Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Astral Projection

Astral Projection

OK, I recently had my third spontaneous experience of astral projection. I wont go into details, but sh*t!! it hurts when you 'snap back' too quick!!

Anyway, this time I started thinking that if I can do it 'accidentally' then I can obviously learn to do it purposfuly reasonably easily. But that begged the question - what for? Sure, it's cool being able to look down on your body and it sure opens your senses up to the spirits around you (which I can already sense anyway) a little more, but can it actually be used FOR anything? (other than visiting shangri-la, of course :hehehehe: )

I've tried googling, but mostly what I come up with is 'how to' lists...

Last edited by mucgwyrt; October 25th, 2004 at 05:06 AM.

Sir, I believe Mandoon is dry humping the pagan.
    The only purpose that comes to mind is when shamans would "rescue" lost parts of souls or visit the underworld for direct information that they would then relay back to the tribe or clan. This seems more of a job for an intermediary rather than an individual. I mean, I guess you could use it to find out what happened to a friend if they died and you never got to find out what happened or something like that....but other than that, I can't really think of a real use for it. Not in modern context, anyway.

~N~
    ~NITEFALLE~
    Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
    Always in search of, and one step in back of,
    Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
    ~Willie Nelson~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It can be handy for checking in on people who are far away from you.

In theory, if you can astrally-project anywhere, could you astrally project anywhen?

If you get well practised at it, I don't see why not. But I suppose you have to be in a certain state to do it and it isn't always possible to get into that sort of state.

Dj conway has a book on it flying without a broom. I think its a good book of hers, even if some say she does churn them out a bit.

You can do astral magic. Basically good if you want to do a spell and your not with your ritual tools. You can visits other times and places. Past lives. I really recommend this book. She gives so much insight rather then a basic how to do.
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

Quote Originally Posted by macha
    Anyway, this time I started thinking that if I can do it 'accidentally' then I can obviously learn to do it purposfuly reasonably easily. But that begged the question - what for? Sure, it's cool being able to look down on your body and it sure opens your senses up to the spirits around you (which I can already sense anyway) a little more, but can it actually be used FOR anything? (other than visiting shangri-la, of course :hehehehe: )
    For...lots and lots of different things.

There are lots of different types of astral travel, depending on your definition. Dreaming can be a form of astral travel; guided visualisations/pathworkings can be a form of astral travel; some people like to visit fae, which some people believe is most easily accessed on the astral; some people feel that they might meet their "teacher" or guide on the astral; past life regressions (so yes, any "when", I guess)...the list goes on.

Some types of magic can be more easily performed on the astral, like creating guardians/thoughtforms. And sometimes if astral beings that might want to give you some attention - unwanted or otherwise - it's handy to be able to handle yourself on their territory in case you have to; it's also easier to "see" their true form on the astral and get a better idea of what they're about. Some people might also "meet up" on the astral occasionally, if they can't meet physically, for rituals or whatever.

Astral projection can be handy for a number of reasons, like those above...getting the hang of astral travel makes lucid dreaming a bit easier, or other types of dreamwork. Especially if you prefer to cast a circle for your practises, sometimes it's just not possible to do that in physical space (ie in polite company), so you can do it astrally and discreetly. You can also make yourself a little "safe space" which you can visit and recharge your batteries or whatever. Starhawk gives a good one in the Spiral Dance, where you go down a rainbow into the inside of a pearl.

wow...

I get lucid dreaming a lot already; is it unusual to develop it that way round then?

Quote Originally Posted by macha
    wow...

I get lucid dreaming a lot already; is it unusual to develop it that way round then?
    I don't think so...if you can astral spontaneously, you probably just have the knack for it so it's no wonder you can lucid dream as well. Being able to control it consciously just makes the whole thing easier.

I'm gonna try n work on doing it on purpose, I think :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast