Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: pagan children's book list

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Has anyone had any experiance with Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-Honoring Activities for Parents and Children by Cait Johnson?

I have it on order and will let you know what I think after it arrives.

Senebty!
    NefertSatSekhmet
    Daughter of Sekhmet-Mut, beloved of Bast and Aset
    Visit Sekhmet's Pride

MW Forum Guide-
    Paths: Egyptians, Tamerans, and Kemetics

Thanks so much for creating this list, treefae - and everyone else who contributed. Thank you, too, Paracelsus. I only knew about four Earthsea books. And, by the way, I wouldn't recommend book #4 of that series for younger readers. That one (and maybe book #5, but I don't know) involved some more mature subject matter than the first three.

I'll add Spindle's End to the list of children's/adolescent's literature by Robin McKinley.

Also, I recently read some of the Warriors books by Erin Hunter (actually, this is a group of people who write under one name). This series is about feral cats who live in the English countryside. There are medicine cats (shaman figures) who heal the tribe and help provide spiritual leadership by contacting their ancestors. It's a good series for pagan kids who read at the 5th to 6th grade level (or older - I thoroughly enjoyed them as an adult reader). They do contain some violent battle scenes, and some cats get injured or killed in a number of the books.
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

My website: http://www.bookofspirals.com
    My blog: http://www.bookofspirals.com/blog
    An ezine I co-founded: http://spiraltree.weebly.com

Hey Thanks for starting this.

is offline Chronic Cat Food Label Reader
    Tree Girl by T.A. Barron. I have fallen in love with this book since I was 9. Here is the summary from the main website: Website Link

"Anna doesn't know how she lost her mother. Or when. For as long as she can remember, she has lived in a lonely cottage by the sea with cranky old Mellwyn the fisherman.

But Anna yearns to know more about her past and the mother she can barely recall. If only she could go to the far side of the forest where the High Willow stands—and where Mellwyn found her as a baby, years ago.

Trouble is, the forest is haunted by deadly tree ghouls—the same ghouls who probably killed her mother! To solve the mystery of her shadowy past, Anna must face the ghouls themselves…and her own deepest fears."

The summary isn't what you think it is. It throws you off actually, and there is a twist. It's all about tree and nature spirits :D
    Last edited by shebear; August 10th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.

This is a very interesting themed thread. I was looking for pagan books for children as I want to search for, not only fiction, but non-fiction too. I have found only some nicely illustrated books about myths and legends and gods. These are designed for kids of school age, but even many ages can enjoy them. I have some already. However, I also come across a lot of Wiccan books. I want to mention this one, by Amber K "The Pagan Kids' Activity Book".
    Last edited by ~Runa~; September 27th, 2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Text error
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

If this hasn't been mentioned before, shame on all of you.

The Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett - they're suited for about the ages of 12 and up and are BRILLIANT as all of Pratchett's work is.

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4