Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you mind sharing your ACT experience?

Would you mind sharing your ACT experience?

ACT's are coming up for us juniors (enter "Jaws" theme). I took it in 7th grade and made a 21 out of 36 (the average grade for highschoolers in 2003 was 21, I dont know what the average was when I took it at 12 1/2), my bro took it in 7th and made a 22. I would love to make a 24-26 and up my first try and go from there. It would be ideal to get a 36, of course, but I haven't even taken Trig yet so I can only probably get a 28 or something similar :crosses fingers: (i can still wish, can't i?) I have an ACT course and everything but I'm not one who loves the experience (I can't breathe sometimes when I take tests like the ACT or SAT, etc.) I was wondering if any of you Americans took the ACT and what was your score? Any tips?

Wish me luck!

What's ACT for? I don't think I remember taking that.

I have a problem with math, so I didn't do too well on my SATs (although I aced the English section). I got a 32 out of 36, and honestly honey - they were much better than the SATs, for me anyway. And this is coming from someone who has horrible math skills, remember. (I took mine in 1992. Now I feel oooolllldddddd.)

I got a 32 on my ACT as well... but I didn't study for it. I didn't study for the SAT either. In fact, I got an hour of sleep the night before the SAT because I was awake all night talking to my girlfriend/future fiancee. And I didn't take the SAT until after I'd been accepted into a college, because they said they needed an SAT score for me. In other words, it wasn't very important.

I didn't take anything about school seriously - to me, standardized tests are BS. I'm intelligent, but I don't test well. I can't focus my brain for tests. It's hard to figure out math formulas when your brain is focused on the intricacies of John Lennon's songwriting. All standardized tests do is prove that you can regurgitate information that nobody outside of the intellectual elite is going to care about.
    "The Rat hummed a tune, and the Mole recollected that animal-etiquette forbade any sort of comment on the sudden disappearance of one's friends at any moment, for any reason or no reason whatever."
    -Kenneth Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    I have a problem with math, so I didn't do too well on my SATs (although I aced the English section). I got a 32 out of 36, and honestly honey - they were much better than the SATs, for me anyway. And this is coming from someone who has horrible math skills, remember. (I took mine in 1992. Now I feel oooolllldddddd.)
    LOL
    Well, both SAT and ACT are standardized, so their format doesn't change. 32 is great.... I'd love to be set on that goal but I have this thing about failure. That way I'm pleasantly surprised when I go over my low goal. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by charmedkisses1
    LOL
    Well, both SAT and ACT are standardized, so their format doesn't change. 32 is great.... I'd love to be set on that goal but I have this thing about failure. That way I'm pleasantly surprised when I go over my low goal. :shrug:
    I shocked myself with my score Just go in and do the best you can. Put all thoughts of a number out of your head. Get a good night's sleep the night before, and bring extra pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    I shocked myself with my score Just go in and do the best you can. Put all thoughts of a number out of your head. Get a good night's sleep the night before, and bring extra pencils.
    In other words, don't do what I did. That's my standard advice for most things in life.
    "The Rat hummed a tune, and the Mole recollected that animal-etiquette forbade any sort of comment on the sudden disappearance of one's friends at any moment, for any reason or no reason whatever."
    -Kenneth Grahame

I guess I'm waaay too old, I don't ever recall taking the ACT.
    - Sleet

I got a 29 on my ACT. I hadn't taken Trig yet, either, but I still did pretty good on that part. I'm not sure how.

Just do the best you can... On the questions that completely stump you, try to make an educated guess. Yes, plenty of pencils is a good idea. If you find yourself tense and nervous during the test, take a second and just breathe. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleet
    I guess I'm waaay too old, I don't ever recall taking the ACT.
    Are you American? I think it's only in USA.

Terestai and Av,
    Thanks, but I'm still gonna study

Cev,
    Nice! I'm not great at math (good in algebra, suck at geometry) But I'm hoping I can do as good as you (or better) So I guess 29 and up is my goal then...
    Last edited by charmedkisses1; October 19th, 2004 at 03:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast