Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chesterville Witches grave, Chesterville, Illinois

Chesterville Witches grave, Chesterville, Illinois

I originally posted this in the Paranormal Forum, but then thought this was a more appropriate place for it.

There is a legend in Chesterville, Illinois about an Amish woman who was banned from the church a hundred or so years ago for speaking out against the way Amish women were treated. They branded her a witch and banished her. She disappeared, only to be found dead in a cornfield. After letting everyone view the 'witches' body, they buried her in the Chesterville Cemetery, planted a tree on top of her grave (to keep her spirit from wandering) and put a wrought iron fence around her grave to warn people a witch was buried there. Supposedly, people have seen her spirit around her grave. When I read this legend online, I got very angry...not sure why. I don't think her spirit is at rest.
    This weekend, my daughter, her friend and I went to see her grave. It took us awhile once we found Chesterville to find the cemetery, but we finally found it. It is a very tiny cemetery out in the country, and sure enough, her grave was there. When we pulled into the cemetery (one tiny gravel lane), and stopped, it was very quiet. As soon as we got out of the van, millions (it seemed) of birds went nuts, screeching. We found her grave, it had a large square tombstone, very old and mossy, impossible to read...history, according to the websites about her, has forgotten her name. The tree was HUGH, it looked like two trees had grown into one massive one, like the old spooky trees you see in scary movies. The ground around the entire grave is at least six inches higher than the rest of the cemetery, as if something is slowly pushing the tree up and out of the soil. I really felt the anger and lonliness there, as if a great injustice has been done. I feel a real connection with this person, but also felt as if we were being pushed away from the cemetery. As soon as we got back into the van, before we even drove away, the birds stopped screeching. All of them at once. I can't get this person, the Chesterville Witch, (my daughter and one of my friends think her name was Sarah, I say Julie or Julia, but those are just...guesses?) out of my mind. Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on this?

Milliscent
    _
    You say 'crone' like it's a bad thing...

can't find what I'm looking for...maybe it's not there to find?

Thank you Linx for the great Book of Shadows!!!

where is chesterville? i live by rockford, i would be willing to do some research for you. also ifyou want to do it alone you can go to there court house of library and they would have that info there for you. things that make towns infamous usually people know where to find that info if they dont already have it on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas
    where is chesterville? i live by rockford, i would be willing to do some research for you. also ifyou want to do it alone you can go to there court house of library and they would have that info there for you. things that make towns infamous usually people know where to find that info if they dont already have it on hand.

Chesterville is about five miles West of Arcola, on IL-133 W. I would love the help, because no one seems to know this womans name. Her family (decendents) have to still be in the area, because the four originating Amish families still live there. They are a very close-knit, closed group and finding info is hard, as Chesterville is so small, there is no city hall, not even a police department, nothing! I am sure her parents are buried in the same graveyard, but no info exists on them. Her father is mentioned in the online info about her, but they don't say much about him.
    _

well ill see what i can find for you. I'll help as much as i can.

well ill see what i can find for you. I'll help as much as i can.

Thanks...this is really important to me. I think it has to do with the injustice of it all, and how she died. No one seems to remember, but if she was found in a cornfield, it can't have been by natural causes, and something I heard once, that the Amish NEVER commit murder, seems a bit farfetched in this case.
    _

so far all i can get is that they "Dont speak or her name" whatever that means.. i tried to email some other city close by but they gave me nothing also. How bad is the grave stone faded off. you can take a big sheet of paper and put it over the gravestone and take charcol or something like that and try to get the name to come out on the paper by rubbing the stone.

IF they put her name on the stone in the first place. . .

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

true

so far all i can get is that they "Dont speak or her name" whatever that means.. i tried to email some other city close by but they gave me nothing also. How bad is the grave stone faded off. you can take a big sheet of paper and put it over the gravestone and take charcol or something like that and try to get the name to come out on the paper by rubbing the stone.
    I think not speaking on her name has something to do with her being banished from the church, but I'm not sure. The stone is very worn with age, or they have intentionally rubbed the name out, or the name was never there, because there is no imprint on the stone what-so-ever, which is odd in itself, because all the other stones, even the ones from the early 1800's, all have names on them. I'm thinking they probably didn't put one on the stone because she was banished, I will have to study up on their belief system more to be sure.
    _

sounds interesting to me since i live in the same area code. i will have to get a map and check this out for myself. i would like to see the grave and get the feel of the forces around it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast