View Poll Results: Are you a former Christian?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

209 75.45%
  • No

12 4.33%
  • I still am one

25 9.03%
  • I never was one

31 11.19%
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Christians

I was a "Christian" for a little over two years and there was several reasons why I left. For one I was working about 70 hours a week, there was an old man that goes to church there that wanted to take me away frrom my husband "as if" among other reasons. I was never comfortable in Christianity, to me it makes you feel like you are nothing without the "grace of god" and I got tired of worshiping an egotistical self assorbed god. I wanted to feel like I was worth something and there was always something missing in it for me. And then I found Paganism via my sisters, thankfully enough. Now I feel complete and like I am finally where and what I am "supposed to be".
    [I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst Rose
    Can you elaborate, Holly? What morals do you think it's lacking? How were the Wiccan's you knew hypocritical?

I didn't make a conscious decision to leave Christianity. I just slowly drifted away from it once I went to University and stopped going to church. Once I researched Wicca it just felt right.
    Yeah, for example I don't think that the one Wiccan "rule" - An Ye Harm None Do As Ye Will - is the one thing you need to follow in order to be a good person. There's nothing about abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia, any of those things. The Rede definitely does not cover it. Abortion, for example, is in fact hurting someone (you take someone's chance to live), so technically all Wiccans should be pro-life. There are so many other morals that I can't think of right now that I think are lacking in Wicca.

Most Pagans I have talked to are always like "Well, I accept all religions, they're all as valid, etc. but to hell with Christians!!!" which really ticks me off. Even on this board it seems like people discuss Christianity more than Paganism, to try to find where it is wrong, contradicting, or whatever.

I could go on and on but I have to go to bed. Maybe I'll add some later!
    Last edited by Holly Ariadna; October 5th, 2004 at 06:54 PM.
    Catholic Witch - and proud of it!

~Carry in your memory, for the rest of your life,
    the good things that came out of difficulties~

yep...former christian here. not exactly sure wehre i'm going at with the whole christian part of my life but soon i'll have to make a descision i spose

Holly, I'm curious as to why you think you need a book or a written set of rules to tell you what to think...? Morality is [in general] relative.
    Last edited by WingedTigerChild; October 5th, 2004 at 06:58 PM.
    We're born in a prison, raised in a prison, sent to a prison called school. We cry in a prison, we love in a prison, we dream in a prison like fools. Wood becomes a flute when it's loved; reach for yourself and your battered mates. Mirror becomes a razor when it's broken; look in the mirror and see your shattered fate. We live with no reason, kicked around for no reason, thrown out without reason like tools. We work in a prison, and hate in a prison, and die in a prison as a rule. We live in a prison among judges and wardens, and wait for no reason for you. We laugh in a prison, go through all four seasons, and die with no vision of truth. ~ John Lennon

i know this is off topic....but wow...sweet kitty cat you got on your avatar lol

I never really gave up my Christian beliefs. My beliefs have changed but I still find the teachings of Jesus to be central to my belief system. I learn a lot from Quakers and liberal Christians. Even though there's so much I find uncomfortable about the Christian tradition in which I grew up, I didn't abandon it altogether. I will know them by their fruits, I will love my enemies, I will have faith as small as a mustard seed and move a mountain. My Baptist friends would probably tell me I'm distorting the Word of God, and that it's not Christian at all... but I don't know, I personally accept the label Christian as well as Pagan. Christian just doesn't mean the same thing to me as it does to most people. I don't find it necessary to give up everything in Christianity just because I find many aspects of it unfulfilling.
    Last edited by arctic splash; October 5th, 2004 at 07:08 PM.
    It's up to you now if you sink or swim
    Just keep the faith and your ship will come in
    It's not so bad

Hey hey hey it's just an ordianary day
    And it's all your state of mind
    At the end of the day
    You just have to say
    it's alright

-- Great Big Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Ariadna
    Yeah, for example I don't think that the one Wiccan "rule" - An Ye Harm None Do As Ye Will - is the one thing you need to follow in order to be a good person. There's nothing about abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia, any of those things. The Rede definitely does not cover it. Abortion, for example, is in fact hurting someone (you take someone's chance to live), so technically all Wiccans should be pro-life. There are so many other morals that I can't think of right now that I think are lacking in Wicca.

Most Pagans I have talked to are always like "Well, I accept all religions, they're all as valid, etc. but to hell with Christians!!!" which really ticks me off. Even on this board it seems like people discuss Christianity more than Paganism, to try to find where it is wrong, contradicting, or whatever.

I could go on and on but I have to go to bed. Maybe I'll add some later!
    No, most Wiccans do not believe that they must follow the Rede in order to be Good People. The Rede was NOT written as a law for Wiccans to follow, and most non-Wiccans and many Wiccans don't really understand the history and meaning of the Rede. I explain what I have learned about the Rede on this thread: http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=69547

I've been debating with folks online for a few years now about whether morals are a natural human ethic or are imposed by religion. Each religion and each culture has different morals and ethics that rarely agree with each other. It's egotistical to believe that the religion that one is born into or has chosen is the only one with the "proper set of morals".

1. Christain--yes, I am.

2. As for the idea that if you feel closer to deity outside than in a church you can't possibly be Christian, well, that's just silly. I recall a lot of early Christians worshipped where they could--often outside. I know, I know.....I argue with my fundy grandmother all the time that just b/c it doesn't take place in a "church building" but rather outside, or in someone's home, or wherever...that doesn't make it less than an organized service in a church with a steeple & collection plates. Myself, I have always felt more in contact with diety in an empty chapel, or sitting out on the back porch just as as twilight turns to night, or sitting on a log by the lake. I don't believe for one second that makes me any less of a Christian.

3. I think true Christianity has gotten lost along the way--caught up in ceremony & rules & "I'm better than you". And that holier than though thing--is part of basic human nature. It's the need to compete. We'll never get everybody to agree to disagree ever b/c there are always some who are hellbent on being more right or better or holier than somebody else.

4. Please....let's not forget that Christianity is not the only faith to have a bloody history. It is not even only Judeo-Christian faiths that have bloody, violent histories. It seems very popular to bash Christians b/c of the violent things that have been done in the name of God, while the fact that Christians have also been persecuted & murdered at the hands of others b/c of their faith is simply ignored.

5. Holly also has a good point. It seems that (in my experience, and it's been much more frequent lately) a lot of Peoples/wiccans/whatever claim to have very open minds & respect all paths...EXCEPT Christianity.

Perhaps it's simply that a bit more balance is required on both sides.
    Last edited by Mab; October 5th, 2004 at 10:40 PM.

i left because i got tired of the "leave everything up to God" "god will handle it" "be passive" "we're waiting for christ to return" bullshit. i never did like waiting for things.

i also left because of some things that people did to me. i was very active in my youth group, yet because i wasn't a pastors kid, i never got in all the leadership groups or anything. also, once i realised that i really like being goth, they basically shunned me.

course, it may have had something to do with a very cranky me cussing out a bunch of popular girls who were up till 2 am talking about stupid girly girl stuff when i had been up since 5 am the previous morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ~BEBZ~
    I searched very hard to find solace in the Bible and found none. I tried everything, every religion, anything to not become what was calling to me. I didn't want to be a pariah. I too found too many contradictions and questions in it and when I asked, people had pat little answers that made absolutely no sense. I looked around at people who 6 days a week were lying cheating worthless people and yet thought they were saints because they went to church every Sunday. It made me sick. But finally I gave in and followed my own path. I hate to say it now, but I hate Christianity, Christians, and all the crap that comes with them. 99.9% of them are hypocrites.
    I really hope we can do our best to avoid religious intolerance and hatred here. Nobody's perfect. I know many Christians who are wonderful people. I have Baptist friends who do annoy me a bit sometimes with their 'holier than thou' attitude, but they're still good, caring people, and they generally accept me. I have a Catholic friend who's really passionate about her religion but is completely accepting of other beliefs. I know the people you describe are out there; I've seen them, and it's horrible. I just haven't found them to be the majority (nevermind 99.9% -- that's absurd). There are many liberal sects of Christianity where you don't find that attitude at all. In fact, the song in my signature is actually now recognised as a hymn in the Unitarian Universalist Church. Imagine -- Christians accepting a song about the Goddess!

It's clear that you have issues with Christianity. It seems like you still have a lot of internal issues -- anger, resentment, etc. -- with the effect Christianity has had on your life. But please don't judge Christianity, which is far deeper and broader than what it has been in modern times (and since its definition was narrowed by the Council of Nicea and later Roman councils). Read how the mystics interpret Christianity and the Bible -- Meister Eckhart, Francis of Assisi, Aquinas, and other Christian mystics will give you the fuller spectrum of what Christianity is about. Read a book by Matthew Fox -- probably the most pagan friendly Christian author out there.

Hypocrites may call themselves Christian, but they're hypocrites because they have human flaws, not because they're Christian. Many people are brought up in the Christian tradition, never given a choice, and I think because of this, many 'Christians' don't take it seriously except in the most superficial ways (e.g. going to church Sundays). I've also found some hypocrisy in paganism... No offense meant, and this is just my own experience, but it seems that a lot of people suffering from depression and mental problems turn to Wicca/paganism. I've found some of these people have a lot of issues... and that's where the hypocrisy comes from...
    Last edited by arctic splash; October 5th, 2004 at 08:07 PM.
    It's up to you now if you sink or swim
    Just keep the faith and your ship will come in
    It's not so bad

Hey hey hey it's just an ordianary day
    And it's all your state of mind
    At the end of the day
    You just have to say
    it's alright

-- Great Big Sea

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast