention. I read the Bible and none of it made any sense to me. It all seems hooy to me, so I took a look at other faiths, and over time I came to my own conclusions. My mother hates that I no longer go "to church" but really, it's not my faith anymore, and probaly never was.
    Life is nature's was of keeping meat fresh.
    ~ WITSOTMM ~

Mother Atmospheric Paraffin
    Necromancer and Emergency Responder. One way or the other, I'll bring you back.

I wanted to add this about myself. I also left because I hate the person that I was when I was still a Christian. I was a bitch to those who didn't believe the way I did, all in the name of converting! I was the worst to my mom (she didn't go to church, sent me because it was good for me), which some of that I can chalk up to plain old teen rebellion-but the rest was all in the name of converting her. I think part of the reason I had trouble making friends in middle school when we moved was because I was under the whole "don't be unequally yolked" dictatum. That basically means don't be friends with or date/marry anyone who doesn't believe the same as you. I was told at one point my then best friend, was going to hell because she was Catholic!

I like myself a lot better now as a pagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith79
    I wanted to add this about myself. I also left because I hate the person that I was when I was still a Christian. I was a bitch to those who didn't believe the way I did, all in the name of converting! I was the worst to my mom (she didn't go to church, sent me because it was good for me), which some of that I can chalk up to plain old teen rebellion-but the rest was all in the name of converting her. I think part of the reason I had trouble making friends in middle school when we moved was because I was under the whole "don't be unequally yolked" dictatum. That basically means don't be friends with or date/marry anyone who doesn't believe the same as you. I was told at one point my then best friend, was going to hell because she was Catholic!

I like myself a lot better now as a pagan.
    Yes! I was the same way. When I was a Christian, I was the kind to which I thumb my nose now. Perhaps that's why, because I know how they really live and how they act to others.
    I was hard on every Christian that believed differently from myself, and believed I was always right..
    in the present moment,
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

Though I haven't found any huge contradictions in the BIble (the n.t. overwrites the o.t. to most christians, the o.t. is more history to them) it's not my main source of insparation. Beautiful book though... Proverbs and Song of Solomon are great.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast