View Poll Results: What form of blood sacrifice would you do?

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sacrifice an animal, and offer it's lifeblood

18 5.04%
  • offer soem of your own lifeblood

252 70.59%
  • Sacrifice another Human being

6 1.68%
  • Decline, and possibly suffer the wrath of your God

81 22.69%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood sacrifice

Decline

If your god is that full of wrath, you got bigger problems than that.

Salut Tobias aka Galadraal. I think you still consider me a New Pagan, but in anyway:
    I would first give all my blood that I could without endangering myself. If more was still needed I would steal an animal that was going to a slaughter house.... and offer up that blood No hesitation. The animal was going to die anyway.
    They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

If the animal is going to die anyway, what sort of sacrifice is that? To sacrifice is to make sacred. If you steal or even buy an animal just to kill it in ritual, even if you eat it afterwards, how is that a sacred sacrifice? I think any blood used should be your own or from an animal that you have raised and subsisted on, depended on to maintain your existence, an animal that has meaning to you. Otherwise it's just useless killing in my opinion. Offering some random animals' blood or life force to someone/something you're suppiosed to revere is like tossing some fast food on the table for someone when you should be giving them a meal that was prepared with love, caring, and respect. These are just my opinions, of course, and not meant to trigger debate or argument.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBear
    IMHONESTO,

If I cannot give of myself first, then I have no buisness taking it from someone else.
    precisely
    Let the beauty you love, be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth.- Rumi

I'd say a thousands words if I knew just which one would make your heartbeat.

Love All, Trust Few, and Do Wrong to No one- Shakespear

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBear
    IMHONESTO,

If I cannot give of myself first, then I have no buisness taking it from someone else.
    Presumably when you make a sacrifice you are giving something that is incredibly important to you and thus you are giving of yourself. For example, growing up we subsited on the deer my father hunted. If we were to bless that animal and give the blood and the choice portions up to the gods, we absolutely would be giving of ourselves because we would be giving up food we needed to survive. And in my opinion giving up something you need to survive is giving of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by semicivilizedman
    If the animal is going to die anyway, what sort of sacrifice is that? To sacrifice is to make sacred. If you steal or even buy an animal just to kill it in ritual, even if you eat it afterwards, how is that a sacred sacrifice? I think any blood used should be your own or from an animal that you have raised and subsisted on, depended on to maintain your existence, an animal that has meaning to you. Otherwise it's just useless killing in my opinion. Offering some random animals' blood or life force to someone/something you're suppiosed to revere is like tossing some fast food on the table for someone when you should be giving them a meal that was prepared with love, caring, and respect. These are just my opinions, of course, and not meant to trigger debate or argument.
    I suppose. But it would be a blood sacrifice nevertheless. You can argue that the sanctity would be lost... but I don't see what effect killing anything would have that would be in the will of the Heavens. I was supposing that there, they wanted blood split. The blood was spilt. End of story.
    They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

I understand what you mean, Rhys. You're talking about a blood offering. I was talking about a blood sacrifice. They're different. Still, I won't kill an animal for this under any circumstance. I have had one of the spirits that I work with ask me for a chicken twice. Each time I said no and offered something else and he was very happy. If a deity or higher power just wanted blood spilled and expected you to do it just because you're told to, I'd still say no and I wouldn't work with that being anymore. The spirits you work with should respect you as you respect them. Being commended to do anything 'just because' should be questioned, not taken as the end of the story. But I do understand what you mean. I hope you understand what I'm saying and that I'm not trying to pick a fight.

Very nice answers...I like the progression of this thread. To be honest, I tried to bring up this subject on an MSN board and was quickly banned with the last lines from the 13 year old moderator, "We don't talk about that here...we're not satanists! We are an earth based community and you are just trying to sway us from the love of the Goddess"...It is a controversial subject, but really, I think it needs to bve discussed. I'll add a new question into the mix...what about the magickal/energy properties of blood? There are many fringe groups who do use blood to enhance their magickal workings...if you look through history many Occult groups practicing ceremonial magick have used blood, not as an offering, but as a tool for summoning. What do you all think of this? Namaskare.

Tobias

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Quote Originally Posted by Galadraal
    what about the magickal/energy properties of blood? There are many fringe groups who do use blood to enhance their magickal workings...if you look through history many Occult groups practicing ceremonial magick have used blood, not as an offering, but as a tool for summoning. What do you all think of this? Namaskare.

Tobias
    Blood can be used in magical workings to bring life to something, such as when consecrating a tool or an amulet. This is one of the best ways add vitality and symbiosis with said tool and yourself, hence making it a magical extention of yourself.

I wanted to point out, on the concept of blood sacrifice. I noticed that a lot of folks said that they would be okay with it as long as they could put the remains to good use for themselves...I guess so they don't feel as though they were waisting something.
    It is a nice thought, but I don't personally agree with this.

I believe that when you offer something in sacrifice to any spirit, be it God/dess, Fae, ancestral, the essence of your offering is completely taken and used by the spirit, hence making said offering useless to you. There would literally be nothing of nutritional value left of it.

It is similar to not harvesting food past Hallows...It belongs to the fae. Once harvest time is over, anything left should be left right where it is. It would be considrered rude for you to take something that was given tp them.

I liked what Semicivlizedman said about having a harmonious relationship with your spirits. I mean, just as you wouldn't 'demand' they do anything that they weren't comfortable with, it would be expected that they not 'demand' anything from you that is not in your realm of comfort.
    Last edited by Dio; January 28th, 2005 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dio
    Blood can be used in magical workings to bring life to something, such as when consecrating a tool or an amulet. This is one of the best ways add vitality and symbiosis with said tool and yourself, hence making it a magical extention of yourself.

I wanted to point out, on the concept of blood sacrifice. I noticed that a lot of folks said that they would be okay with it as long as they could put the remains to good use for themselves...I guess so they don't feel as though they were waisting something.
    It is a nice thought, but I don't personally agree with this.

I believe that when you offer something in sacrifice to any spirit, be it God/dess, Fae, ancestral, the essence of your offering is completely taken and used by the spirit, hence making said offering useless to you. There would literally be nothing of nutritional value left of it.

It is similar to not harvesting food past Hallows...It belongs to the fae. Once harvest time is over, anything left should be left right where it is. It would be considrered rude for you to take something that was given tp them.

I liked what Semicivlizedman said about having a harmonious relationship with your spirits. I mean, just as you wouldn't 'demand' they do anything that they weren't comfortable with, it would be expected that they not 'demand' anything from you that is not in your realm of comfort.
    This is why for me they would get the blood and choice portions of the meat, with the understanding that the rest of the animal would be for myself and my family or community. And even if the rest of the meat couldn't be used, I don't think the sacrifice renders the skins and/or fur useless, nor th antlers, teeth, and hooves. The meat and drained blood given to the deity would of course be not only off limits because it is no longer mine but also as you said the essence is gone and thus useless to me.

However there are some people who seem to have no problem eating an offering or sacrifice given to the gods. This is something I personally don't understand. Not only would it not taste good, but I don't understand how you could take back something after having given it to your god. Just doesn't connect with me. I've heard the argument made that since they can't physically eat it, that once the essence is removed it's fair game. My mind doesn't work that way and so it never made sense.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast