View Poll Results: What form of blood sacrifice would you do?

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sacrifice an animal, and offer it's lifeblood

18 5.04%
  • offer soem of your own lifeblood

252 70.59%
  • Sacrifice another Human being

6 1.68%
  • Decline, and possibly suffer the wrath of your God

81 22.69%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood sacrifice

A good argument Morag...but, in defence of those who do (I.E. Muslims, who offer bulls to Allah on the final days of the Hajj and then share the meat with the poorest of the community), perhaps it is a symbolic gesture of showing that God's generosity and power...giving free food to the poor and starving. Or, even, perhaps a way to strengthen someone's faith in a God, if the God had not asked for the sacrifice, then that free food would'nt be there for the starving child or old man.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Luciferish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Galadraal
    A good argument Morag...but, in defence of those who do (I.E. Muslims, who offer bulls to Allah on the final days of the Hajj and then share the meat with the poorest of the community), perhaps it is a symbolic gesture of showing that God's generosity and power...giving free food to the poor and starving. Or, even, perhaps a way to strengthen someone's faith in a God, if the God had not asked for the sacrifice, then that free food would'nt be there for the starving child or old man.

There is more to it than that... Through death, consumption and so forth there is a metaphysical transmutation that occures.. As in the sacrement of bread and wine for christians, the sharing the meats of sacrifice with the poor allows God to manifest within the Poorest of people, exhaulting them for a short time to high spritual status. This transmutes the Spiritual sustinance to God, making the Poor the mediators of that energy. Sacrifice is more than just killing something in the name of God and giving it to the poor, you kill it in the name of God and give it TO him THROUGH the most humble and simple people who walk in his path. Puting them closer to God for a short time, hopefully that he may exchange it for much needed spiritual and physical strength and sustinance which is more needed by them on all levels.
    Last edited by Luciferish; January 30th, 2005 at 06:22 AM. Reason: I can't spell for crap, Too much Imbolc before posting

Thank you for that Luciferus...whenput like that it seems giving out the offerings to a God is a good thing. What do you others think?

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

is offline Time And Relative Dimension In Space
    Quote Originally Posted by M˛rag Elasaid MacDh˛mhnaill
    However there are some people who seem to have no problem eating an offering or sacrifice given to the gods. This is something I personally don't understand. Not only would it not taste good, but I don't understand how you could take back something after having given it to your god. Just doesn't connect with me. I've heard the argument made that since they can't physically eat it, that once the essence is removed it's fair game. My mind doesn't work that way and so it never made sense.
    Well, I think of it as "gods' leftovers" and blessed by their contact, so it would be a kind of sacramental act to consume what the god has left. (or if you will, a magical act connecting me to the animal and to my gods) And sharing it, I agree, would be sharing of that blessing. I agree that they partake of the essence and not usually the physical, but I don't see it as empty or whatever after they're done; I see it as blessed. I dunno.

Tashi delek!
    Dawa Lhamo
    Before you accuse someone of LYING, please read this first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd have to decline. But then again, I don't think my God will ever ask for a blood sacrifice. All he (just a pronoun, I believe God is genderless or is of both genders) only demands that I love him and my neighbors (everyone) as myself.

I can understand why the ancients did it, but I don't believe animal sacrifice is necessary in this day and age. I don't think that something as grand as the Divine requires something as small and mundane as blood.

If my deities asked it of me, I would seriously reconsider these deities.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandoras
    I can understand why the ancients did it, but I don't believe animal sacrifice is necessary in this day and age. I don't think that something as grand as the Divine requires something as small and mundane as blood.

If my deities asked it of me, I would seriously reconsider these deities.
    I am going to have to side you with on this one. You completely took me away there. Careful, I might start worshipping your toes soon.
    They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

Quote Originally Posted by M˛rag Elasaid MacDh˛mhnaill
    I would have no problem offering an animal sacrifice if it were necessary.
    How do you know when it's "necessary"?

i've never actually faced such dire situations in which i felt blood sacrifice is actually necessary, so i have never practised such a thing. if i felt it were necessary i would probably use the first option. i'd get a chicken or rabbit or goose, i would use the blood as a sacrifice and probably have the rest of the animal for dinner with friends or family.

My own blood I have no problems with. There are many small practical applications for it. As long as it wasn't so regular an occurance that it started feeling vampyric, I would have no issue with a Divinity demanding a few drops here and there as part of our relationship or as part of a working.

In theory I don't have a problem with life sacrifices of humans (inc myself) and animals. Practically I do. I know I don't, and doubt there are really all that many who do, have the skill to use the sacrifice well (to make it a sacrifice instead of simply a ritualistic slaying.) One done badly, a sham of a sacrifice, strikes me as being one of the most atrocious actions not simply for the wasted life but because of the disrespect of the sanctity of life... a real sacrifice does not deny that sanctity, but exhalts it. Further, it is so symbolically basic and charged that there isn't anything at the moment that I feel like I should meddle with and twist to what I want from it that requires (or possibly could even withstand) that sort of power thrown at it. I disapprove of using nukes on houseflies. There are uses I can see for it (like bringing a body of worshippers and divinity into communion) but I don't happen to have a body of worshippers I'm mediating for or any divinities I'm trying to invoke that thoroughly. There are things I would love to see changed in the world, but I've worked enough magic to know simply throwing power at a situation and saying "change x" is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

So, if a divinity asked me to offer such, I would have to either have a relationship with that divinity that allowed me to trust their request as being something necessary or that I would want to assist.
    "The facts do not change, but their order is given another dimension through another myth. They are experienced differently; they gain another tale."-James Hillman

Justice is blind. A witch is not.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast