Thread: Origins of Celtic Reconstructionism?

An undisclosed hippie commune... er... college in Western NC

Question Origins of Celtic Reconstructionism?

Hi -
    I'm working on a paper for the Wiccan coursework that I'm doing, and my topic is focused on researching other types of Pagan groups - specifically Celtic Reconstructionism. I've found a lot of good, solid information on what CR currently is , but I'd really like to take a look at when CR originally started showing up, its origins and such. But I'm having a really hard time finding information on that sort of history. I don't want others to "do the work for me" or anything, but if anyone could point me in the direction of a few good resources on the origins of CR, I'd really appreciate it!
    Thanks in advance

All the angels that I know are fallen and broken
    Soaking in the muddy river
    All the angels that I love
    They don't hang out above
    They come down to deliver
    They deliver me
    - Catie Curtis

Try looking at Margot Adler's Drawing Down The Moon. She's got an entire chapter about Pagan Reconstructionism. She gives the earliest recon group as the Long Island Church of Aphrodite, by the way, established in 1938.

Maggie

Celtic Reconstructionism is thought to have originated in America during the 1970s, as far as I can recall. But that's about it...Drawing Down the Moon would be a good place to start.

Perhaps some of these sites might help you, or at least point you in the right direction - http://www.witchvox.com/lx/lx_celticrecon.html

http://www.witchvox.com/lx/dt_lx.html?a=usny&id=12144
    Last edited by Valerie; November 18th, 2004 at 06:45 PM.
    My Myspace!

"I might disagree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Depends on how you want to define it. Some of the Romanticism flair-ups could be considered as forerunners.
    "The facts do not change, but their order is given another dimension through another myth. They are experienced differently; they gain another tale."-James Hillman

Justice is blind. A witch is not.